• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Words that annoy you when you are writing

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an English language teacher (EFL/ESL) and I didn't learn the names for grammatical structures and the like until my TESOL grammar class, so you are definitely not alone. :)

That makes me feel better. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Yikes, only one in our career? :)

It's been overused so much, that yeah, even as someone who's attached, it gets to me in some things I read.

I do have one character who smirks somewhat frequently in my WIP, and maybe dialogue will do the trick for her, but I've noticed in life: Smirkers often say less (they just smirk because they think something's stupid or juvenile or whatever), or what they're saying isn't revealing their true attitude, like that smirk is.

I'm another who, like many of you, has to edit out "just."

I don't mind smirk if it's used correctly, though it's one of those words that probably shouldn't appear more than once or twice (at most) in a novel (I disagree with the entire career statement, but taste is highly subjective).

I think some writers will overuse words like "smirk," because we're encouraged to use strong, specific verbs in place of ones that are more vague paired with adverbs, and of course to avoid repetition of words. However, some strong verbs can call too much attention to themselves when they're overused as well (and especially if they're also misused, as smirk often is). IMO once a writer has established that a character is a smirker, the reader will probably imagine them smirking in every situation that warrants it, and everyone will want to slap the expression off that character's face (just as everyone's palm itches to slap smirkers in real life). There are also ways to reinforce this from the pov of an observing character.

God, but Tom's smug, knowing smiles were getting annoying! Sue clenched her fist so she wouldn't slap him.

"Just" has a place too. It's a voice or mood establishing word. Consider the difference between:

I just can't do it.

vs

I can't do it.

The first makes the speaker (or pov narrator) sound more frustrated than the second. But again, if overused, it probably loses its punch and becomes simply repetitive.

I'm impressed Roxxsmom and BethS. I think I was sleeping during this part of class. :)

I was too, way back when. Even a few years ago, I wouldn't have known the names or definitions for all these grammatical rules, just how to (possibly) apply them. They started to stick after I joined various writers forums and spent a lot of time googling sites like the Purdue OWL and Grammar Girl. I often double check to be sure my definitions are correct, even so.

Last edited:

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind smirk if it's used correctly, though it's one of those words that probably shouldn't appear more than once or twice (at most) in a novel (I disagree with the entire career statement, but taste is highly subjective).

I think some writers will overuse words like "smirk," because we're encouraged to use strong, specific verbs in place of ones that are more vague paired with adverbs, and of course to avoid repetition of words. However, some strong verbs can call too much attention to themselves when they're overused as well (and especially if they're also misused, as smirk often is). IMO once a writer has established that a character is a smirker, the reader will probably imagine them smirking in every situation that warrants it, and everyone will want to slap the expression off that character's face (just as everyone's palm itches to slap smirkers in real life). There are also ways to reinforce this from the pov of an observing character.

God, but Tom's smug, knowing smiles were getting annoying! Sue clenched her fist so she wouldn't slap him.

"Just" has a place too. It's a voice or mood establishing word. Consider the difference between:

I just can't do it.

vs

I can't do it.

The second makes the speaker (or pov narrator) sound more frustrated than the first. But again, if overused, it probably loses its punch and becomes simply repetitive.

I was too, way back when. Even a few years ago, I wouldn't have known the names or definitions for all these grammatical rules, just how to (possibly) apply them. They started to stick after I joined various writers forums and spent a lot of time googling sites like the Purdue OWL and Grammar Girl. I often double check to be sure my definitions are correct, even so.

This all makes sense, Roxxsmom, and I can hopefully apply it. Thanks.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm impressed Roxxsmom and BethS. I think I was sleeping during this part of class. :)

Oh, don't be. At least, not with me. :greenie I was taught this stuff but didn't retain it, and for years I was confused about gerunds and participles. I finally decided to re-educate myself on the topic some years back.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm stunned that no one has mentioned this yet:

SHRUGGED

There are so many compulsive shruggers in novels (including my own) that the verb has become almost universally detested, and usually gets dragged out and shot behind the barn by any half decent beta reader.

Also:

SIGHED

Same reason. I have to watch both of these or I will overuse them as shorthand to convey emotional reactions.

Oh, and:

WINKED

Although I'm sorta fond of that one (in real life and in fiction). Nothing beats a good WINK in my book :roll:

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, don't be. At least, not with me. :greenie I was taught this stuff but didn't retain it, and for years I was confused about gerunds and participles. I finally decided to re-educate myself on the topic some years back.

I might do that some time.

If you read a lot, what sounds right to your inner ear is usually correct.

True.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

SHRUGGED

There are so many compulsive shruggers in novels (including my own) that the verb has become almost universally detested, and usually gets dragged out and shot behind the barn by any half decent beta reader.

Also:

SIGHED

Same reason. I have to watch both of these or I will overuse them as shorthand to convey emotional reactions.

Oh, and:

WINKED

Although I'm sorta fond of that one (in real life and in fiction). Nothing beats a good WINK in my book :roll:

I do try to keep a sharp eye out for shrugging and sighing--I use them only when nothing else will do, because it's otherwise too easy for them to get out of control.

I will admit, though, that winking is something my characters almost never do. I can't stand it in real life--there's something kind of smarmy and cocksure about it that rubs me the wrong way. Don't care at all for characters who are always winking. Sorry!

Oh, and ditto with smirking characters, too. For me there needs to be a really good reason to use that.

writeonleanne

señora vaca
Registered
Reaction score
My characters have very acrobatic eyebrows. They're constantly lowering, or lifting, or having creases between them. I don't mind some eyebrow action, but I get irritated when I realize I'm overusing them for expression. I also hate when I find my characters staring or gaping too much.

Another thing that I'm weirdly nitpicky about (there's a specific term for this but I can't remember it and it's driving me up the wall): writing a series of events in a sentence. "She first began to jog, then to sprint." I can never write, "She first began to jog, then sprint."

--Edited--

Parallel structure!

Last edited:

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score

SHRUGGED

Also:

SIGHED

Oh, and:

WINKED

You have just prompted me to go through and check how often my characters do this - I think I am a major offender! (Except for wink, I don't think I have ever included that as an action, haha.) Thanks for this, as I will definitely be on the lookout for these words now!

Another one I find myself using ALL THE TIME is "quirk" - like, "Her lips quirked up." I need to run a CTRL+F on that one, too.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

SHRUGGED

Also:

SIGHED

Even worse than shrugged is shrugged his shoulders. Passive stock gesture plus redundancy. Likewise "nodded her head." What else can she nod? Her elbow?

I've shared my hatred of sighing more than a few times in SYW over the years. People don't seem to realize how negative sighs are in characterization. Nothing screams "I'm an impatient, put-upon, pity-partying, passive-aggressive wimp-ola who can't be bothered to do much about my situation" quite like a lot of sighing in the opening scene.

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing some hard editing over the last few days, and I need to add 'strong' to the list. I recall putting some of them in thinking 'urgh, really don't like it, I'll find something better later' but I'm sure they've been breeding in the interim.

I do have quite a bit of sighing in some scenes, but I can guarantee it's not the passive aggressive sort. :e2brows:

xanaphia

Registered
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to to Ctrl+f my current WIP and my completed story, out of curiosity. "Sigh" comes up 3 times in 6000 words in my WIP, so I think that's a pretty decent amount. It occurs 134 times in my 300k story, so my average is holding at about once every 2k words. I use it a lot in smut scenes, so that might be a place to start replacing it. (I have recently become fond of "hummed", which I think has a more pleasant connotation than "sighed", and might be more descriptive in that context).

Nodding came up a lot more often, but I think that is due to the nature of my works. Being collaborative, I often write my character reacting to what my partner's character did, so nodding occurs frequently. In a novel, one third to half would be cut. Something to consider, surely.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Nodding came up a lot more often, but I think that is due to the nature of my works. Being collaborative, I often write my character reacting to what my partner's character did, so nodding occurs frequently. In a novel, one third to half would be cut. Something to consider, surely.

Nodding is my nemisis. My WIP contains shapeshifters with human-level intelligence. In human form, they can speak, but in other forms, they're restricted to non-verbal forms of communication when addressed: nodding or shaking their heads, pantomime, etc.

Between trying to keep dialogue fresh when one party can't speak, and tracking who's in what physical form at a given time and finding new and interesting ways to convey this information to the reader... I wish I could draw; a more visual medium like a graphic novel would probably be a better choice for this particular story.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
(I have recently become fond of "hummed", which I think has a more pleasant connotation than "sighed", and might be more descriptive in that context).

You mean like humming a tune? That strikes me as an odd substitute for sighing.

xanaphia

Registered
Reaction score
More like a wordless sound given to indicate enjoyment or acknowledgement. Think "Mmmm."

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to to Ctrl+f my current WIP and my completed story, out of curiosity. "Sigh" comes up 3 times in 6000 words in my WIP, so I think that's a pretty decent amount. It occurs 134 times in my 300k story, so my average is holding at about once every 2k words. I use it a lot in smut scenes, so that might be a place to start replacing it. (I have recently become fond of "hummed", which I think has a more pleasant connotation than "sighed", and might be more descriptive in that context).

More like a wordless sound given to indicate enjoyment or acknowledgement. Think "Mmmm."

Hi xanaphia. I did a search and find of words in my WIP (at Gringa's suggestion) and found a lot of words I use way too often. I've been trying to cut down on them in my revisions.

The sighing is clear (just overused), but if you said someone "hummed" in a "smut" scene, I'd probably wonder about their humming of a song in that situation. :) IMO, it would be clearer to go with "Mmmm" or something in dialogue.

Jeff Bond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffbondbooks.com
"Itch." Years ago, I sent off a manuscript to an editor with this word confused with scratch ("He itched his forehead", etc) throughout. I was mortified to see it corrected a few times, and now every time I use either word, I remember and cringe.

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
"Itch." Years ago, I sent off a manuscript to an editor with this word confused with scratch ("He itched his forehead", etc) throughout. I was mortified to see it corrected a few times, and now every time I use either word, I remember and cringe.

I used to drive my mom crazy using this incorrectly as a kid. I hear it a lot, so don't feel too bad.

Rhymes with Clue

Trying to be mysterious
Registered
Reaction score
I really hate "step foot." As in, "before you step foot in the room, make sure the floor is dry." What else are you going to step with? If you want to use the idiom, it's "set foot." (I'm not sure that's really an idiom.)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I really hate "step foot." As in, "before you step foot in the room, make sure the floor is dry." What else are you going to step with? If you want to use the idiom, it's "set foot." (I'm not sure that's really an idiom.)

I've never heard "step foot" before. It must be a confusion with "set foot."