Tapestries 1600s

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I've searched a bit, but haven't found the answer.

I am wanting to know if a tapestry was hung on a wall, would they have something like a small sign attached or something that would identify the story being told in the tapestry?

Last edited:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Cooee, my understanding is that these visual stories were known and understood, so no note was needed. It was meant as visual storytelling, so, really, adding a sign would defeat the purpose. For instance, if you had a guy with an arrow sticking out of him, you knew it was St. Sebastian, and if he had stones at his feet, it was probably St. Stephen. If it were a nonreligious topic, there would be hints, and people who saw it would presumably know who was in it and what it meant because they were in more private places. For instance, I saw a tapestry at the V & A depicting a hunt, and the figures in the tapestry represented real people (the ones who commissioned it). If you were a guest or a servant, you could probably piece out who was who. If not, somebody might be there to enlighten you. They were usually put in private or public/private spaces. Something like the Bayeux Tapestry was meant to be more public, and it does have what amount to (Latin) captions woven into it, doesn't it?

That could be a small point for your character, who puzzles over a tapestry they see, or who just loooves to tell everyone all about the wonderful tapestry on their wall.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hardly the expert, but my understanding is that tapestries were a visual telling of stories people were already familiar with, from the Bible or occasionally mythology.

Except in art museums, you don't see plaques telling the story behind representative art works. Tapestries were not initially hung in art museums but in palaces and cathedrals, for the most part, weren't they?

Maryn, waiting for the art people to arrive

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Tapestries were luxury items especially commissioned that could take years to weave, so they definitely were only in the high end homes and castles.

I'm not sure I ever heard of a tapestry in a cathedral. This is not to say they weren't there; it only reflects my lack of experience.

They were not labeled. It was assumed everyone knew the stories and would recognize what was going on.

Very rarely, say in a late baroque tapestry imitating a painting or print, you might have a little epigram or poem or dedication or something woven right in at the bottom (this one may be an example: https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/carenginecare/LeRoiSoleil.jpg ).

But most tapestries don't have any words at all and back then no one so far as I know thought to add explanatory texts nearby.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've searched a bit, but haven't found the answer.

I am wanting to know if a tapestry was hung on a wall, would they have something like a small sign attached or something that would identify the story being told in the tapestry?

No. Even then, not enough people could read. Tapestries are motif and incident based; sort of like frames from a comic book.

Sometimes they have an actual narrative, like the Bayeux tapestry, but even then, it's told in frames.

This is a free exhibit catalog from the Metropolitan, who made many of their otherwise expensive and high-production value books free to download.

Tapestry in the Renaissance