Era Appropriate Language – Charming Historical Ambience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
Or Just Plain Aggravating?

I’m plowing through my historical romance’s opening pages and wondering if my quaint 18th century phrasing and speech patterns will have readers (assuming there will be any) throwing the book against the wall.

I personally love historical romances that use era appropriate language and slang. The formality of Georgian and Regency speech is gorgeous, and I find it heightens the romance – all that simmering, repressed passion hidden beneath cool propriety and loads of etiquette.

But I imagine it can probably seem fairly bloodless to some. I remember watching Sense & Sensibility with a friend who, exasperated by all the stiff upper lips, exclaimed, “My God! Don’t they ever talk like normal people?” Of course they do. Like normal eighteenth-century people.

OK, my dialogue isn’t exactly Austenian but characters certainly aren’t walking into a scene declaring "I have an issue with that!” (Yes, I’ve seen this phrase in a supposedly “historical” romance.) I look up familiar phrases to make sure they were in use at the time. I’m using contractions because they actually were used in conversation in this era, and they make the language less stilted. I think I’m keeping to a fine line between authentic/accessible but realize that once the first draft is complete, I may have to redraw that line.

I recently read a romance set in my era, and the plot and characters were inventive and engaging. I enjoyed it, but the language was era-neutral and there wasn’t much use of Georgian clothing or manners. Then again, it didn't contain any anachronisms to jolt me out of the story. It was a good read…but it didn’t have the flavor I’d been hoping for. I want my book to have a vivid sense of time and place without somehow feeling alien.

Anybody else out there working with the speech of another era? How's it going for you?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Anybody else out there working with the speech of another era? How's it going for you?

It is frustrating! I'm working on a historical set in 1889, and kind of dreading the scene where my hero (raised on the streets) mingles with some riffraff in a pub. Their manner of speech has to be distinct from the way the other characters talk, but I don't want it to come off as just dropped aitches and rhyming slang like I've watched too many Only Fools and Horses episodes. Which I have.

Oh well. Soldier through it.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Marian, best of luck with the riffraff! Funny, I have a pub scene as well, populated with sailors who have befriended my MMC. I'm desperately hoping not to find myself typing, "Arrrrrgh, maties!" Ugh.

I had the brilliant idea of rewatching Poldark as I remember the language isn't too formal and uptight. But when Ross took to the fields with his scythe to bring in the harvest, I got distracted from my purpose somehow.

I had to look up Only Fools and Horses on Google, and saw a bit on YouTube - I'll have to try it!

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Snap - I'm struggling with this too. I find it's really hard to replicate a true 18th century voice (or a written one at least), because it's just so convoluted! Oddly enough I can do a late 19th century voice fairly easily, but that's not the period my stories fall in, of course...

What I've tried to do is have a few staged scenes where the formality and manners of the period comes to centre stage, but to show this as much through the physical actions - the bowing, the fans, the etiquette - as much as the language. I'm also really careful with the metaphors in inner dialogue as well as avoiding howlers like "I have an issue with that!” :roll:I find this resource quite helpful in finding period-suitable words to use or avoiding anachronistic concepts: http://historicalthesaurus.arts.gla.ac.uk/.

One of my characters, while ostensibly a gentleman, is also a boorish lout. I partly show this through making his dialogue much shorter and choppier, with a lot more swear words, and when he gets drunk, his sentences start to drop words and have non sequiturs.

I only watch Poldark for the 18th century Cornish mining history, myself... Or that's what I tell Mr S, anyway.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Susannah - Naturally, you’d watch Poldark to bone up on your Cornish mining history. It’s very educational. I watch Pride & Prejudice for tips on Regency interior decorating. Colin Firth is a terrible annoyance, though, always standing in front of a tapestry or a very nice mantelpiece I’m trying to admire. But I persevere. Even if I have to watch a scene over and over again.

Yes, using the fans and manners and all that good stuff is excellent in creating that bygone era. I'm amazed at how many novels simply ignore all this stage-setting.

Ooohhhh! Thanks for that link! I’ll add it to my treasure trove. I have slang dictionaries, popular music lyrics, books on etiquette/clothing/food/architecture and a list of cool names I found prowling around the burying yards in Salem and Boston. You never know when something might come in handy.

I have an added wrinkle in that I’m trying to find how English and colonial American-English differed in the 1770s. Words derived from the Native nations are obvious, but there were surely phrases peculiar to New England that I’ll need to ferret out.

Doing this right is a LOT of work! It’s not just pretty gowns and guys with long hair. And you can’t just name a chick “Tiffany” in 1775.

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Susannah - Naturally, you’d watch Poldark to bone up on your Cornish mining history. It’s very educational. I watch Pride & Prejudice for tips on Regency interior decorating. Colin Firth is a terrible annoyance, though, always standing in front of a tapestry or a very nice mantelpiece I’m trying to admire.

Hah! You may laugh - but while I came for the scythe, I stayed for the mining. I am descended from a family of small-scale mine owners, a bit like Ross Poldark, and one of my more obscure Cornish ancestral surnames popped up for one of the secondary characters. I was so excited, until he turned out to be a villain. :Shrug:

I do 'mine' my family tree for period-specific names as well. I may even throw in a Tiffany if I do something set in the 12th century - but of course no-one then believes you!

Anachronistic names are the thing that throw me out the quickest as a reader, far more so than modernised language - so long as that language is neutral and not slangy. If I pick up a book with out-of-period names, I probably won't buy it even if the plot looks good. I just don't trust the writer to be writing an historical romance, as opposed to 21st century characters playing dress-ups. I do like it when the author does get a flavour of the time into the dialogue so long as it isn't just a few scattered clichés. Hats off to you for even attempting an 18th century voice!

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Susannah - descended from Cornish miners? How cool is that?! And very exciting having an ancestral surname show up in the mix, even as a villain. 'Cause let's face it, villains are often the most interesting characters. The man/woman you love to hate. I grew up in Michigan where Cornish immigrants came to work in the copper mines in the Upper Peninsula. Love those pasties! :)

Some of my ancestors came from England (Hampshire) and Ireland (who knows where), but most are from North America - Haudenosauneee, Tsaligi and Lenni Lenape nations. Better know as Iroquois, Cherokee and Delaware. I'd love to do a novel set within one of these cultures, but that's a daunting task. I don't feel I could do it justice. The research necessary would be overwhelming.

Absolutely, if the names are anachronistic, I also tend to pass on a book despite an enticing plot. I find census rolls from the year in which my character was born to be a great resource. Depending on the era, there may be a ton of "vanilla" names like Elizabeth/Anne/Jane, but there are always some that are very particular to that time and are unusual or striking. Really, I have nothing against ordinary names as long as they fit the period. I've read novels in which the characters have the most ludicrously exotic or convoluted names, as if this makes them more interesting. And don't get me started on the bizarre names with which some aristocratic characters are burdened!

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
MerriTudor, I'm doing something very similar with a Regency novel I've been working on. I'm interested that you say contractions were in use then - Austen used them rarely, and I've decided to use them mainly in 'familiar' contexts within family or with close friends, to allow more formal language in social scenes to flourish (and to indicate when my couples are growing closer!).

Jane Austen fan forums are a great source for Georgian/Regency information (not to mention fanfiction if you enjoy it!).

I agree regarding names. I love the classic Regency names, but about half the men in England were called John, and most women were Jane, Mary or Elizabeth, so it can make choosing names tricky. It's worth looking up the names of people of the time, or perhaps mining literature. Or you can always have a slight eccentric who names his children after Shakespeare characters or the botanical names of plants or Arthurian figures if you want a reason for something a bit unusual. Of course, this can be taken too far (as you say, some names are ridiculous, and on at least one occasion have put me off buying a book because I couldn't believe in it!), but it can be fun. Men do have the advantage of being called by surname or title, so you can always use those instead to give a bit of variety, depending on their preferences. And there are always nicknames (Nan for Anne, Sally for Sarah, Molly for Mary or Margaret, Nell for Eleanor/Elinor, Kitty/Katie/Cathy for Catherine/Katherine, Lizzy/Beth/Bess/Betsy for Elizabeth) - although it's worth noting that some nicknames were more likely for servants or the 'lower orders' than the middle and upper classes. ('Working class' didn't exist as a term until the 1820s or later, apparently - 'lower orders' sounds even more condescending.)

I have a Cecilia, who's nicknamed Sissy by her sisters, and Letitia and Matilda who are Letty and Tilly to their brother, despite their irritation with their childhood nicknames!

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tanydwr, you sound very knowledgeable on these subjects! I love it when writers really delve into the time periods they’re working with. You find things you’d never suspect, and it’s just plain fun if you love history. And I do!

Yes, I was hoping contractions were in use at the time, and from what I could find, they were used verbally and in informal writing. I wanted to avoid making my characters seem like aliens in every Star Trek episode ever made! Great idea you have to use them in familiar contexts and to show growing intimacy between the couple. My heroine is English and I’ve noticed she is less likely to use them, and to dispense with them entirely when she’s at odds with her man and on her dignity. The hero is American, so I’m trying to make his speech a bit less formal as a “colonist” and because his family isn’t as fine. He also uses some nautical jargon as well. But it’s a balancing act, isn’t it?

And names! As you’ve noted, you can go the eccentric parents route and open up a new world of names for the characters. And there are some doozies in the census rolls, proving that unusual names for babies isn’t just a modern Hollywood fad. I love using old Puritan/Biblical names – I have a Great-Aunt Hepzibah in my other colonial American novel (currently on the back burner), as well as an Increase and a Tabitha. I’d love to find a use for Barnabas and Hezikiah!

The one I’m actively trying to work on has plain old Jonathan (called Jonny by his mother/sisters, and Jack by his uncle), while the heroine is Georgianna. Jack’s sisters are Anne, Verity, Naomi, Phoebe and Rebekah. Still not satisfied with those, but none of them are piping up to tell me their real name, so I’ll let those simmer awhile.

Oh, I like Sissy for Cecelia! Well done! I’ll have to check out the JA fan forums to see what nuggets I can unearth. Thank you for the tip!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Sometimes characters DO pipe up and tell you their real names. I'm working on the third story in my time travel series, where the heroine was named Jill and she kept insisting her given name is Gillian. Since the book is set in the UK, I got to all right with that.

I love Graham's use of dialect in Poldark. I also love the way Demelza's speech transforms from that of a miner's brat to that of a lady. And it's not sudden or forced; gradually she loses the "sur" and the "t'edn proper" of Judd and Prudie and finds her own level of speech. Graham was a master. I never tire of the Poldark series (both of them), though of course I watch for the Anglo-Cornish speech variabilities rather than Aiden Turner without a shirt. Or Robin Ellis fully clothed. Or anything...

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Besides fangurling over Poldark, I did want to say -- anytime we attempt to give verisimilitude to language and usage of past times, we're always going to end up with an approximation. I respect Austen's use of the conventions of her time -- she was writing contemporary fiction. But when we try to do it, we're casting back to modes of language that aren't our own. I dislike heavy use of dialect, because it generally throws me out of the story. A current-day master at including realistic-sounding dialogue in other (current-day and past-era) places is Susanna Kearsley. Her THE WINTER SEA really takes you to a place where they speak current day English, but certainly not like you and I speak it.

Breeverity

New here, published author
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very, very good at throwing Americanisms into my Georgian novels :) I go back over the text often to try to weed them out - hopefully I manage it in most cases!
I'd hate for readers to be thrown out of my story because I said a character's brain was 'fuzzy' when they didn't use the word in that context until the 1930's!!
I once read a Regency where a gentleman looked over the head of the lady he was dancing with and 'scoped the room'... :-\

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Deb - Oh, yes! I very often have characters telling me their names, sometimes in no uncertain terms. One of my heroines named herself Susanna. She then further informed me that it should have the 'h' on the end. Thus, Susannah. I had wanted something more exotic, but she was adamant. She's since become a thorn in my side, but that's another story as they say.

Robin Ellis. Good Lord, those blue eyes! I loved that series, as well. Maybe better that the reboot as I prefer the original Demelza. She was much scrappier! The new one is too much like a model. No big surprise when Ross beds her. All she has to do is stand around looking good. The original Demelza had her work cut out for her. You think she doesn't stand a chance and then, that night at the fireside with Ross staring broodingly into the flames - BAM! Girl makes her move and bags her man! There's hope for us all!

As for writing dialect, I will NEVER attempt it. Graham definitely has the knack of using it without totally befuddling the reader or making them bust out laughing. Which is exactly what I'd end up doing.

Breeverity - scoping out the room! Eeesh. You'd think that one would be an obvious no-no. Other than language, the more egregious breaches of the time-space continuum I've experienced in romance novels are gowns fashioned of fabrics that haven't been invented yet, and characters wearing the wrong underclothes (or wearing any when they weren't in use in the era). News flash: women didn't wear pantaloons in medieval Scotland unless they had time-traveled there from the 19th century.

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
Merri, I love delving into time periods - not only great verisimilitude, but a fab form of procrastination, as you can argue to yourself you're still working on your novel! As for names, Cecilia herself was very insistent that she's Cecilia - it's her sisters who called her Sissy! That's also how Letty and Tilly got their nicknames, and they're equally displeased when their brother uses them in less intimate company (although they both went through several other names first). He, on the other hand, is Turner to all except his sisters and brother, even his future wife, while it turns out Wallace really likes Cecilia calling him Anthony (although in the latter case, it's pretty much because he hates the reminder of his seriously-not-nice father).

I like your names for your sisters, but it's worth looking up usage on some - certain Biblical names were more often found with Catholics or Jews, such as Naomi, and while the Rebekah spelling was around, it was much more likely to be spelt Rebecca. Barnabas was more likely to be found as Barnaby - the English spelling - and its use mostly died out by the early nineteenth century (although not entirely - I went to school with a Barnaby!). I'm a big fan of Behind the Name (www.behindthename.com), which often gives a bit of context behind names and their use, as well as etymology.

The best resource I know to have come out of the JA forums is The Regency Encyclopedia, which has a list of Georgian names and their derivatives and how often they're used, but I think you need to be part of one of the forums to get the username and password.

Free confession, I haven't watched Poldark, even the new version.

Dialect is tricky, whether historical or fantasy, especially if you want to ensure everything's readable. I agree that you're often working to an approximation, and it has to be easily comprehendible to the reader as well as avoiding throwing them out of the story. Sometimes, I find syntax can be quite useful for this, as well as a few specific words or phrases, even it's simply a northern character using "Aye" instead of "Yes", or "Can you not do something?" vs. "Can't you do something?" vs. "Cannot you do something?"

As for breaches in the time-space continuum, I confess I'm a fanfic reader as well as original, and those can have terrible offences. On the other hand, it can be tricky working out the differences between Parisian and bottle green and what exactly sarsnet/sarsenet/sarcenet is (let alone which spelling you want to use!).

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tanydwr - LOVE your definition of amateur etymology! Ain't THAT the truth!

I haven’t checked out the usage of the names Rebekah, Naomi or Barnabas – unless finding them on tombstones in the old Puritan burying yards in New England counts! (Yes, I’m a cemetery creeper – I LOVE them, the older the better!) If I find a name I like on a tombstone from the era/culture I’m working in, I figure that's straight from the horse's mouth. So to speak. And from what I’ve read, the New England Puritans would use Hebrew names in addition to the usual ones you’d expect like Faith, Deliverance, Patience, etc. I’ll grant you that Rebekah is a more 17th century spelling, so I’ll probably go with Rebecca in this case. Unless she protests, of course!

And putting your link in my treasure box of resources - thank you!

I agree that syntax can make all the difference in suggesting time/place without making the poor reader try to decipher an obscure dialect. Which brings me to my next challenge - much of the action in my current WIP has Jack in Plymouth, England. What do I know from Devon?! I've got some landmarks, like a lighthouse and the assembly rooms, but...speech patterns? Regional words or phrases? Huh? I don't know whether to dig that stump up or leave it be! As you've noted, it may be just another opportunity for procrastination...

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
I think the Puritans did go for a lot of the Old Testament names that the Anglicans didn't, as well as 'virtue' names, so that's probably down to Atlantic divide! (I have no objections to cemetery-creeping, I can definitely understand the draw, if it's not names, it's wondering what happened to them and feeling sad for the lists of lost babies).

Glad you like the link!

Plymouth... I've got nothing. I'm not sure I even knew it was in Devon (English county geography is not my strong point, and I'm better with the north anyway!). I do know I have ancestors from there though! It might be worth Googling resources for slang or common phrases, but you might want to check when they came into being/fell out of use. Maybe check a little bit of the history around there, since references to specific streets or pubs or events can help ground a novel in a setting. Since it's a port town, nautical jargon is probably common, perhaps even among the townsfolk, but who knows? You might want to try the 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue - I don't know where to locate it, but if you're wanting to separate classes, or even male from female (since men were probably more casual and vulgar around each other than the womenfolk), it might be a good source of slang, etc.

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Plymouth was home to a big naval base at Devonport from the early 18th century onwards, so the area attracted lots of sailors and incomers in search of work (lots of my rural Devon folk ended up migrating to Plymouth for part of their working lives). It's also right on the border with Cornwall, so the speech patterns etc won't be too different from there - a general West Country (Cornwall, Devon, Somerset) vibe would be OK for most readers?

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tanydwr - yes, the Old Testament names were very trendy in colonial Massachusetts! And my heroine is Anglican, so there's a bit of grist for the mill as well.

Oooooo, Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue! Where do you find these gems? I have the landlady of an inn, and a member of the Devon militia, so I do need some sense of how "the common folk" in Devon might turn a phrase. Also, I don't want to assume that the manners of the upper classes were static throughout the country. I would think that even if you were wealthy and well-bred BUT were living in a rural area, you'd have a different way about you than the same class of person living in London. I don't know how much I need to get into that, but it'd be interesting to look into.

Susannah, I think you're right - an all-purpose West Country vibe will be sufficient. And the naval base plays into my story as well. Thanks for the tip on rural folk coming in to Plymouth for work - a nice little tidbit! I think it'll work out nicely as a setting, I just need to get a better sense of the geography. Finding out there were 18th century assembly rooms there added an entire scene and plot turn for me!

BTW, I just saw a very nice short video on YouTube called Dressing 18th Century, from the University of Liverpool, I think. A maid assists a Georgian lady into her clothing while the narrator explains each piece. Cripes! I never realized how much of those gowns are held onto the wearer using straight pins! With my luck, the things would work loose somehow and my dress would fall off in church. Or my husband would grab me and get the same sensation as attempting to hug a hedgehog.

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Merri, I tend to collect resources - I have a whole folder of sub-folders for useful Writing Resources on my Bookmarks! And you're right regarding wealthy and well-bred - it was well-known that Viscount Castlereagh (an eighteenth/nineteenth-century politician) had a northern accent that he was mocked for by others in the Houses of Parliament, including his own party! (His rivalry with George Canning is pretty interesting - they had a duel, IIRC.)

Wealthy people used to get literally sewn into clothes as well, although I get the feeling that they used large stitches that were easy to cut through! There's a great scene in The Duchess with the wedding night, where Devonshire takes a pair of scissors to Georgiana's clothes (and then you get treated to the sight of what a corset did to leave marks on your skin - yee-ouch!).

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tanydwr, I'll have to read up on the Viscount Castlereagh (awesome title) and George Canning. It sounds fascinating! I dunno...I think northern accents are very cool. They were all just envious of him! :)

Well...being pinned and sewn into clothing must have put something of a damper on spontaneous seduction. (Now that I know this, I can put it to good use, so thanks again!) And just this morning I was running late and struggling with pantyhose until I realized I had it pretty good. At least I didn't have to wait for someone to sew me into anything before I could leave the house!

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
Heehee, wonder how many torn garments had to be explained! Yeah, we can get dressed in two minutes flat nowadays. Even if you were poor, it probably took a good five to ten minutes just to get all the layers on in the past, not to mention old bodices/corsets/stays!

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Tanydwr, I'll have to read up on the Viscount Castlereagh (awesome title) and George Canning.

Castlereagh was not universally admired. Shelley mentions him in a poem:

I met murder on the way
He had a face like Castlereagh.

But he is an interesting man. I always wonder if Shelley had a bit of sympathy after Castlereagh committed suicide. Probably not. Shelley was always more interested in ideas than in people.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You can read about Grose's Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue at the British Library.

Note that it's a slang dictionary, really, so it's going to be very class specific (the rich do not use the same language as the poor or the rural).

It's part of the Gutenberg public domain elibrary, and available to download from numerous sources for free. There are multiple editions, so pay attention to publication data.

Status
Not open for further replies.