Troubles with the Windows 10 Creators Update

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
We got the Creators Update on the main family computer last night, and I have two problems with it!

The 1st and most frivolous is that MS seem to have gotten rid of screensavers, or at least I can't find them anymore. Yeah, yeah, I know they no longer serve a purpose, but I have folders I use for fun holiday screensavers and now I can't use 'em.

The 2nd and more immediate problem is that MS took away the ability to change the tiny default font size on the menu bars, dialog boxes, etc. My eyesight stinks; I need larger type. I looked online for a solution and found 3 workarounds:

1. Zoom the whole screen, which also increases the size of everything else. I don't need to make the icons, graphic, pictures, etc. bigger; I just want to change the font size from a tiny 9 points to a readable 12 points. :cry:
2. Do some sort of fiddling with some come. I can't explain this workaround very well, and I certainly can't work with code, but this was suggested by a moderator on the official MS support forum. :Huh:
3. Find a 3rd party app that do it for me, which means I'd have to trust someone's free app and hope its not whatever-ware-ridden. :Wha:

I haven't gotten the update on my laptop yet, but it's just a matter of time, and Problem #2 doesn't bode well for it.

P.S. The Creators Update does have at least one semi-cool feature: MS Paint now has a 3D function, if you can figure it out. It probably would've been better if they had added layers instead, but c'est la vie. :Shrug:

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
On my computer, screen saver settings are hidden in the 'Lock Screen' item in the 'Personalization' settings. I don't know what to do about the fonts. Surely enough people have smaller laptops for MS to feel like they should do something about it?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are enough good things about Win10 that I'm going to stick with it. But it's a close call. Microsoft seems to have decided to go the "Big Brother" route with this O/S release, perhaps deciding to emulate Apple. The number of decisions they've made on behalf of the user is appalling, even without the consideration that many of their "for your own good" decisions are just wrong. But what's worse IMO is the shift from settings to "requests." Win10 seems especially prone to simply ignoring settings (including Group Policy settings), something which is going to completely tank any hope of corporate roll-outs. I know at work, the I.T. people right now are looking at Win10 the way you'd look at a particularly odiferous deposit that the dog left in the middle of the floor.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
On my computer, screen saver settings are hidden in the 'Lock Screen' item in the 'Personalization' settings.
Thanks! That's one less frustration, even if it was a minor one.

Dennis E. Taylor said:
There are enough good things about Win10 that I'm going to stick with it. But it's a close call.
Normally I have no serious problems with Windows 10, but the font issue is pretty irritating.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tried the Creators Update with my ASUS laptop the other day. Didn't go well. I lost wifi entirely, and gestures no longer worked on the touchpad. The upgrade results complained about device drivers, so that's probably the issue, but I just didn't feel like wrestling with it, so I reverted to my previous version of Windows 10. Fortunately, that works just fine.