How Laverne helped me to have my cake and eat it, too!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is the real reason AW is worth doing;

It's ultimately less about writing, and more about people.

Thank you, all of you, and Shakey thanks for reminding about the why.

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Oh, wow. I forgot Dolores Haze--not Humbert's Lolita but AW Dolores, my first Beta reader. It was really scary, snail mailing my manuscript--yup, in those days a manuscript was a huge block of paper and required a box and many, many stamps-- to a stranger who lives across the country. And then waiting for it to return, all marked up. Still have that manuscript and your notes in the top of my closet, Lo. Here's a toast --gin and tonic for a summer night! --s6

Last edited:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is. And then there's me.

*glares at everyone*

Oh yes, there's you! When I was in despair about the decline of my book sales, you not only gave me excellent advice but you did so with such kindness and compassion for where I was at, at the time, and it's still appreciated more than I have words to express. So, ----> :e2arms:consider yourself thoroughly hugged! (Also, there was that avie of a cat firing an automatic rifle using your butt as cover. Beyond awesome.)

I saw this earlier this year. It's scary.

Russian thistle invasion!!!! :scared: Shouldn't there be some sort of congressional investigation about this?

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
It is. And then there's me.

*glares at everyone*

Just a week or so ago, I read something you said to another poster about how writer's block is often related to a lack of self-compassion, and it was such a lightening bolt to my head that it helped clear up some of the writer's block I was having. Thank you.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Cool! Nice to meet you, Jenn. I was in high school, my boyfriend was a theater manager. He gave me that poster and Wild in the Streets. :tongue Fun times.
My mom played it for us as kids. I think I was 5 and my brother was 3... we grew up thinking it was a kids movie. (it was cartoons, and all cartoons are for kids, right??) Set in place my absolute love for cartoons. The indie movie theatre where I used to live had a cartoons and cereal buffet every spring break. Tons of fun.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Yep, good place to be. I've been here for over 15 years, going back to the days of AW being only three boards. Met so many wonderful people! Of course, Jenna G. was the first. Then Suzie. There was oarsman, shakey, Silver King, Laverne, Ken, Rich (who laughingly advised me to walk four blocks east) in those first seven years or so, and many others I have friended on FB when recognizing them from AW.

I don't post much on here anymore. But like an old shoe, I'm comfortable and will hang around for a long time.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good to see you again, stormie--shame about your skeletal but chic slimness! Here is a slice of Vernie's cake. My sister wouldn't let me post the entire cake picture because it showed that her table top was cluttered. By the time she cleared and pledged the table, we had cut the cake! --s6

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...By the time she cleared and pledged the table, we had cut the cake! --s6
"Pledged the table."

How could you not lurve a woman who says stuff like that? :Shrug:

*Waiting for someone to say "Get a room!"

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me either.

I just slide across them in my cotton bloomers, and *swoosh* I'm done. :Shrug:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Here's cake with pie in, for those who can't make up their minds.

piecake_zpsc60ae5c1.png

What mischief have thou wrought? My spouse walked by as I was reading this thread, saw that image, and now wants us (meaning mostly me, although he will help) to try making it.

I will just wallow in the wonderful people here to take my mind off the thought. ***huggles everyone***

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I like the colors but would have to pass on sampling the asparagus thing. Reminds me of those sandwich cakes that my mom used to make for her Bridge Club. I think they were called ribbon something. The layers were sandwich fillings like cheese salad, cucumbers, chicken salad. The frosting was mayo. Mom used to get all crazy with sliced pepper daisies as a garnish. Wow--maybe we should start a thread dedicated to Bridge Club foods of the 1950s. Petite Fours anyone?

Probably should have capped the p on Pledged. My first word choice was " Beheld the table" but wasn't sure everyone would get the pun. --s6

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
What mischief have thou wrought?

Mischief is my middle name. :Hug2:

I like the colors but would have to pass on sampling the asparagus thing. Reminds me of those sandwich cakes that my mom used to make for her Bridge Club.

The asparagus is made of frosting ;) Or fondant. Or something that is not actually asparagus.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I like the colors but would have to pass on sampling the asparagus thing. Reminds me of those sandwich cakes that my mom used to make for her Bridge Club. I think they were called ribbon something. The layers were sandwich fillings like cheese salad, cucumbers, chicken salad. The frosting was mayo. Mom used to get all crazy with sliced pepper daisies as a garnish. Wow--maybe we should start a thread dedicated to Bridge Club foods of the 1950s. Petite Fours anyone?

Probably should have capped the p on Pledged. My first word choice was " Beheld the table" but wasn't sure everyone would get the pun. --s6

Oh ye of little faith. The asparagus is all sugar. Fondant asparagus it is -- here's a tutorial, with in-process pics on how to roll your own insanely convincing asparagus, from the baker who did it (for fun, for someone who'd been training for a thing and eating endless asparagus) posted it, and got tons of mail asking how to do it and got kinda Internet baker famous.

She also helped start the rainbow cake thing. She has a cookbook out now.

Oh, also, I posted this someplace. These kind of recipes?

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well thank god for that! But seems like a lot of time spent in a kitchen. Like the Ribbon Sandwich Cake--asked my sister for the name of that one--some people just naturally feel at home in a kitchen, doodling around with spooky stuff like fondant. Not even sure what that is. Which is why I have kitchen resource people, like Vernie! And my sister, who actually has a drawer for baking parchment. Another kitchen mystery. Do you cook with it, or jot recipes on it, with a quill pen? --s6

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well thank god for that! But seems like a lot of time spent in a kitchen. Like the Ribbon Sandwich Cake--asked my sister for the name of that one--some people just naturally feel at home in a kitchen, doodling around with spooky stuff like fondant. Not even sure what that is. Which is why I have kitchen resource people, like Vernie! And my sister, who actually has a drawer for baking parchment. Another kitchen mystery. Do you cook with it, or jot recipes on it, with a quill pen? --s6

:ROFL: You line pans with it. It's good for baking cookies on, or cutting into rounds and placing inside cake pans.

I find cooking and baking very soothing.