• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sinead Heneghan Literary Agency

Lynda

Registered
Reaction score
I hope this is in the right place.
Does anyone know anything about the Manchester Literacy agency set up by http://sineadheneghan.com/about/
Because I am from NW England, and my novels are set in that part of the world albeit Merseyside and Cumbria, I thought she might be a good fit.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've not heard of her, nor have I looked at her background or skills. But I'm not sure that geography is a good reason to choose an agent. Reputation and ability are much more important.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
A "good fit" has NOTHING to do with the location of an agent. I never met my first agent in person until 2-3 years after teaming up. He was in New York I was in the southwest, a few thousand miles away. He sold the kind of books I wrote, thought he could sell mine, and that worked for us both for awhile.

You want an agent who sells books similar to yours and who has a track record of sales. Anyone can hang out a sign and call themselves an "agent" but a good one will have contacts in the industry, know how to negotiate a contract, and protect your interests.

You need not have an agent in the UK, either. There is no reason why you shouldn't submit works to US based agents, especially in this instant digital age. In that case, you still look for agents who sell similar books. Your location is less important than the genre and quality of writing. If there are US writers whose works are like yours, look up their websites and see who reps for them.

I will interpret "literary scout" to mean she read the slush pile.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A "good fit" has NOTHING to do with the location of an agent.

True.

I will interpret "literary scout" to mean she read the slush pile.

A literary scout is a real thing: but I see little to prove that she was one. Still, I'm not very up on scouts, so I might be wrong.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
You take your chances going for an agent with no proven track record (that's not part of an established agency). The details on her actual experience in publishing are also vague.

I do find it concerning that the blog on her website belabours the geography angle.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Some conference appearances, but no sign of clients or sales.