Unsure what to do about anthology editing problems with small press

ThiefofHope

Writes dark, high fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thechromabooks.weebly.com
Hi! I'm sorry if this is long. I don't know what to do about this, so I thought I'd ask those with more experience than I.

I wrote a novelette for an anthology, which was published by a small press in April. I'll call the press "KP" and my story "SK". The owner of the press will be titled Owner. SK was my first published work and first experience with publishers and such, so please forgive me if I missed something I clearly should've avoided.

In October I submitted the abstract for SK to KP. They wanted the full story. So, I wrote it out and sent it in. Again they accepted it, then told me the Editor in Chief would be in contact with me to discuss any edits needed. He did; I fixed them and sent SK back for a look-through by their beta readers. Four betas looked over it and only three comments were left, one of which read something like "Cool story, bro." I tended their complaints and promptly enlisted the help of my husband and best friend to make sure it was in tip-top shape for its alleged late-January release.

Then, radio silence for several weeks.

Out of the blue I get a message from Owner asking, with no context, if I still want to be published with them. I said, "Yes, why wouldn't I?"

Later, I came to find out on Facebook (!) that Owner had fired Editor-In-Chief, who apparently was Owner's best friend, over a personal spat. With the Editor in Chief went the Artist and Assistant Editor. In hindsight this should've been my signal to abandon ship, but I hoped for the best and stayed on. I was assured a new editor would be found and everything would be fine.

The anthology came out in April.

Now I have in my lap a mostly unedited copy of SK within the anthology. The other submissions aren't in great shape, either.

I was appalled when I saw it. It does not look professional in the least. The copyright page has formatting mistakes, for Pete's sake. I understand I have a responsibility to make sure my own work is in good shape beforehand, which I did to the best of my ability. But, there were several things KP did to SK that I was not aware of until I had a physical copy in hand. They did not send us final proofs.

For example, the section supposed to be titled "Death Magick" is instead "Death Magic" while not four paragraphs prior it's spelt "magick". There are missing commas, uncapitalised words when they should be capitalised, and the formatting is poor. It looks like a amateur, unedited, self-published work.

I messaged Owner about it and offered to fix grammar and spelling for not only my work but everyone else's as well, for free, because I want it to look professional and its current state was unacceptable (though I put it in kinder words than that).

This a direct quote from Owner: "I think we're going to have to just roll with this version and do better in future anthologies. I don't really want to have to do a third version of this book."

Am I wrong in thinking it's his job to make sure it's well-done and to do a third version if the second isn't up to par? I don't want to "just roll with this version," that's absurd! As Owner and now effectively the Press itself since he's literally the only employee, it falls on him to do that work.

Even more infuriating was they asked us, the authors, to write highly positive five-star reviews on Amazon and Goodreads to make sure the anthology is presented in a good light. Not only am I ethically opposed to that since I'm in the darn thing, but I don't give five-star, positive reviews to works with obvious mistakes that could have easily been fixed in editing.

I don't think Owner performed what can be reasonably expected of an LLC publishing company. If possible, I'd just like it to be edited. If he won't allow that, I want it pulled. It's causing me quite a bit of shame and embarrassment since it's my first published work and a lot of friends and family members who didn't believe in my writing agreed to purchase a copy.

There is a clause in the contract that says mediation must happen before any matter between KP and the author becomes a legal matter. I don't know how to approach this, what to say, or if I can realistically do anything.

I just want it to look professional and well-put-together.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ToH, it will depend a lot on the specifics of your contract with this press. But, generally, final decisions re editing and presentation rest with the publisher. And small presses can be notoriously difficult to work with because of short-staffing, rapid turnover, etc.

It sounds like you've done your best to play nice in the sandpit, but the owner isn't willing to meet you halfway.

You could contact the other authors and ask them if they'd be willing to put in the time and effort to get the owner to agree to a revised, edited version. It might work. It might not. It will almost certainly piss off the owner.

If it were me, I'd just let it die a quiet death and make a mental note to never deal with this press again. Wait till the rights revert, edit as needed, and publish the story as a reprint somewhere else. Meanwhile write more stories.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I think Unimportant is right. It's unfortunate, but there's little you can do. Write another story. Then write another. When the rights to this one revert to you, revise it as best you can before you do anything else with it.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
The perils of submitting to small presses I'm afraid. I suspect if you look at the contract (if they were in any way competent) you will find yourself without a leg to stand on here, but check in just in case. Essentially he's washed his hands of it now and it's 'good enough' for him.
Best to chalk it up to experience and work on getting your work published in better places.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Agree with the others. Sometimes this happens with small presses and it sucks. But honestly do you really want to invest all this energy in editing your work, the work of others, convincing a very lazy sounding publisher to let you do all that and put together a new version? Or do you maybe just want to write your next thing, focus on getting more work out there, on improving your skills, and just generally being a writer?

Personally at this stage in the game I'd do the latter. I know this is your first published work so it'll feel extra important but you want a career, not just one story out there. Chalk this up to experience, don't blame yourself, vent with your friends and fellow anthology authors. And move on. It's not worth your time.

That being said if you are really upset I think I would put the effort into getting my rights back so that I could publish that story with a better publisher. Because honestly there is very little you can do to make a publisher good when they aren't. But you can find one that is already good.

ThiefofHope

Writes dark, high fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thechromabooks.weebly.com
That being said if you are really upset I think I would put the effort into getting my rights back so that I could publish that story with a better publisher. Because honestly there is very little you can do to make a publisher good when they aren't. But you can find one that is already good.

This is a good idea. I think I'll look into this. Also, I am still working on other projects while all this is happening; my writing hasn't come to a standstill at all.

Thank you for your advice ^^

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
My pleasure! And I'm very happy you are still writing other stuff as well. Onwards and upwards I say! And if you do end up pursuing getting your rights back I wish you much success with that :) .

WrdWvr

Registered
Reaction score
Not all small presses are the same.

Start with you contract. There should be an entry regarding author rights. Our authors' rights revert a year and a day from publication.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It often depends on format. The publisher will want to hold the rights for the period over which they expect the piece to sell, plus a bit. Monthly magazine issues only sell for a few months; anthologies can sell for years; 'best of' collections ditto. I've sold short stories for which the rights reverted immediately after print, or after a year, or after five years. It varies a lot, and for quite good reasons.