Happy Thanksgiving

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twitter hashtag for writers who write strong female characters

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmig View Post
    I think you're overthinking this. Just join in. It's a very welcoming community.
    I am quite possibly overthinking it. I do that a lot. ^^'

Sure, okay.
    Last edited by JetFueledCar; 08-29-2017 at 06:33 AM.
    "Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days, nothing else matters." - Neil Gaiman

In the Batman movies in the 60s, the Batmobile was designed to run on jet fuel. It looked cool and went fast but it could only run for about 7 seconds at a time. So now you know why a hyperactive project-hopping writer is called JetFueledCar.

It's not a political Twitter, but I'm a political person, so it amounts to the same thing.

reading all the things Anna Iguana's Avatar
    Speaking only for myself, I think there are lots of ways to be strong. When #51writers got going, I shared a few thoughts related to your concerns in another thread.

The TL;DR might be: the group started to connect writers who shared some reading/writing interests. The group has stretched to welcome any person who shows up, because the human connections among us, for fun and support, are what matters most.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, JetFueledCar. If we get to see you on Twitter, you'll see Donna (mrsmig) will cut to the chase! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JetFueledCar View Post
    I have to say I'm torn about whether I should participate in this. As an AFAB nonbinary person, I tend toward writing male characters for dysphoria reasons. But when I do write women, it's the kind of women I wish were more prominent. Not all of them are "strong." Some of them are. Some of them are soft and vulnerable but show up with steel-toed boots when the chips are down. Some are sharp but brittle. Some of them don't have to face their weakness for so long they think they're invincible, only to realize they're anything but. Some of them protect themselves by swearing never to care again, then get thrust into a place where they do it anyway.

So yes, I write "strong" female characters. I just hesitate as to whether I should join in. My books don't have quite the gender disparity of, say, Marvel, but I've still probably got about 60% male leads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Iguana View Post
    Speaking only for myself, I think there are lots of ways to be strong. When #51writers got going, I shared a few thoughts related to your concerns in another thread.

The TL;DR might be: the group started to connect writers who shared some reading/writing interests. The group has stretched to welcome any person who shows up, because the human connections among us, for fun and support, are what matters most.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, JetFueledCar. If we get to see you on Twitter, you'll see Donna (mrsmig) will cut to the chase! :-)
    I find it's helpful, when thinking about what makes for a strong female character, to take the "female" part out for a second and think about what a "strong character" is. Not a strong person necessarily, but a strong character.

IMO, a strong character is one who has agency, who moves the story forward, who is needed by the story, etc. (Ass-kicking optional.)

Then put the "female" part back into that understanding, and acknowledge that too often female characters are window dressing in a story, or "sexy lamps." The story world is a man's world. (I think this is changing a lot, though, or else I just consistently choose to read stuff that features real women these days.)

Iirc, it was reading Chuck Wendig's articles (which reference many other great articles) on the subject that helped me sort of clarify for myself what a "strong female character" is in this way.

practical experience, FTW
    Sounds like a great idea, because that's how I define my novels: stories about strong women. Just followed you on twitter, and will take a shot at the prompts! Thankyou.

Nice to meet you, AcaciaNeem! I'll look forward to seeing you around AW *and* Twitter, perhaps. :-)

Absolutely, and thanks! Just call me Neem, please. Am here on a pseudonym, because am a bit shy, but I'm sure I shall come out eventually.

This forum is so big and overwhelming, good thing I lurked a fair bit before joining in.

Quote Originally Posted by AcaciaNeem View Post
    Am here on a pseudonym, because am a bit shy.
    There's a lot of that around here. (Anna's not even a real lizard. But don't tell anyone.)

It took me months on Twitter before I posted a photo of myself. Here, I am still lizard.

mccardey, however, is 100% puppy. She hasn't aged a day.

That's actually true.

Quote Originally Posted by JetFueledCar View Post
    I am quite possibly overthinking it. I do that a lot. ^^'

Sure, okay.
    I think that "strong" is a pretty broad category too. Everyone is vulnerable in some ways, everyone has weaknesses, so strong=/=invulnerable or devoid of weakness. I always take "strong" to mean well written and interesting women who are more than just plot devices or help-meets in a story. They have agency and make choices that move the story. There should, in my opinion, be great diversity in terms of one's approach to gender roles and so on.

I've been mostly off twitter lately. I got so tired of never getting more than one or two responses to anything I shared, and of following people who don't follow me back or respond to anything I say in response to their tweets. I've no idea how to say or share anything on twitter that gets noticed by people, even those who are following me. As if my self esteem isn't cruddy enough. And I'm scared of saying anything too outspoken and opinionated and attracting a swarm of trolls. Though I seem to be invisible on Twitter, even to them.

I have a twittering deficit disorder, I think.

Maybe I'll check out this hashtag, though.
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 09-14-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Quote Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
    There's a lot of that around here. (Anna's not even a real lizard. But don't tell anyone.)
    FWIW, thankyou for your understanding. It is hard for me to be in new places. Anna seems fab, as is the group she's created. Based on my follow, she might already have found me on twitter lol

It took me months on Twitter before I posted a photo of myself. Here, I am still lizard.

I have my own pics on twitter and blog, but here, I'm yet to post even an avatar. I love puppies, and that lizard has cute eyes, so I'm an Anna and Mccardey fan already.

@Roxxsmom

I am a twittering amateur, or--what's below "amateur"? I relate to everything you just wrote, Roxxsmom. Most interactions I have on Twitter are when I'm replying to someone, not the other way round. When I realized that's probably how it works for 95% of people, it took some pressure off.

I visit three hashtags: #5amwritersclub, #turtlewriters, and #51writers. Nobody knew me at first, but I kept showing up, cheering people's successes and answering random tweets like "what are you writing this morning?" Over months, I got to know some faces, and they got to know me. Nobody can keep up with each others' feeds, few will expect you to, and people will be friendly when you have time to say hi.

@Neem

Lol, a few followers showed up this evening (there's always bots, they come and go), so your anonymity is secure!

@Neem

Lol, a few followers showed up this evening (there's always bots, they come and go), so your anonymity is secure!
    Haha, I'm no bot. Thanks for the new hashtags! I usually hang out at #amwriting , #Writerslifechat , #Writestuff . If you've guessed me out on Twitter, we can follow each other, and maybe, *chat on twitter*

@Roxxsmom

I am a twittering amateur, or--what's below "amateur"? I relate to everything you just wrote, Roxxsmom. Most interactions I have on Twitter are when I'm replying to someone, not the other way round. When I realized that's probably how it works for 95% of people, it took some pressure off.
    The worst part is replying to something someone tweeted and getting a "?" in response.

Like I said, I feel really ignorant, like I don't know how to do it right or without causing offense.

I tend to have a problem with going onto twitter hashtags or specific lists I've made (like of SFF writers) at a time when no one is active or has posted anything recently.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter AW Moderator Ari Meermans's Avatar
    Over the hill and picking up speed! Vroom.
    Twitter can be almost anything you want it to be and you can engage or not, as you please. I'm an information gatherer, so I have follow lists like: AW Peeps, Governance, Science, Tech, Lit., and On Writing. I keep promising myself I'm gonna create a list for Tension Breakers and add tweeters who specialize in tweets about cute animals.
    Resources for Promoting on AbsoluteWrite:

How to Help Keep AW Afloat.

"Books and ideas are the most effective weapons against intolerance and ignorance." Lyndon B. Johnson

Some random Twitter advice from someone without many followers, but who still has fun:

- Don't go in looking for an interaction. Like what interests you, follow who consistently posts stuff you like, say something if you're inclined, but don't invest yourself in starting a conversation (or even getting a response).

- It's not an "I like you so you like me" thing like Facebook. You'll always be following people who don't follow you back. My own follower count tends to bounce up and down because I don't automatically follow in return (my notifications are set so I don't get pinged when someone follows me), and there are both bots and individuals who'll drop me when I don't.

- Don't worry if you tweet something that gets no reaction. Stuff flies by so fast there - it's literally impossible to keep up with everything. Most of us are generally ignored, and that's OK.

- Use it in a way that you enjoy, and don't worry about how others react. Over time (depending mainly on what hashtags you use, I think) people will get to know you and may start interacting. But they may not. As a raging introvert, I like being able to eavesdrop and occasionally comment without being expected to become the life of the party.

I love Twitter. I find it a decent breaking news source (although it's also a breaking rumors source, which is less useful!), and I've even connected with a few readers there. But there are a lot of people and very few "stars," which I think can skew people's expectations a bit.
    November goal: An additional 60K on WIP #2 (+56,327 : 72,624/~120,000)

Hey, I got interviewed by AbsoluteWrite!

Here are some books I wrote.

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    @Roxxsmom

I visit three hashtags: #5amwritersclub, #turtlewriters, and #51writers. Nobody knew me at first, but I kept showing up, cheering people's successes and answering random tweets like "what are you writing this morning?" Over months, I got to know some faces, and they got to know me. Nobody can keep up with each others' feeds, few will expect you to, and people will be friendly when you have time to say hi.

@Neem

I keep meaning to ask: what's #turtlewriters? I can't seem to get a handle on the why of the hashtag, but I'm assuming it's because they're slow writers and if that's the case I need to join them...
    KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    STONEKING: Releasing February 20, 2018 from Fiery Seas Publishing

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmig View Post
    I keep meaning to ask: what's #turtlewriters? I can't seem to get a handle on the why of the hashtag, but I'm assuming it's because they're slow writers and if that's the case I need to join them...
    You've got it, exactly. It has three hosts, ML Moos, Meka James, and Rosetta York. They post a question a week & just started posting writing prompts.

October is MONSTER MONTH at #51writers!

Come for the monsters, stay for awesome writers you'll meet...

All are welcome to join in! Here's a preview of our prompts...

The full-size calendar & conversations are on Twitter.

Prompts look fun, I'm going to have to see if I can actually remember to get on Twitter this month.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12