I'm not really good at this...

MySummerJob

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Scott.

I went to a community college for a film degree (finally graduated last May, of 2016), but realized that wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong, I still want to work for the entertainment industry, but I realized I preferred coming up with the story, and writing it, instead of having to not just shoot the film, but also edit. I'm hoping to publish my first full length book soon (my goal is sometime next year), but I'm struggling with procrastination...

Some general facts about me;

1) I love punk/pop, and alternative rock. My favorite band currently is Teenage BottleRocket.
2) I love anime. My favorite has to be DBZ, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, and currently I was enjoying Erased.
3) I'm a superhero fanatic (if you couldn't already tell by the default avatar). I love both DC, and Marvel when it comes to their stories, and heroes.
4) I also enjoy gaming, my main platform is the PS4.
5) My favorite animal is the monkey (secondary to this is the penguin).

Anyway, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Scott,

I'm a lady in my 30s (who hates the word "lady") and I don't recognize half the pop culture you referenced. However, penguins are awesome. We are very different people, and I welcome you. This is a nice place.

:snoopy:

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, Scott. You've told us more about yourself than I did on arrival. My general stance was to find a shadowy spot and observe for several months, hoping nobody would notice me. Which pretty much sums up my personality, except here, where I've gradually become so at ease I can be myself, even though she's often kind of weird.

Anyway, it's a pleasure to meet you. I have no idea who that lizard lady above me is, though. I'd be careful if I were you.

Maryn, kidding

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

writeonleanne

señora vaca
Registered
Reaction score
What was Spider-Man's major in college?

Web Design!

ba-dum-tss

(I'll see myself out. Also, welcome. :greenie)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you like puns there's a bad joke thread that'll keep you busy for a while. Quite a few of them are so awful they're good.

E. Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Scott. :banana: Like Anna, you and I live in different worlds (though we do share that procrastination thing :( ). I probably have at least 50 years on you. But beyond procrastination, we share a common love of writing, and I am glad you have joined us. Good luck meeting your goals.

MySummerJob

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Scott. :banana: Like Anna, you and I live in different worlds (though we do share that procrastination thing :( ). I probably have at least 50 years on you. But beyond procrastination, we share a common love of writing, and I am glad you have joined us. Good luck meeting your goals.
Thank you, I'm glad to be here =)

Yeah, I hate having procrastination too. A thing worth checking out is a blog called "waitbutwhy" or a video where Tim Urban (blog is also run by him) where he has an interesting discussion about procrastination, and compares it to us having a pet monkey in our minds.

Do a google search for "procrastination monkey" and you should find it.

Hello. Welcome to the forums :welcome: I also like anime :)
I'm glad to be here, thanks =D

Do you use an online anime list by the way?

Allareone

Registered
Reaction score
Sup, I'm new too and also struggle with procrastination! One part of me is all "Hey, you should totally go write that thing!" but then the other side of me is all "OR! You can sit and play FFXV! IT HAS CHOCOBOS!" So yeah, I kinda understand your struggle... kinda *Casts a side glance at her PS4 and XboxOne* must...resist....

MySummerJob

Registered
Reaction score
Sup, I'm new too and also struggle with procrastination! One part of me is all "Hey, you should totally go write that thing!" but then the other side of me is all "OR! You can sit and play FFXV! IT HAS CHOCOBOS!" So yeah, I kinda understand your struggle... kinda *Casts a side glance at her PS4 and XboxOne* must...resist....

Thank you =)

Yeah, I even do the classic "I'll just do this tomorrow, or start my project next Monday" procrastination line =/

KnavesAndKnots

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya! Totally feel you on the procrastination thing. Interesting to hear about your film degree. I have a BA in Literature and Creative Writing, and while I was studying I did some screenplays (which was new to me - I like poetry and novels). I liked writing them; it felt really natural. BUT I'm too much of a control-freak to go into an industry that relies on a hugely collaborative process. When I write something I have the *exact* vision of how it should be in my head, you know? I'm not sure I could cope with someone acting or directing or filming it slightly differently from how I envisioned it, haha. So I write novels.

MySummerJob

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya! Totally feel you on the procrastination thing. Interesting to hear about your film degree. I have a BA in Literature and Creative Writing, and while I was studying I did some screenplays (which was new to me - I like poetry and novels). I liked writing them; it felt really natural. BUT I'm too much of a control-freak to go into an industry that relies on a hugely collaborative process. When I write something I have the *exact* vision of how it should be in my head, you know? I'm not sure I could cope with someone acting or directing or filming it slightly differently from how I envisioned it, haha. So I write novels.
Thank you, I'm glad to be here =)

Yeah, I can see why people might have issues with creative collaboration. It ultimately just depends on the people you work with though. Most of the time it can be a success, and then few times it could just blow up.

Still though, what I like about collaborating is if you have the right people, you could end up with something absolutely amazing =D

weekendwarrior

Registered
Reaction score
Still though, what I like about collaborating is if you have the right people, you could end up with something absolutely amazing =D

Exactly. Having worked in the creative field for a number of years, I find the beauty of collaboration is that you get to work with people who can do incredible things that you can't. Even in writing a novel, a good editor can provide amazing value (not that I personally know, it's just the impression I get based on reading about somebody like Sol Stein).

Allareone

Registered
Reaction score
My dude, not gonna lie. Literally right after I posted that post, I went and played Rise of the Tomb Raider. I failed..... :e2thud: