Series Substantive Enough Without Much Conflict?

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
Unpublished writer here.

I have a series in progress based on stories told at bedtime to my son. I am concerned that I've not included enough conflict. The books are geared toward children between the ages 4 and 8, but I have no idea of chapter vs. picture book at this point. The only one I've sent out to a couple of avid readers for feedback is around 1300 words long, if that helps.

The books are about two characters having travel adventures, with a dose of engineering or science or how-things-work in each one.

For example, in one, the lead character didn't pay attention to a windsurfing lesson, has a little trouble figuring things out, ends up falling in the water, and has to get back on board. The incident is not emphasized heavily in the story.

I know this is a short description of the problem of the lack of a problem (ha!), but any advice?

Thanks,

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
1300 is a longish picture book, but far too short for a chapter book. (4000-13,000 words, with those being extremes on each side). You might be able to make it an early reader book, but for the age range you state.

4-8 isn't really a marketing category, either. 6-8 would be, but the reading differential between your avg. 4 year old and your avg. 8 year old is too wide for them to be in the same marketing category. You're talking Pre-K vs. 3rd grade.

Have you ever checked out Verla Kay's blueboards? They're specific to children's writing and might give you a better understanding.

Also, read Jennifer Laughran's posts on the subject, including word count. Here's one: http://literaticat.blogspot.com/2011/05/wordcount-dracula.html

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Agreeing that the age range seems a bit broad. The upper end of that range would probably prefer a little more substance. But some early introduction to science and how things work sounds like it has potential. (I've seen books from this series go through the library, for instance.)

Have you tried reading up on the categories you're shooting for? Picture book vs chapter book, for instance, would seem to have different requirements, and 4-year-olds (and their parents - remember, it's the grown-up who guides reading choices in younger kids, so you have to appeal to them) and 8-year-olds (who might have a little more say, but will still likely have a grown-up steering them) will have different vocabularies and levels of comprehension. Head to your library and check out some popular titles, picture book and early reader, and see where your stories lie (or where you feel more comfortable aiming them towards.)

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice!

I did start out with a concept of the story as a picture book, but really each story might be a little dense for a picture book. I've seen really dense picture books, but they seem to be the exception, not the norm.

I'll check out the sites above, and since I'm close to my 50-limit for Share Your Work, I may be revise yet again and post one of the stories there.

They're travel adventures first and foremost (beach, forest, mountain, a plane ride, windsurfing) with a little science (e.g, how waves work) or a tiny bit of engineering (details on sand castles).

The characters would be entertaining for 5 and under, but the details on the places and the science would catch the attention of 5 year-olds and up to a certain maturity level. Perhaps research at the above sites will help me target a primary and secondary age range.

And this still doesn't address the enough-conflict issue. Maybe that needs to wait until I share my work?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Re: the conflict issue. Yes you're right it's really hard to tell until you share. Generally though I recommend thinking about the rule of three. So for your windsurfing example, you don't have to have a shark come along and threaten his life. But if he tries three times to successfully get on the board and the first two times he doesn't and has to try something new (engineering/science wise: weight distribution, aiming the sail into the wind etc) and then the third time he gets it yay, that gives you a nice little shape of a story. Not a huge amount of conflict but still enough to be compelling and educational. Does that make sense?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's definitely going to take seeing the story in SYW. Plenty of kids' books have "trying until success" as the conflict, so even if it's not action packed, it could still be fine.

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
I'll think about the trying-until-success. The only thing close to a conflict is the main character not listening, falling off, and figuring out how to get back to shore -- so more of a challenge than a conflict.

Checked my other draft of another story in the series; it's right around 1300 as well. By length these are Early Readers, but they're really meant to be read aloud by the parent. I can't see bulking them up from 1300 to 5,000 for a chapter book, nor can I see streamlining them down. I can bulk them up some, with trying-until-success and other gambits to get them somewhat longer.

Four or so more posts, and SYW, here I come!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like a picture book plot to me, but the word count is way high for modern picture books. It does seem as though you have a conflict if the MC must find a way back to shore. (Man vs. Nature.) Please do look up the Blueboards and other websites suggested above. Also go to a library and bookstore and read. Ask for any adventure picture books published within the past two years. Look at how the text is structured. See if any remind you of your work.

Once you've done your research, go back to your manuscript and look for material that would be in the illustration. I bet you'll find tons to cut. Posting for critique or finding crit partners another way is also a necessary step.

Good luck.

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Debbie V.

I'm going to hold back the series from critique until I can do more research and more revision.