How to Describe a ship the MC is on?

AndrewF.

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, in the first chapter of my book the MC wakes up on a ship at sea and after awhile makes his way above deck. Almost immediately he describes the ship he's on, does anyone have some advice on how to do this?

I think I have done a good job with it but I don't want the description to be clunky. Since it's right at the start of the novel I don't want to go into too much detail and waste the readers time reading it but I also want them to have a good idea of the ship. How much information is too much? how much detail do you think I should put into describing the ship?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Does he know all about the ship he is on? Or does he only know what he sees as he sees it?

My suggestion would be to avoid starting with him waking up, start with the first interesting thing he does. Given that he is on a ship that will involve starting to describe salient things about the ship in a way that is interesting in the moment.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Hello, in the first chapter of my book the MC wakes up on a ship at sea and after awhile makes his way above deck. Almost immediately he describes the ship he's on, does anyone have some advice on how to do this?

Keep it personal. Why does he notice what he notices? Does it remind him of something else/contrast with something familiar? How much is really unique about this ship at sea?

Don't include irrelevant details. It's more important for the plot to keep moving than for the reader to have a snapshot-perfect picture in their head. (Consider the possibility that it may be entirely unnecessary to have the reader's picture of the ship to correspond to yours.)

Basically, include plot-necessary details and nothing more. You can go into greater detail later when/if it becomes necessary.

ETA: Also what veinglory said. Opening with a wake-up is a bit overdone; unless you have a unique twist to it, start further along.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
The main detail I would want from a book beginning on a ship, in a SFF setting, is roughly what technology level we're talking about and whether it's weird.

If it's generic fantasy pre-industrial ship, very little is needed beyond it being wooden and having sails, maybe an indication of size.

If it's a living spider floating in its own web, more detail required plz.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If the description will be from your MC's POV, it'll depend upon his naval experience/nautical knowledge up to that point in the tale. What era? Is the vessel conventionally powered or otherwise? Oared or under sail? The details he will provide will establish some of his backstory. Give it some more thought; give your readers just enough to start to care about him, and want to know more. Who is he, and why? Why is he aboard? What's at stake here?

Take the time to do the nautical research--it will matter. Get that wrong and you'll surely hear about it.

AndrewF.

Registered
Reaction score
Does he know all about the ship he is on? Or does he only know what he sees as he sees it?

My suggestion would be to avoid starting with him waking up, start with the first interesting thing he does. Given that he is on a ship that will involve starting to describe salient things about the ship in a way that is interesting in the moment.

The wake up scene is just before a storm hits, he is knocked out of his hammock by a wave then thinks about how he regrets joining the royal navy. I thought it is a good time to start the book as it lets you get to know the MC.

AndrewF.

Registered
Reaction score
Keep it personal. Why does he notice what he notices? Does it remind him of something else/contrast with something familiar? How much is really unique about this ship at sea?

Don't include irrelevant details. It's more important for the plot to keep moving than for the reader to have a snapshot-perfect picture in their head. (Consider the possibility that it may be entirely unnecessary to have the reader's picture of the ship to correspond to yours.)

Basically, include plot-necessary details and nothing more. You can go into greater detail later when/if it becomes necessary.

ETA: Also what veinglory said. Opening with a wake-up is a bit overdone; unless you have a unique twist to it, start further along.

For your first point, it's not a very unique ship. It's just a small one sail river patrol boat with two oars at the back maybe 70 feet long. I make a point about how it's not meant for the open ocean so that's why the storm is especially tough on the crew when it hits.

I never thought about maybe it's best if the reader has their own interpenetration of how the ship looks but that is probably best. When I get the novel published I would like to have a picture of the ship on one of the pages just so the reader can see it.

Maybe I should just post the page of me describing the ship here and you can read it and see what you think?

AndrewF.

Registered
Reaction score
If the description will be from your MC's POV, it'll depend upon his naval experience/nautical knowledge up to that point in the tale. What era? Is the vessel conventionally powered or otherwise? Oared or under sail? The details he will provide will establish some of his backstory. Give it some more thought; give your readers just enough to start to care about him, and want to know more. Who is he, and why? Why is he aboard? What's at stake here?

Take the time to do the nautical research--it will matter. Get that wrong and you'll surely hear about it.

I've done a bit of sailing myself so the research part should be ok, but I don't really get into the sailing side of it. The MC is new to sailing and is inexperienced, he mostly just stores some weapons down below before a storm hits then it hits and he's trying to survive.

It's in the era of tall ships before steam but this is just a small one mast river patrol ships with two oars at the back. It has no keel and is not really meant for open ocean. I make sure the reader knows that. Some important events happen during the storm so I let them know it has a main deck and a higher bow deck with a large crossbow gun on it as well as a higher stern deck

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
The wake up scene is just before a storm hits, he is knocked out of his hammock by a wave then thinks about how he regrets joining the royal navy. I thought it is a good time to start the book as it lets you get to know the MC.

This is more problematic to me. People don't generally sit around pondering explanations of themselves; I suspect you may end up writing an infodump.

Let us get to know your character through actions and dialogue and decisions--don't spoil the mystery straight away

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
As a reader I don't care if a technique is over done. I only care whether it's well done. Waking up in a strange situation is perfectly OK with me.

On the other hand, I too feel it's better to start your main character in the middle of some action. If it's a leisurely action she may have time to ponder briefly on her situation. One of dozens of ways might be this way.

"Standing at the ship's helm steering toward distant green isles I had plenty of time to ponder my situation. I woke a week ago in the ship's hold, jostled nearly onto the floor below my narrow bunk. I staggered and climbed above decks to find I was in a wooden ship with a single main mast and a guide sail at the end of a long bowsprit. It seemed as if the ship was big enough to hold a dozen or two people, but there was only me. The wind was mild yet enough to send the bow yawing to left and right, or whatever the nautical terms are. Seeing the steering wheel spinning one way then another was scary enough to send me to steady it."

This is enough to give the reader all s/he needs to know about the ship at the beginning of the story. And to know that the main character knows little about ships and their handling.

AndrewF.

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback, rather than just explaining what I did I think i'll just post the first page, let me know what you think.

A large wave hit the side of the ship and I was tossed out of my hammock. I crashed onto the hard wooden floorboards. I wasn’t hurt but I cursed the Royal Navy under my breath all the same.
I pushed myself up off the floor and noticed not only the heat but the stench below deck. I was on a small ship and the lack of air flow down here really made the tropical heat swelter and the smells linger. Ever since I left home I have been questioning if this was the right choice.
I knew I needed to escape Britannica. I wanted to forge my own path and seek out a better life in Britannica’s newest island colony Arcadia. Yet, I wondered if the Navy was right for me. So far it has not been a good fit. My entire voyage across the endless ocean to Arcadia has been mind numbingly boring.
The navy hadn’t bothered to train me in the ways of combat like I had hoped. All they taught me to do was sail a ship, shine my shoes, and swab the deck. What good will that be along Arcadia’s vast and perilous river system.
I grabbed my hammock and pulled myself to my feet as I shook my head. What have I gotten myself into? I didn’t join the navy to patrol a dangerous river. I joined the navy because it was the only way for a man of my upbringing to get across the ocean. I couldn’t pay the price of a one way ticket here, let alone afford a piece of land. The navy offered a signing bonus, monthly pay and a small plot of land on Arcadia for two years’ service. I hoped to serve peacefully on one of the great ships in the fleet. Instead I got stuck here, on a little river patrol boat, perhaps the most dangerous job in the whole Royal Navy.
Time seemed to slip away from me as I thought about the rumors I had heard, a decades-long conflict for control of the island was brewing. Everyone back home knew the struggle between native Savages and Britannica’s heroic Red Coats was intensifying. I had heard talk of them uniting under a new warlord and seeking freedom from Britannica’s rule.
I heard my name being called out and was torn away from my thoughts. I looked up and saw a man on a ladder calling my name. He looked down at me, I could tell it was Cutler and he looked annoyed, “come on Will there’s a storm comin” he yelled.
Cutler was not the captain or the first mate, this ship was too small for a first mate. Cutler was a seasoned sailor that acted like a captain. In fact, he probably knew more about sailing and this boat than the captain. He was a big burly man with a full beard and stood over six feet tall. Other than his big red beard his head and shaved bald head he was all muscle. I was about five foot ten myself and compared to me he looked like a giant. He reminded me of a Viking, only angrier, if that was possible.
I listened to Cutler and climbed up the ladder to the main deck. Once topside, my eyes had to adjust to the intense light above deck. Blue skies surrounded the bright sun and seagulls were flying high up in the distance. My eyes started to water and I turned away from the burning sun and looked down at the ship.
The ship was only about seventy feet long from stern to bow. It had one mast with one large sail and two oars coming out the back to aid the rudder and steer the ship. This was necessary for the tight turns needed to navigate the rivers of Arcadia. You see this was a river boat. It was not meant for open ocean water; it could traverse it but without a keel the ship tossed and turned a lot more. I learned that the hard way when I fell out of my hammock.
I was on a Junker class military ship called the Sea Dragon. The sides were painted red and black with the glory of Britannica’s Navy. Atop the oars on the stern of the ship lay stairs leading to the open upper deck that had the helmsman and the captain.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Hey bud, appreciate your enthusiasm but you need to edit that writing sample out of your post.
You can't post your work until you hit 50 posts -- and critique requests go in the 'Share Your Work' section (password: vista).

You can reply to other SYW posts and provide critiques for other members, though. If you want to get to 50 posts that's the best (most constructive, most fun, most self-improving) way to do it.

EDIT: ...And the OP was never seen again? *spooky ghost noises*

Last edited:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm about to describe something I am unfamiliar with, I try to find a picture so I have something to go by. Usually, I then have to look up words. Since I started writing, I've discovered how limited my vocabulary is in relation to things about which I know little to nothing. (Ancient) architecture, building, and watercraft are three examples.