Quote Originally Posted by MDogJr View Post
It's the big question for me right now, and I need some opinions.
Started writing about two weeks ago, currently up to 27665 words, which is far more than I've written in years. What usually happens is I start well, lose confidence and butcher myself with editing before finishing. Well, I don't want to do that anymore.
But, on the other hand, I've realised that actually what I've written is totally awful from a plot point of view. Pointless characters, embarrassing tropes, and, most horrifyingly, terrible stereotypes. There needs to be a significant edit of what's been written so far.
So there is the dilemma. Do I burn through, follow the story as-is and then spend a lot of time reviewing and editing, or do I edit what I've got and then continue?
What would you do in this situation?
There are as many different methods as there are writers, although I agree with Lizmonster that, maybe for you, it's time to try a different approach.

At the rate you're writing you could have a full length novel in three or four weeks, so I'd say go for it - then put it to one side for a month and do something else. Come back to it, read it, decide what you don't like about it, decide what you want it to be, and make it so.