Era Appropriate Language – Charming Historical Ambience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
Tanydwr, you could always use the old I-sewed-my-gown-to-my-embroidery-by-accident-and-had-to-rip-it-free to explain to hubby why your lovely silk gown was in tatters on those days when the boyfriend drops by. 'Course the boyfriend would have staggered out, blinded by the projectile pins his passionate pawing released! Hah!

Susannah, in the days of no drawers, I reckon you could still get in a little slam, bam, thank you ma'am by flipping up the skirts and the 1.2 million petticoats underneath. Let's face it, the poor Victorian women had their work cut out for them in comparison. By the time they got out of all those clothes, the guy would be asleep. Or so old it wouldn't matter any more.

Lil - Duels? Suicide? Shelley? This is right up my alley. Now I really do have to find out about this guy.

Herder of Hamsters - thank you for the Gutenberg tip! I'm going to plunder the place and see what goodies I can find.

These conversations with all of you is helping me keep focused on ONE book. This has been my single biggest obstacle in actually finishing anything! Thank you all for engaging with me and with each other!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind too that the OED includes in context citations with a date of earliest known use. Lots of public libraries have the OED, and often, have online (even remote) access.

For Middle English there's the Dictionary of Middle English.

For Scots, There's the DSL

And yes, lots and lots of older books and magazines (don't forget those for period language, dress, customs, etc.) are available via Google Books (for free) as well as via the Gutenberg project.

Be aware that many people repackage those public domain books with a cover and a high price.

Status
Not open for further replies.