MG for Reluctant Readers

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I recently came across one publisher that is actively looking for MG for reluctant readers - same age group, but a shorter read (14-16K instead of around 35k). The publisher is Orca in Canada if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.orcabook.com/Assets/ClientPages/authorguidelines.aspx

I was wondering if anyone knew of other publishers that publish MG for reluctant readers or how I could go about searching for other publishers that seek the same? Do I just start looking at ones that accept MG and dig deeper to see if they have reluctant reader titles?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I think Orca only publishes Canadians, and nothing outside of that. I just want to point that out first. I'm not savvy on the MG market, but you could get the market book for children's publishers like THIS ONE for example. It should give you more details about the publishers too like what they are accepting and if they pay advances and such.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I think Orca only publishes Canadians, and nothing outside of that. I just want to point that out first. I'm not savvy on the MG market, but you could get the market book for children's publishers like THIS ONE for example. It should give you more details about the publishers too like what they are accepting and if they pay advances and such.

Okay, thanks for the link.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
There is a category called Hi-Lo. These are high interest books for readers on a lower reading level. Many of the educational publishers produce them but some are work-for-hire only. Here's a place to start researching those ed presses. http://www.evelynchristensen.com/markets.html

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score