Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Doing good here. I'm off work 'til Monday. YAY! My Dad's got to work Black Friday, though /no surprise/ That's NEVER fun

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
That sucks for your dad, Quentin. I can't think of anything that would be worse... except maybe working retail on Christmas Eve.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I always work Xmas Eve. And NYE, for that matter. At least it always dies off a bit in the afternoons.

*decides again to move to the beach*

- - - Updated - - -

I'm okay, Jay. Sweltering though.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
MY ALIEN ZEBRA!! :e2kissy:

Oh, how I’ve missed your striped soul.

While you guys chatted it up, I made PB Haystacks, Log Cabin Bars, Watergate salad, and have a pecan pie in the oven. Now who’s the slacker, eh? Eh?

- - - Updated - - -

I’m about to make cornbread stuffing so a I can cram it up my turkey’s...um...well, you know.

- - - Updated - - -

Innards.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m allergic to working any holiday.

Or any day at all, ever.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
How did your converse hold up Lil, ready for the sales?

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Had to ditch the Cons and wear my Asics instead.

I’m gonna stay away from the sales this year. I don’t need to any more money after my vacation. I don’t do crowds, and after five days in Disneyworld and Universal Studios, I’ve been around way more crowds than I can handle for a while. I had a full-blown anxiety attack when I got sandwiched in this crowd of people in a small hallway while waiting for one of the rides. Had a complete meltdown. It wasn’t pretty. Soooo, I’m gonna stay away from sales, Black Friday, and the chaos.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds a worry Lil, see why you weren't looking forward to it ,well done though.

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hate to be a pedant but Alien z Makes it universally famous

But that’s only true if she is communications with her home planet.

Beanie has a point. Lil's auto-correct is both world famous and universally famous. :D

Gah -- I've been so AWOL with crazy work (I HATE this time of year. It's good for business to be so busy, but terrible for me). How've you guys been? Bryan, are you still home?

Nope. Sadly, I flew back to Jacksonville on Monday. Got in at 11:50pm monday night. Didn’t get to bed until after 2am. The visit home was far to short, but I did get to see everyone and got the work computer swap accomplished and the doctor visits done, and without headaches till Friday. It kinda sucked for the weekend, but I was oh so happy to have a few extra days without headaches.

So, how about it BF? Do you beam Lil’s autocorrect back to Alien Zebra World (AZW?) :)

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Yoiks. That does not sound like fun, BF. I'm glad it at least dies off a bit in the afternoon.

Way to go on the making stuff, Lil! You're totally killing it! Not good about the full-blown panic attack, though. :(

I have to go to the shopping centre at some point to get some yarn to join up all the bits for #1's blanket... and I'm not really looking forward to it. I'm hoping we can get in and out very quickly when we go (which will not be today - only a lunatic would go shopping in the afternoon).

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Bryan!

So, I’m trying something different this year...I’m going to “roast” my turkey in the crock pot. It’s supposed to make the meat way more juicy and tender than oven-roasting. I prefer a fried turkey but I couldn’t find one this year and don’t own a fryer. Anyway, the bird is in the crock pot with carrots, onions, and seasonings and will cook on low all night. I’ll add potatoes tomorrow morning (so they don’t get too soft). I’m a little scared....what if I ruin it?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone ever crock-pot cooked a turkey?

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know you could get a crock pot large enough to hold a turkey. It should be fine though, I would think. I just don't think you'll get crisp skin, if you want that.

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Bryan!

So, I’m trying something different this year...I’m going to “roast” my turkey in the crock pot. It’s supposed to make the meat way more juicy and tender than oven-roasting. I prefer a fried turkey but I couldn’t find one this year and don’t own a fryer. Anyway, the bird is in the crock pot with carrots, onions, and seasonings and will cook on low all night. I’ll add potatoes tomorrow morning (so they don’t get too soft). I’m a little scared....what if I ruin it?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone ever crock-pot cooked a turkey?

I didn't know you could get a crock pot large enough to hold a turkey. It should be fine though, I would think. I just don't think you'll get crisp skin, if you want that.

Thank you Jay! I was thinking either that’s a really big crockpot, or its a really small bird.

I haven’t ever done a turkey, but I have done a whole ‘baked’ chicken in a crockpot. It turned out super moist as I recall, but the skin never developed that nice crisp that comes from the oven.

You know that Walmart is carrying kitchen top turkey fryers right? I saw them tonight when I went to pick up a perscription (the final pill in my cluster headache cocktail).

So far, I haven’t had a headache since I got back. But the magical window is about to close. So I’m glad that I have everything I need.

The baking sounds amazing Lil! We bought our thanksgiving dinner from Publix (though we still have to cook the bird or something tomorrow ...). And then Mom is going to work in the kitchen tomorrow to make the candied yams and greenbeen casserole (thank your choice in deities / agnostic vague individual that she let up on the chestnut stuffing, and didn’t try to do anything with ruttebega or turnips)

I’m off to call the fam!

:e2bear:

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for no headache! Fingers crossed the magical window closes with still no headache, Bry!

#2 has to go for a 'trial' two hours on Monday for the job he had an interview for last week. Fingers crossed that he gets this. Not only is the office conveniently located (aka he can take the bus there), but it will help him to turn his focus outward rather than inward.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, BF.

Sounds like you need to sit and put your feet up for a while.

How's your new shiny going? Still excited about it?

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
New shiny's on the backburner while I dive into agent/query research. Sequel to MS1 is screaming loudly at me, but I'm trying v.hard to ignore it (it's puttering away in my subconscious constantly).

My feet are most definitely up. Doing some (beta) reading. I'd say I'm chilling out, but the house is too hot for that. I could try out my fancy new air con, but I'm too lazy to stand up to get the remote.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
G’mornin’ and Happy Thanksgiving!

Okay, all you doubters, my turkey fit into my crockpot just fine. It’s a big crockpot and a smallish birb but it’ll last us days. The birb won’t get crispy skin but ewww gross, skin is SKIN. Why would you eat it?!? *overcome with veganism* My fam will have to suffer through the not-crispiness in order to get the moistness.

Got up early, got the dough done, put rolls on pan, and am waiting for them to rise. Added diced potatoes to the current mixture in the crock pot, and now I’m back in bed. House smells yummy, Roomba is vacuuming, kids are sleeping....it’s the perfect day so far.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
I sure am thankful for you guys. Not sure what I’d have done without you, both in writing and my personal life.

*gropes you all uncomfortably, discusses politics, comments on something I find dysfunctional in your life without realizing I’m being a hypocrite, eats more than my share of potatoes, and insults your mother*

There! Now you’ve experienced Thanksgiving the Blaire Family way.

*acts like an expert on a subject I don’t know anything about*

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
*drinks too much and vomits on your new carpet*

- - - Updated - - -

Yay, Thanksgiving!!

- - - Updated - - -

*refuses to discipline my terrible children*

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
It's okay Thanksgiving is at least one of those days every year where you can lax your parenting skills. Let the kids run rampant! I'm getting the upstairs clean. The little cousins are always nosy and want to look at the bedrooms. Ha ha! It's okay. I was a kid once. There's something about looking at the 'older kis' room that is just so cool. I guess I never really grew out of that. Now I'm interested in seeing what people's entire homes look like.

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow Lil, you have certainly been productive today! I have been a slug. Got up around 11am this morning. It was nice to sleep in.

Our bird gets warmed in an hour or so. Mom has done the green bean casserole and is working on the candied yams now. So I lucked out — no cooking for me this year!

- - - Updated - - -

Happy thanksgiving American folks, Happy regular day to everyone else!