Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, BF! G'day, mate!

Jay, I've been learning the basket weave stitch (crochet). Do you know it? I love it but it's quite labor intensive and eats up a LOT of yarn. But I really do love the way it looks.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
It starts with one innocent stitch. You're just minding your own business and someone says, "here, let me show you how to crochet" and you think, "what could it hurt? It's just once. I won't get hooked". But it's a slippery slope and before you know it, you're crocheting all the time. You're using your last bit of money for one more skein of yarn. Just one more. But it's always "just one more". ALWAYS! And before you realize it, you're out of control and there's just. No. Stopping!

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Urg. I have a stack of baking to do for next week, so I'm trying to work out my timing, and I'm forgetting a biscuit. What biscuit have I forgotten?!

- - - Updated - - -

Your Nutella cookies might get a whirl this year.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, BF! G'day, mate!

Jay, I've been learning the basket weave stitch (crochet). Do you know it? I love it but it's quite labor intensive and eats up a LOT of yarn. But I really do love the way it looks.

No, I don't know the basket weave stitch. Sounds complicated.

Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Urg. I have a stack of baking to do for next week, so I'm trying to work out my timing, and I'm forgetting a biscuit. What biscuit have I forgotten?!

- - - Updated - - -

Your Nutella cookies might get a whirl this year.

It's only a problem if you want to stop and/or don't enjoy it. :)

Can't tell you what biscuit you're forgetting if I don't know which ones you're making!

I just mixed up a Portuguese orange, honey, almond cake for Mr C. He got the recipe off the SMH site and asked me to make it. Fiddly. Very fiddly. I hope it turns out and he likes it, though.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Oh, I have a super easy (and yum) flourless orange and almond cake recipe if you ever want a less-fiddly one (no honey though). It just takes time, coz you have to boil the oranges for a couple of hours first.

I'm so far doing spider biscuits, Florentines, chocolate-dipped meringue bites, French macarons, and either Lil's Nutella bikkies or Snickerdoodles (haven't decided yet). Oh, and almond bread. And three cakes.

Hmm. That might actually be enough. Looks like kinda a lot when I type it out like that!

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
I refuse to admit I have a problem. And yes, I enjoy it.

Jay, Google or YouTube "basket weave stitch" and tell me what you think. You're much better than I am at crochet, you could do it easily. I'm trying but it's hard.

Man, PB Nutella cookies sound SO good right now.

- - - Updated - - -

BF-- what's the occasion??

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
*has American moment*

I'm thinking, what do you mean you're forgetting what kind of biscuit? There's like, regular and buttermilk. What's to forget?

It's a cookie, kids. COOKIE. Say it with me now. I'll say maths if you say cookie.

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
So, hey, I'm not working today. (Yay!) But I'm sitting here waiting for a fence-guy our neighbour arranged (he needs access to our place, too). "Some time after 11:00" is proving to be a pretty broad estimate. Sigh. I need to get my almond bread started (phase 1, anyway. It'll be finished on Sunday).

I hate waiting around for builders.

- - - Updated - - -

Jewish New Year, Lil.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I have a super easy (and yum) flourless orange and almond cake recipe if you ever want a less-fiddly one (no honey though). It just takes time, coz you have to boil the oranges for a couple of hours first.

I'm so far doing spider biscuits, Florentines, chocolate-dipped meringue bites, French macarons, and either Lil's Nutella bikkies or Snickerdoodles (haven't decided yet). Oh, and almond bread. And three cakes.

Hmm. That might actually be enough. Looks like kinda a lot when I type it out like that!

I think I'll stick with the dirtying a billion bowls rather than boiling oranges for hours, thanks. :)

How about Linzer cookies? If you want something pretty. Sounds like you're baking for an army!

I refuse to admit I have a problem. And yes, I enjoy it.

Jay, Google or YouTube "basket weave stitch" and tell me what you think. You're much better than I am at crochet, you could do it easily. I'm trying but it's hard.

Man, PB Nutella cookies sound SO good right now.

- - - Updated - - -

BF-- what's the occasion??

Ah, yes, I googled it. Looks a bit fiddly but fairly easy once you get the hang of it. Right now I'm trying to do a knotted edge on the shawl/scarf I made for a Christmas pressie.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
We have three lunches and two dinners to attend next week. I'm the resident family-baker. On the upside -- I get to miss a couple of days of work to do nothing to eat. On the downside -- lots of baking, and so much to eat!

Cookies have choc chips. The others are biscuits. :tongue

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, Jewish people get their own New Year? Like the Chinese? Damn. Can I be Chinese-Jewish? Seriously! I'm missing all the fun.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting for tradies who apparently cannot tell time is extremely frustrating.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
We have three lunches and two dinners to attend next week. I'm the resident family-baker. On the upside -- I get to miss a couple of days of work to do nothing to eat. On the downside -- lots of baking, and so much to eat!

Cookies have choc chips. The others are biscuits. :tongue

Sounds like a fabulous time!

Also... I always call them cookies, but I do know what the 'born here' Aussies mean by 'biscuit'. :)

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
We're up to year 5777, baby.

And yes, you people definitely need more festivals. Easter stuff wouldn't be on shelves the day after Christmas if you had more things to celebrate throughout the year! :D

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Waiting for tradies who apparently cannot tell time is extremely frustrating.

It's extra annoying, coz I'm pretty sure he's next door right now (he's one of the pool-building people).

- - - Updated - - -

I need to start separating eggs, but don't want them to collapse if he arrives.

- - - Updated - - -

But if he doesn't show up for hours, I can't afford to wait to start the damn almond bread. Annoyed.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
It's extra annoying, coz I'm pretty sure he's next door right now (he's one of the pool-building people).

- - - Updated - - -

I need to start separating eggs, but don't want them to collapse if he arrives.

- - - Updated - - -

But if he doesn't show up for hours, I can't afford to wait to start the damn almond bread. Annoyed.

If you're sure he's next door, I'd go knock on the door and tell him to get his arse over to your place because you have things to do and can't wait all freaking day for him!

*ahem* Also, they put Valentines stuff in the grocery stores before the Easter stuff. *g*

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, you two. I am too tried to try to follow your conversation. I guess that means it's time for me to go to bed. Maybe tonight I will actually sleep all the way through.

Good luck with baking and projects and husbands and whatever else is going on.

G'night! :kiss:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Well, his primary job is building the pool. He's kind of doing us a favour by fixing our fence, so I don't want to be too demanding!

And true, there is Valentine's Day, and New Year, and Halloween in the US to break up the Xmas/Easter duology ... but they're secular things that everyone celebrates. Xmas/Easter stuff always arrive in-store way too early.

- - - Updated - - -

Goodnight, Lil!

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Hmm. I'm thinking if I crack some eggs, it's a surefire way to get this guy to show up...

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but there's being demanding, and actually getting things sorted so you can get on with your tasks for the day, you know?

Well, there's also Australia Day between Christmas and Easter. I dunno why we can't just have all secular holidays, to be honest. I mean, a lot of people celebrate Christmas - but how many actually go to church and all that for it? (I don't) I'd be quite happy to do without Easter too. What on earth do Chocolate eggs and bunnies have to do with the whole religious side of it?

Sorry, got a bit carried away. I'll get off my soap box now.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. I'm thinking if I crack some eggs, it's a surefire way to get this guy to show up...

:roll: That method rarely fails!

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Well, there's also Australia Day between Christmas and Easter. I dunno why we can't just have all secular holidays, to be honest. I mean, a lot of people celebrate Christmas - but how many actually go to church and all that for it? (I don't) I'd be quite happy to do without Easter too. What on earth do Chocolate eggs and bunnies have to do with the whole religious side of it?

Can't disagree.

I'm not at all religious (I'm a happy atheist), but our festivals have little if nothing to do with god and 'religion'. They're generally about family (And food. Lots and lots of food) and remembering historical events.

:roll: That method rarely fails!

Also, going to the bathroom.