• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Biology: The Thorny Truth About Spine Evolution

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A definitive explanation for why plants evolved spines remains elusive, and human biases compound the problem.

Quanta Magazine said:
Why do roses have thorns? The answer seems self-evident: Thorns, spines and prickles are plants’ defensive weaponry, making their most precious parts unpalatable — even untouchable — to big plant-eaters, like deer and other mammals. For decades, this has been the working assumption of scientists who study ecological interactions between plants and animals. The overwhelming bulk of the scientific literature on the ecological and evolutionary purpose of thorniness (or, to use biologists’ preferred terminology, spinescence) has focused on the hypothesis that mammalian herbivores are the main target.

That may have been a mistake. Over the years, studies of how well sharp deterrents discourage hungry mammals have returned mixed results. Moreover, some paleontological work offers evidence that spines evolved before the first plant-eating terrestrial animals did. Now, a report in Biology Letters suggests that, at least for some plant species, spines play an important role in defending against insects — a hypothesis that has long been ignored if not dismissed entirely. The counterintuitive results show the pitfalls of trusting human experience and intuition too much when trying to understand the evolutionary dynamics of other species in a prehistoric world.

Rupesh Kariyat, an ecologist studying plant-insect interactions in the biocommunication group at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH Zurich), didn’t set out to upend the conventional wisdom about plant spines. As a doctoral student at Pennsylvania State University, he was working with Mark Mescher (also now at ETH Zurich) on the genetic consequences of inbreeding and herbivory on Carolina horsenettle plants (Solanum carolinense) when the pair noticed something strange. After tobacco hornworm caterpillars (Manduca sexta) fed on the plants, new shoots sported more spines. “That made us think that these spines could also have [an] additional function than what we have been taught,” Kariyat said.

Researchers had documented other plant species that grew extra thorns in response to predation by mammals. But seeing caterpillars have the same effect raised a flag for Kariyat and Mescher. From an ecological perspective, it’s wasteful for a plant to expend energy growing a structure like a thorn unless it thwarts the attacker at hand. Surely the tiny caterpillars could simply climb around or over the horsenettle’s spines.

To test whether that was so, Mescher explained, the team designed a set of experiments that could explore the question three ways. First, using the same inbred S. carolinense variety — which has fewer spines than genetically normal plants do — they examined the effects of spine density on caterpillar movement. After removing all of a plant’s leaves save the freshest, tastiest one at the top, they placed caterpillars on the soil next to the plants’ stems and clocked how long it took the bugs to reach the tasty morsel above, comparing inbred plants to normal ones. Then they went a step further by manipulating the spine density, slicing away spines with a razor blade so that all the plants had the same number, and repeated the experiment. Lastly, they expanded the research to include two other species in the same genus: S. aethiopicum, the Ethiopian nightshade, and S. atropurpureum, the purple devil. The three species vary in spine density: Ethiopian nightshade has the fewest, while the purple devil has the most. Again they compared plants with their spines intact and removed, but this time they measured how long it took caterpillars to remove all of a plant’s leaves rather than speed to the leaves at the top. If caterpillars fell off the plants during the process, the researchers put them back on an unfinished leaf and allowed them to continue feeding.

Kariyat, Mescher and their colleagues found the same pattern across all three trials: Spines were always an impediment to the hungry larvae. With the prickles cut, caterpillars more quickly reached the leaves they desired. For intact plants, the species with the most spines — the purple devil — proved most difficult for the caterpillars to defoliate. Moreover, the spines not only slowed the caterpillars but also interfered with their footing and forced them into more acrobatic maneuvers. As a result, the caterpillars frequently fell off while traveling between leafy shoots. Sometimes they even impaled themselves on the larger spines. According to Kariyat, these kinds of movement restrictions “have a huge effect on their fitness in the long term” — and thus, the authors concluded that the spines of Solanum plants are effective caterpillar deterrents.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I love the articles that you find and share, thank you! This one was super interesting because I'd had talks with botany friends (I was in the marine/invertebrate bio track) about how some thorned trees seem to have spines JUST the right length to deter one herbivore but allow another one to eat them. Newer research has shown that the herbivores that were selected for by thorn length tend to have just the right tooth shape or gut biology to make the seeds of these thorned trees sprout stronger and in greater numbers. Definitely interesting to see how spines and thorns might have started, though, because even those explanations didn't satisfy "why start at all?"

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid I lived in an area where honeylocust trees were common, and I swear the thorny bastards were of a sentient species, and were out to get me, specifically.

caw

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I planted Rosa Hugonis -- Father Hugo rose -- once. The photos I'd seen of it in bloom were lovely. And for a few brief days, it would be covered in mounds of delicate yellow blossoms. And then they'd all drop, revealing the spiniest stems I've ever had the displeasure of trying to prune. Like, each stem was carpeted thickly in needles.

Did I mention it was a very vigorous grower?

I wonder if that house's buyer napalmned it before it took over the entire front yard...

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid I lived in an area where honeylocust trees were common, and I swear the thorny bastards were of a sentient species, and were out to get me, specifically.

caw

Honey locust trees were one of the species they used in the study of spines as herbivore selection. No living herbivore suits those spines, but some of the megafauna that died out around 10k years ago has the perfect jaw shape and length to get to honey locust seed pods, and seems to have increased success rate of seeds if they were eaten first.

I wish I could find the study again, but I read it while I was hunting (next to a small stand of honey locust, incidentally), and it looks like it didn't save on my phone when I thought it did.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I was kind of awed on my trip to Namibia three years ago to learn that giraffes have such tough-yet-nimble (purple) tongues, they can strip the leaves off an acacia tree. The thorns on those things are seriously an inch long.