100 Book Summer - list so far and suggestions?

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm working at a library this summer so I have a lot of time on my hands. I'd be exhausted if I was writing all the time, so I'm trying to read 100 books this summer! I tend to read YA, but I'm looking for suggestions for literally anything. Also, if you want to talk about any of these books or gush about them, go ahead. I have so many good things to say about (most) of these books!

What I've read so far:
Don't Cry - Mary Gaitskill
The Divine Salt - Peter Blair
Not That Kind of Girl - Siobhan Vivian
The Raven Cycle (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, The Raven King) - Maggie Stiefvater
Fire - Kristin Cashore
The Last Boy and Girl in the World - Siobhan Vivian
The Summer I Turned Pretty Series (The Summer I Turned Pretty, It's Not Summer Without You, We'll Always Have Summer) - Jenny Han
You Know Me Well - David Levithan and Nancy LaCour
To All The Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Han
P.S. I Still Love You - Jenny Han
The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater

Let me know if you have suggestions! I can get my hands on most things, since I'm surrounded by libraries!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here are a few random books that I especially liked:

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (YA)

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

The Rosie Project
by Graeme Simsion

Random Family by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc (nonfiction)

Flash Fiction Forward- Robert Shapard, Editor (stories)

Flash Fiction- Tom Hazuka, Editor (stories)

Crash Diet by Jill McCorkle (stories)

Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor (and the rest of the Lake Wobegon books- "comfort" books )

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I'll throw in some, mostly YA...

Every Heart a Doorway (Seanan McGuire, YA? Fantasy): A novella about what happens to those boys and girls who go on magical adventures when they return to Earth. I'm actually not sure if it's straight-up YA or not; the characters are mostly teens, but the writing and themes skew a slight bit older IMHO. Somehow it manages to be bleak and beautiful at the same time.

Vengeance Road (Erin Bowman, YA Western): In the vein of True Grit, a teen girl comes home to find her father hung by outlaws, and rides out with loaded guns for "justice." Well paced, with flawed characters who do plenty of growing up.

Ink and Bone (Rachel Caine, YA Fantasy): In an alternate world where all books and knowledge are controlled by the Great Library, the son of a famed book smuggler infiltrates their ranks... and finds the rot inside the walls even more dangerous than that without. Interesting concept with characters who are never as virtuous as they might seen (or might hope to be.)

Arabella of Mars (David E. Levine, YA? Sci-Fi): An alternate yesteryear has sailing ships plying the spaceways, as the girl Arabella races to save her family's Martian plantation from a usurper cousin. I found this in the regular SF/F section of Barnes & Noble, but I've seen it listed as YA elsewhere; the character's at the upper end of the YA spectrum, and it's the first of the series, so I figure it's a line-straddler. Fun adventure, like Horatio Hornblower crossed with ERB's Barsoom books.

Red Rising (Pierce Brown, Sci-Fi): A far-future interplanetary world of genetically engineered castes, crafted in the image of ancient Rome, sees a lowly enslaved Red from the mines of Mars joining up with a terrorist cell to take down the Gold leaders, by using illegal surgery to remake himself as a Gold. I've seen this one listed as YA, and the first book starts with the MC as a teen, but it's a pretty intense and gritty tale, and the second book starts with him at 20 and only looks to go darker.

If you're exceptionally bored, I have reviews of these and (too) many others via the link in my signature line; stop at the Descriptions if you don't want my opinions. I also strive to avoid spoilers whenever possible.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I read more Adult than I do YA, but I'd certainly recommend any of Rosamund Hodge's books - all YA. Cruel Beauty is her first novel. Fairytale reimaginings and absolutely gorgeous writing. She loves T.S. Eliot, which shows in her style.

writergirl1994

Registered
Reaction score
1. Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork
2. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
4. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
6. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
7. 1984 by George Orwell
8. Flight by Sherman Alexie
9. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
10. The Rag and Bone Shop by Robert Cormier

Note: I've highlighted the YA books on this list in blue.