What's in a name?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Agreed on all counts. And I'm not sure what can be done, really. It's not about the mechanics of what happened here. Really. (Look at London or Nice for example. Or Boston. Or OKC.)

What's more important here is that we somehow continue to whip both sides into a frothing-at-the-mouth rabid beast, then sit back in stunned surprise when someone goes off the deep end. Enough with the freaking name-calling. Enough of trying to reduce your political opponents to something sub-human. Enough of the stupid shit.

I challenge all of us here to take the first step. I did it a couple of months ago when I committed to using proper titles when I speak or write about President Obama or President Trump. That's their proper title (unless you follow the NYT style guide), and so I'm going to use it. Show a little respect all the way around. The Golden Rule doesn't say "Treat others how they treated you first." Christ didn't say "Love your neighbors after they love you." It was "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." So if you treat yourself with respect, then treat others with respect.

The day I call that thing president is the day something has gone seriously wrong with my head. I don't believe in giving respect where it doesn't belong. I'm glad I'm not American, because if I was I am pretty sure I would have lost my job by now---because if I was American not a single day would go by with that thing in my White House when I would not be protesting as loudly as I could wherever I could. Call him that? Right. good fucking deal that would be. Um, NO!

Last edited:

Venavis

Semi-benevolent overlord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
venavis.blog
Show a little respect all the way around.

I refer to him as 45 as a sign of respect. A sign of respect to all suffering from his bigoted and greedy policies. A sign of respect to the people he has trampled on and assaulted. A sign of respect to the families he is tearing apart to cater to racists.

Out of respect to them, the ones who aren't having their basic human dignity respected, I refer to the asshat as 45.

Also, I'll point out he is not the president. He lost the popular vote and bought the electoral. That may get him the seat in the house, but that sure as hell doesn't make him presidential.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're an American living in America, he's your president. Just like I had to suck it up with obama, you'll have to do the same for the next eight years.
Hopefully not for even the next eight months.

This is not an "us" vs "them" issue. Not a "Republican" vs "Democrat" issue. This is about someone occupying the oval office who is not fit to step foot in it, who has neither the mental capacity, nor the moral fortitude to govern.

I don't understand why people can't see the truth of the matter.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i wasn't making a value judgment; i was simply distinguishing fact from falsehood.

whether you like him or not, trust him or not, want him or not, he is president.

the resist movement does itself no favors by deluding itself.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your President Is Not My President.

If you're an American living in America, he's your president. Just like I had to suck it up with obama, you'll have to do the same for the next eight years.

i wasn't making a value judgment; i was simply distinguishing fact from falsehood.

whether you like him or not, trust him or not, want him or not, he is president.

The Resist Movement does itself no favor by submitting meekly as the Compliant and Pacified have. I have no reason to accept your or NYR94's admonishment. I'm not so much an American as I am a human being, a Black man and a free-thinking individual. Maybe after that "American" factors into the equation.

Or maybe not.

"I'm not going to sit at your table and watch you eat, with nothing on my plate, and call myself a diner. Sitting at the table doesn't make you a diner, unless you eat some of what's on that plate. Being here in America doesn't make you an American.... No I'm not an American, I'm one of the 22 million black people who are the victims of Americanism. One of the 22 million black people who are the victims of democracy, nothing but disguised hypocrisy.... I'm speaking as a victim of this American system. And I see America through the eyes of a victim. I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare."
~ El Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (Malcolm X)

Just as Trump denied the legitimacy of Barack Hussein Obama for eight years, I deny the legitimacy of Donald John Trump from now to however long his odious presence befouls the Oval Office. If a White man refused to accept a Black man could be the President of the United States, I see no reason for this Black man not to return the gesture to this White man in spades. I did not support a thug, a sexist, a vulgarian, a racist, an ignoramus, a contemptible, know-nothing buffoon. Not at any point have I ever indicated I would support Trump and it would be the height of hypocrisy for me to say different now.

Speak for yourselves, gentlemen, but you can't speak for me. If you accept Trump as your president that is entirely on you and has nothing to do with me.

I am not delusional. I am the resistance.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score

I'm not sure it's delusion. Delusion would be claiming that Donald Trump is not the president. Clearly, he is. By saying he is not their president, people are drawing attention to the uncommon circumstances surrounding his election, his bizarre style of government leading to marginalized groups being increasingly marginalized and hard-won gains in areas such as environmental protection and worker protection being lost, and the distinct possibility that he and/or people in his administration have had improper relationships with members of the Russian government.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I'm not sure it's delusion. Delusion would be claiming that Donald Trump is not the president. Clearly, he is.

see post 84.

this is clearly all i said.

ETA: it's post 3 in this chopped version of the thread.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Speak for yourselves, gentlemen, but you can't speak for me. If you accept Trump as your president that is entirely on you and has nothing to do with me.

this is very dramatic and all, but doesn't really have anything to do with that i've been saying.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
"I'm not going to sit at your table and watch you eat, with nothing on my plate, and call myself a diner. Sitting at the table doesn't make you a diner, unless you eat some of what's on that plate. Being here in America doesn't make you an American.... No I'm not an American, I'm one of the 22 million black people who are the victims of Americanism. One of the 22 million black people who are the victims of democracy, nothing but disguised hypocrisy.... I'm speaking as a victim of this American system. And I see America through the eyes of a victim. I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare."
~ El Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (Malcolm X)

Just as Trump denied the legitimacy of Barack Hussein Obama for eight years, I deny the legitimacy of Donald John Trump from now to however long his odious presence befouls the Oval Office. If a White man refused to accept a Black man could be the President of the United States, I see no reason for this Black man not to return the gesture to this White man in spades. I did not support a thug, a sexist, a vulgarian, a racist, an ignoramus, a contemptible, know-nothing buffoon. Not at any point have I ever indicated I would support Trump and it would be the height of hypocrisy for me to say different now.

I think related to that is the reluctant of many to refer to him with his formal title; instead he is #45. And that is itself part of a larger rhetorical strategy: don't use his name.

See this piece in the The Atlantic: On Not Saying Donald [deleted]'s Name

And here's linguist George Lakoff on not using #45's name.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
no one said not accepting him as your president is delusional. i said ignoring the fact that he is the president is.

so you're not responding to anything i've contended.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
this is very dramatic and all, but doesn't really have anything to do with that i've been saying.

That's one man's opinion. Mine is it has everything to do with that you've been saying.

Being "dramatic" has nothing to do with it. Being "accurate" has everything to do with it.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
And here's

From the article.

And he renames is opponents: Little Marco, Lyin’ Ted, Crooked Hillary.
Suppose he were renamed.

If there is any a putative strict father cannot be, it is childish and spoiled — and weak. Some children at a young age have trouble pronouncing T+R. The R turns to W after a T, as in Twump. Suppose we change the U to I, to indicate smallness. That would be Twimp.

Twimp.

President Twimp.

Yeah, I could go with that. Sounds just about right.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Being "accurate" has everything to do with it.

well in the name of accuracy, let's review. some folks have been conflating "not my president" with "not the president."

the first is a statement of performative activism, a refusal to identify with or dignify an abhorrent office-holder. i get it.

but it holds not more legal weight than one of those sovereign citizen-types screaming "you have no authority over me!" to a cop as he's being cuffed and put in a cruiser.

as sloganeering or escapism, it has its place. but it's clear virtue-signalling and meaningless in practical terms.

as for the statement (and the ONLY statement) i refuted, donald trump is, in fact, the president. that's sickening and unfortunate, but it's the truth. not an alt-fact, not fake news.

he can spearhead legislation that you will be legally bound by, he can sign treaties and agreements that are every bit as legal as those signed by kennedy, reagan or obama, and he can and will do all of this in your name up to the point that you renounce your citizenship.

to say he is not president, as an objective and verifiable fact, is delusion.

that is the totality of what i have expressed in this thread.