Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's AMY!

No, wait, an acronym like that might cause problems.

"I'm off to AMY to get rubbed-down and moved around."

Yeah, no, gotta work on that.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Good day, all! (Nah, I didn't move to AU; it's just to late for good morning.) Apropos of nothing relevant to anything anyone has been talking about:

Does anyone here know about website design techniques? I'm trying to figure out the name of a design element I like (it's an effect like a slide show). It is not parallax scrolling as far as I know.

Thanks in advance.

I think I figured it out. It is called either an image slider or a responsive image slider.

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...sadly, web design isn't my specialty. Wish I could help.

Yeah, there isn't much relevant to add to a conversation that was pretty senseless in the first place.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all. :hi:

With regards to the very (almost, sort of) serious conversation Lil and Bos were having... I consider myself a writer because I have stories in my head that want to come out. Yeah, I've had a few published previously, but lately I just write for myself and a few friends because the stories want out of my head, no matter what. Also, you are most definitely an artist, Lil. Having your work displayed in a gallery is not, in my humble opinion, the only thing that makes an artist. In fact, it might be the very last thing. Like writing, you have art in you that wants to come out, and you earn money from your art, so not only are you an artist, but you're a professional artist too!

Can't help you with the web design question, MRF. Sorry.

Also, for the record, I consider myself a cynically optimistic realist. :) I hope for the best, don't expect it to happen, and prepare for the worst.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Jay!

Yes, I agree with your whole paragraph.

And I actually do secretly wish for the best. Doesn’t everyone?

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Lil! :hi:

Yeah, you'd have to be an extreme pessimist with a side of masochism to wish or hope for the worst.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Lol. I’m not even going to touch on the subject of masochism. :evil

I’m taking my kid to the movies. I’ll be back tonight—I hope you’re around to chat. :kiss:

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the posts backwards today because why not?

GADS! There is an extreme heat warning coming my way Monday. I hope it fails to come to fruition.

Does anyone here know about website design techniques? I'm trying to figure out the name of a design element I like (it's an effect like a slide show). It is not parallax scrolling as far as I know.

Thanks in advance.

I think I figured it out. It is called either an image slider or a responsive image slider.

I know stuff. Some of that stuff too. I have an image slider built into my website but I currently don't use it as I have nothing for it, BUT I really like them.

Morning all. :hi:

With regards to the very (almost, sort of) serious conversation Lil and Bos were having... I consider myself a writer because I have stories in my head that want to come out. Yeah, I've had a few published previously, but lately I just write for myself and a few friends because the stories want out of my head, no matter what. Also, you are most definitely an artist, Lil. Having your work displayed in a gallery is not, in my humble opinion, the only thing that makes an artist. In fact, it might be the very last thing. Like writing, you have art in you that wants to come out, and you earn money from your art, so not only are you an artist, but you're a professional artist too!

Also, for the record, I consider myself a cynically optimistic realist. :) I hope for the best, don't expect it to happen, and prepare for the worst.

I haven't read this yet but I agree with J and I love the last bit.
Hey, Lil! :hi:

Yeah, you'd have to be an extreme pessimist with a side of masochism to wish or hope for the worst.

Sounds like an antagonist to me!

catesquire

<3<3<3
Registered
Reaction score
Off topic (or on topic?): now that I have found this thread it is driving me insane. How does one check the reputation points of themselves and others? I found the FAQ explanation of what they are, but as a person who is highly motivated by intangible arbitrary internet points, I must know how to check.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Lol. I’m not even going to touch on the subject of masochism. :evil

I’m taking my kid to the movies. I’ll be back tonight—I hope you’re around to chat. :kiss:

Probably a wise decision not to touch the topic of masochism. :D

I should be around. Hope you enjoy the movie!

Hey, Southy! :hi: I hope you don't get that extreme heat. It's October. What IS Ma Nature thinking?

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Off topic (or on topic?): now that I have found this thread it is driving me insane. How does one check the reputation points of themselves and others? I found the FAQ explanation of what they are, but as a person who is highly motivated by intangible arbitrary internet points, I must know how to check.

Hi catesquire. :welcome: Click on settings up in the top right corner. This will take you to a screen with threads you've recently visited. It will also list recent reps you've received, with a total of reps received in the top bar of that section, and below that will be the section of reps you've given, and the point value of your reps. I'm currently sitting on 2 points per rep. I THINK it might go up to 3 when I hit 10K posts, but don't quote me on that. :)

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know you didn't say "author". I was just...ya know...telling you my take on things.

I don't know...telling someone you like art, or that you paint, doesn't give the same impression as saying, "I'm an artist." On other other hand, I often have to explain to people that art is actually my career, not just my hobby. It can be slightly annoying. Like, "No, I'm not saying I like to draw cute stick figures. I mean that if you want me to paint that portrait of your grandma, I'm gonna charge you because that's how I make a living."

Oh my, I've been there. I often go with illustrator it avoids confusion and questions. I hate questions. And I hate having to explain.LOL

I think that's called "physical therapy."

OMG! This set of posts! :ROFL:

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know you didn't say "author". I was just...ya know...telling you my take on things.

I don't know...telling someone you like art, or that you paint, doesn't give the same impression as saying, "I'm an artist." On other other hand, I often have to explain to people that art is actually my career, not just my hobby. It can be slightly annoying. Like, "No, I'm not saying I like to draw cute stick figures. I mean that if you want me to paint that portrait of your grandma, I'm gonna charge you because that's how I make a living."

I think that's called "physical therapy."

Sure, if you say so.

I was published in a magazine so I consider myself an author. By the very loosest of terms. Just like I consider myself an artist because I get paid for what I do. But I mean...seriously? It's not like I've got my work in galleries (anymore).

Whatever you call it, I can't seem to walk away.

Yup yous an author, writer, artist, paint. Yous it all. That said...I have the same issues. It's all mind set and current applications of said writing and painting. One good days, when I all in a good mood. I am an author--I have the magazine and paycheck to prove it. I am a artist - got the stock and paycheck ... (okay both those paychecks are gone but you know what I mean.) Still on crumby days, I "toy" with writing and dabble with pens and paint.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, she clearly is mad as a hatter.

As long as I get a warm summer where I don't have to wear more than shorts and t-shirts, I'll be happy. I'm tired of wearing sweaters!

catesquire

<3<3<3
Registered
Reaction score
Hi catesquire. :welcome: Click on settings up in the top right corner. This will take you to a screen with threads you've recently visited. It will also list recent reps you've received, with a total of reps received in the top bar of that section, and below that will be the section of reps you've given, and the point value of your reps. I'm currently sitting on 2 points per rep. I THINK it might go up to 3 when I hit 10K posts, but don't quote me on that. :)

*follows directions, parsing these strange new this-to-that ratios as she goes* *enlightenment dawns like the sun over a majestic Canadius birdinhatius*

Thank you! <3

I now return you to your regularly scheduled not-touching-of-masochism, already in progress.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
*follows directions, parsing these strange new this-to-that ratios as she goes* *enlightenment dawns like the sun over a majestic Canadius birdinhatius*

Thank you! <3

I now return you to your regularly scheduled not-touching-of-masochism, already in progress.

You're very welcome! Canadius, eh... you're not by chance from Canada, are you? :) (I'm Canadian/Australian)

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
:hi:

Holiday BF, checking in. :)

Yesterday was miserable and wet. Today is glorious and sunny, and I awoke to find Mr BF on our balcony, reading my book (eek! somebody hold me!!) We're currently debating whether to sit by the pool and read, or go for a long walk along the beach. It's a tough life.

:welcome: catesquire!

I have a question for you: Cat Esquire, or Cate Squire? I'm hoping for the regal feline myself. Because cats.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Yes, because cats. Except Jackson. He's got a big enough head as it is. And a demonic one at that.

BF, so glad to hear the day was lovely for you. I'm rooting for a sane mother nature for the rest of your vacation.

I was playing (well working) on my website, and with the term image slider in hand, I managed to find a site design that I like. But damned if I can make it work as advertised...

I think my econ project ate my patience.

So, even though I've written a book I have a hard time calling myself a writer, let alone an author. I write the occasional blog post. I've been fighting too much with myself to write much lately.

I will, however, call myself an editor. [I'm having a really bad lack of confidence day today. Sigh. But I had a good night's sleep--even slept in--and the blurry eye is gone (for good, I hope).]

Sadly, today I discovered that there are patches of hair missing on my dog's neck. I took off her collars, thinking they were rubbing the fur off. But I think the real problem was the flea and tick collar, so I cut that off too. I'm hoping that the skin calms down and the hair grows back. But I don't know what we're going to do about fleas and ticks. I found a tick on my glove earlier in the week, so I know those are still around in the woods. They don't ever seem to go away, not even with snow on the ground.

I have a real fear of ticks because I think a tick bite and Lyme disease were instrumental in the stomach issues I have.

So, I see a visit to the vet in my near future.

Lil, what movie did you guys see? And was it good? I was supposed to plan something for myself to do this weekend, like go to a movie. But I haven't planned anything yet, except grocery shopping, which I should have done today, but didn't. Instead I practiced writing run-on sentences.

And Jaymz: AustraloCanadiensus?

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, BF! :hi:

Glad the weather is behaving for you!

I vote for walk along the beach and then sit by the pool and read. Best of both worlds. :) Woo hoo for Mr BF reading your book! I hope he enjoys it!