Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: 100 Book Summer - list so far and suggestions?

figuring it all out

100 Book Summer - list so far and suggestions?

Hi! I'm working at a library this summer so I have a lot of time on my hands. I'd be exhausted if I was writing all the time, so I'm trying to read 100 books this summer! I tend to read YA, but I'm looking for suggestions for literally anything. Also, if you want to talk about any of these books or gush about them, go ahead. I have so many good things to say about (most) of these books!

What I've read so far:
    Don't Cry - Mary Gaitskill
    The Divine Salt - Peter Blair
    Not That Kind of Girl - Siobhan Vivian
    The Raven Cycle (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, The Raven King) - Maggie Stiefvater
    Fire - Kristin Cashore
    The Last Boy and Girl in the World - Siobhan Vivian
    The Summer I Turned Pretty Series (The Summer I Turned Pretty, It's Not Summer Without You, We'll Always Have Summer) - Jenny Han
    You Know Me Well - David Levithan and Nancy LaCour
    To All The Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Han
    P.S. I Still Love You - Jenny Han
    The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater

Let me know if you have suggestions! I can get my hands on most things, since I'm surrounded by libraries!

No, you're the grease monkey. Fruitbat's Avatar
    Here are a few random books that I especially liked:

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (YA)

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

The Rosie Project
    by Graeme Simsion

Random Family by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc (nonfiction)

Flash Fiction Forward- Robert Shapard, Editor (stories)

Flash Fiction- Tom Hazuka, Editor (stories)

Crash Diet by Jill McCorkle (stories)

Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor (and the rest of the Lake Wobegon books- "comfort" books )
    Last edited by Fruitbat; 06-21-2017 at 03:10 AM.
    Story Prompts That Work: 52 Detailed, Tested Story Starters for Short Stories and Flash Fiction (for Adults and Teens)
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...mpts+that+work

Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
    http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Flash-...0670797&sr=1-1

Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction:
    http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-House-L...fee+house+lies

Blog: http://carlyberg.com/

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    I'll throw in some, mostly YA...

Every Heart a Doorway (Seanan McGuire, YA? Fantasy): A novella about what happens to those boys and girls who go on magical adventures when they return to Earth. I'm actually not sure if it's straight-up YA or not; the characters are mostly teens, but the writing and themes skew a slight bit older IMHO. Somehow it manages to be bleak and beautiful at the same time.

Vengeance Road (Erin Bowman, YA Western): In the vein of True Grit, a teen girl comes home to find her father hung by outlaws, and rides out with loaded guns for "justice." Well paced, with flawed characters who do plenty of growing up.

Ink and Bone (Rachel Caine, YA Fantasy): In an alternate world where all books and knowledge are controlled by the Great Library, the son of a famed book smuggler infiltrates their ranks... and finds the rot inside the walls even more dangerous than that without. Interesting concept with characters who are never as virtuous as they might seen (or might hope to be.)

Arabella of Mars (David E. Levine, YA? Sci-Fi): An alternate yesteryear has sailing ships plying the spaceways, as the girl Arabella races to save her family's Martian plantation from a usurper cousin. I found this in the regular SF/F section of Barnes & Noble, but I've seen it listed as YA elsewhere; the character's at the upper end of the YA spectrum, and it's the first of the series, so I figure it's a line-straddler. Fun adventure, like Horatio Hornblower crossed with ERB's Barsoom books.

Red Rising (Pierce Brown, Sci-Fi): A far-future interplanetary world of genetically engineered castes, crafted in the image of ancient Rome, sees a lowly enslaved Red from the mines of Mars joining up with a terrorist cell to take down the Gold leaders, by using illegal surgery to remake himself as a Gold. I've seen this one listed as YA, and the first book starts with the MC as a teen, but it's a pretty intense and gritty tale, and the second book starts with him at 20 and only looks to go darker.

If you're exceptionally bored, I have reviews of these and (too) many others via the link in my signature line; stop at the Descriptions if you don't want my opinions. I also strive to avoid spoilers whenever possible.
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

I read more Adult than I do YA, but I'd certainly recommend any of Rosamund Hodge's books - all YA. Cruel Beauty is her first novel. Fairytale reimaginings and absolutely gorgeous writing. She loves T.S. Eliot, which shows in her style.
    Loves to tell stories. Finds editing a necessary evil. No longer fueled by coffee (again).
    ------------

*FRESH MEAT* Red Riding Hood retelling - Chapter One now available for squirrels in SYW!
    Pirate fantasy, Book 1 - Updated Chapter 1 (drafting)
    Russian ballerina vampire romance - Chapter 1 (polishing)
    UF romance with zombies, dwarves 'n biker chicks - Chapter 1 (querying)

Bloggity blog |
    #Tweety tweets | Pinterest plot bunnies