• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Using real brand names?

nottonystark

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like this is something that doesn't have that one solid answer and, as such, I've done what I can to avoid mentioning any brand names. However, I don't see any conceivable way to avoid it in this particular scenario so I figure I may as well get pointers on the subject now.

I'm writing a mystery, and one of the clues is some cigarette butts that were found around a vital location. This is something that could put either a missing person, people that caused them to be missing, or both in this location at some point. Obviously, one of the characteristics my heroes are going to latch onto is the brand of cigarette based on the butts because, in my experience, smokers can be particular about their brands. I'm wondering what the pros and cons of mentioning real cigarette brands will be as far as my story goes.

Just for some more background information, it's set in the same country as the one I live in (United States) though in a different state and region (my Pennsylvania and northeast vs its Louisiana and deep south), so deciding on brands to mention wouldn't be hard nor would it require a lot of research. However, it does take place in a universe that is slightly altered from current events (meaning that the governmental situation is different and the prominent political figures are fictional ones of my own creation), though it's roughly in current time. I don't know how much it affects things, but I figured it wouldn't hurt having this information.

More questions. Do you use some real brand names in passing within your writing (if you write in realistic settings), or are all of yours made up? How do you go about making up brand names if you do? Have you ever run into this problem before?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Perfectly okay, as long as you don't say anything demeaning about them. It's done a lot (see Stephen King). The only caveat is that if you do mention a trademark brand name, it should probably be something that will be familiar to most readers.

caw

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
Ian Fleming is credited with starting to use brand names in James Bond's adventures in the early 1950's. Since then it's quite acceptable if you do it OK.
However, if it's an alternative world, you could play around with brand names.
I remember in Bill the Galactic Hero, people drunk Heroin Cola:)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You can mention brands as long as you're not fucking with them (saying bad things about them, having people murdered in McDonald's locations all over the place, etc.) If it serves a purpose, like characterization, mention. If it doesn't, make it up.

In your situation, I got halfway through the post and was like 'make them Morleys! Make them Morleys!' but I'm odd like that.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Your characters can go to see Superman Wonder Woman at the movies. He She cannot come off the screen and join your characters on their adventures.

Your characters can drink a Coke, but you cannot say that a mistake in the mixing of a new batch of Coke started the zombie apocalypse and resulted in the deaths of 98% of the population.

Your characters can drive a Mercedes. They cannot say that Mercedes will cause anyone who drives them to commit murder within twenty-four hours.

Mention the brand, sure.
Use the brand, it depends.
Disparage the brand, definitely not.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I manage several registered trademarks in my day job. We really don't care about our marks being used, even incorrectly, in fiction. The main purpose of a trademark is to identify our products to consumers and differentiate them from our competitors. The only time we get excited about use of our mark is when a competitor tries to use it, or something very similar to it, in order to confuse consumers.

In the Robert Redford movie All Is Lost, the main character used our product in an attempt to repair a hole in his boat. The repair later failed disastrously, moving the plot along. We didn't even get upset about that.

I'd suggest spelling the brand name right and capitalizing it. It's amazing how wrong we can get brand names that we think we know. (Is it Vernors or Vernor's? Modge Podge or Mod Podge? Carharts or Carrhart's or Carhardts?) Don't bother using a TM (ETA or the (R))in fiction because it will throw your reader out of the story and look like a product placement. A TM-owning company is not going to bother allocating TM defense resources by beating up on fiction writers unless the writer is really slandering the products terribly.

Last edited:

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there ~ Christine was a Plymouth Fury and Cujo only became a problem because of a piece of crap Ford Pinto.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there ~ Christine was a Plymouth Fury and Cujo only became a problem because of a piece of crap Ford Pinto.

Well, and the rabies.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
The only caveat is that if you do mention a trademark brand name, it should probably be something that will be familiar to most readers.

I recently completed a historical romance where the characters use Bryant and May matches, Wild Woodbine cigarettes, Rigby rifles and so on. I don't know if most readers are familiar with these, but it makes the setting a bit more authentic for me.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another caveat is don't use the brand name when you want the generic. Don't use Kleenex when you want facial tissue, Xerox when you want a photocopy, Starbucks when you want a cup of coffee, etc. These companies have to defend their brands lest they lapse into public domain.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
As far as I know, referring to a trademark by name is fine in fiction. Creating a competing brand and calling it by that name isn't. Defaming a trademark in fiction is dicier, though some have pointed out examples where it's been done. I remember a scene where a Ford Pinto exploded after being barely tapped from behind in a movie (maybe it was Top Secret), and I can't imagine that Ford approved of that. Did they get sued?

Another caveat is don't use the brand name when you want the generic. Don't use Kleenex when you want facial tissue, Xerox when you want a photocopy, Starbucks when you want a cup of coffee, etc. These companies have to defend their brands lest they lapse into public domain.

I've definitely read books where people referred to facial tissues as kleenex and so on, so I don't know how often trademark owners go after authors or publishers for this kind of thing. It would be weird to read a book set in the US where someone called it a facial tissue, in fact. Everyone calls them kleenex here, just as people in the UK refers to vacuum cleaners as "hoovers," even when they're another brand. I've seen British shows and read British books where characters referred to "hoovering their flats."

Context in a story would likely make it hard for a reader to tell whether or not the kleenex being used was, in fact, a kleenex brand tissue or another brand of tissue anyway.

There definitely are cases where companies have lost the right to defend their trademarks, though, because the word became so genericized. Aspirin, cellophane, escalator and so on. I'm no sure use of the term in fiction would be fingered as the causative event, however, as fiction tends to reflect usage that is already widespread. It can vary by country too. The word "Aspirin" is still owned by Bayer in some countries, but not in the US.

There are also trademarks that are still, technically, protected, but they are used generically so widely it's only a matter of time. Adrenaline is one. I've certainly seen that used in books (instead of the proper word for the hormone/neurotransmitter, which is epinephrine), even in cases where it's completely anachronistic to do so (in settings where no one would use the term yet, or even have any understanding of endocrinology or neurobiology). It's weird to read about a person in a pre-industrial setting who feels the "adrenaline pumping in my veins."

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know of the movie, but I'd wager Ford wouldn't go near that.

It'd be hard to defame the Pinto by implying it exploded if you hit it from behind, as it... exploded if you hit it from behind, heh. You know what I mean; you can't defame, or libel, or slander with the truth. Thus, for Ford to pursue a case, they'd probably have to show up in a court and explain how the Pinto exploded if you hit it from behind but not THAT gently, which doesn't seem like the best pr move.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I've definitely read books where people referred to facial tissues as kleenex and so on, so I don't know how often trademark owners go after authors or publishers for this kind of thing. It would be weird to read a book set in the US where someone called it a facial tissue, in fact. Everyone calls them kleenex here, just as people in the UK refers to vacuum cleaners as "hoovers," even when they're another brand. I've seen British shows and read British books where characters referred to "hoovering their flats."

This is correct and it's very common usage. I hoover my flat with a Dyson hoover. I usually just call it a hoover though, unless someone asks me what brand hoover I've got.

It's a Dyson V6 Animal hoover, which I got because both my daughters are allergic to dust mites and it's the best hoover for getting rid of the little dusty gits. It even has an attachment so you can hoover mattresses and upholstery.

There are also trademarks that are still, technically, protected, but they are used generically so widely it's only a matter of time. Adrenaline is one. I've certainly seen that used in books (instead of the proper word for the hormone/neurotransmitter, which is epinephrine), even in cases where it's completely anachronistic to do so (in settings where no one would use the term yet, or even have any understanding of endocrinology or neurobiology). It's weird to read about a person in a pre-industrial setting who feels the "adrenaline pumping in my veins."

In Britain, adrenaline is the generic term used in science and medicine. When I was at uni, one of the lecturers had to explain to everyone that adrenaline is called epinephrine in the USA, and not to get confused by the fact it's called epinephrine in American journals. In all the textbooks over here it's called adrenaline and on my daughter's prescription (she has to have Epipens for multiple food allergies) it says "adrenaline auto-injector". The NHS always uses generic drug names on prescriptions, not brand names.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score

And Mr Mercedes has the car brand in the title, and the antagonist is called Mr Mercedes for using a Mercedes to kill people.

There's a note at the end of the book saying that you can't actually break into a Mercedes using a method referred to in the book. I was never quite sure whether that was there for crime prevention or not defaming a brand name reasons. Probably both.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
This is correct and it's very common usage. I hoover my flat with a Dyson hoover. I usually just call it a hoover though, unless someone asks me what brand hoover I've got.

It's a Dyson V6 Animal hoover, which I got because both my daughters are allergic to dust mites and it's the best hoover for getting rid of the little dusty gits. It even has an attachment so you can hoover mattresses and upholstery.

In Britain, adrenaline is the generic term used in science and medicine. When I was at uni, one of the lecturers had to explain to everyone that adrenaline is called epinephrine in the USA, and not to get confused by the fact it's called epinephrine in American journals. In all the textbooks over here it's called adrenaline and on my daughter's prescription (she has to have Epipens for multiple food allergies) it says "adrenaline auto-injector". The NHS always uses generic drug names on prescriptions, not brand names.

FWIW, I never refer to tissues as Kleenex; dunno why, just don't. I don't think my parents did either. They're tissues.

You know Hoover is a vacuum brand, right? In the US we don't use Hoover as a generic, interestingly enough, though the co. is American. It's one of many brands. Saying what brand of Hoover you've got would be like saying 'what type of Audi do you have? A Honda?' Or it'd be like the soda thing -- the generic names for sodas (carbonated, sugared beverages), vary in the U.S. I believe on the coasts it's soda, in the upper midwest it tends toward pop, and there's a strip of the south, which I think is mostly Texan, in which the generic is coke. So waitstaff or people ask 'do you want a drink?' 'Yes, a coke please.' 'Ok, what kind?' 'A Pepsi.'

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Perfectly okay, as long as you don't say anything demeaning about them. It's done a lot (see Stephen King). The only caveat is that if you do mention a trademark brand name, it should probably be something that will be familiar to most readers.

caw

The story in my book was set in the late 1960's and involved a lot of the drug culture of the time. At one point I wrote that pot smokers were only dangerous in their consumption of Hostess Twinkies -

In short, it's no problem unless its defamatory.

Markiemoo

Not Throwing Away My Shot
Registered
Reaction score
I try to remain generic - saying facial tissue instead of Kleenex, copying instead of. Eroxing. I think that is due to my journalistic background where lawsuits are always a possibility

Bradley Shiner

Registered
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes I would abstain from doing so. Aforementioned product placement, defamation and other legal issues might be unnecessary burden unless you feel that it is absolutely indispensable to create the ambience of your story. In that case you'd better consult a lawyer ;)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I disagree. Stay in POV. If your character eats Pop-Tarts, "fruit filled toaster pastries" is going to toss your reader right out of the story.

I think one of the books in the Twilight series used DumpsterTM and it threw me out of the story every time. Although to be fair, there were a lot of things throwing me out of those books.

As I mentioned upthread as someone with a lot of TMs to defend in my day job, the vast majority of businesses couldn't give a crap less about the random use of a trademark in fiction, and it's hardly a defensible position for them anyway because the fiction writer is not in competition with them. To win such a case, the complainant would have to prove actual lost profits or make a very strong case for potential lost profits and/or marketplace confusion risking lost profits. Preventing anyone from ever uttering your product's name is not at all what TMs are for.

I don't know of the movie, but I'd wager Ford wouldn't go near that.

It'd be hard to defame the Pinto by implying it exploded if you hit it from behind, as it... exploded if you hit it from behind, heh. You know what I mean; you can't defame, or libel, or slander with the truth. Thus, for Ford to pursue a case, they'd probably have to show up in a court and explain how the Pinto exploded if you hit it from behind but not THAT gently, which doesn't seem like the best pr move.
One of my favorite things ever is this accurate custom flame job on a Pinto.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Use whatever brand of aftershave, shower gel, car, hotel chain, restaurant, etc., the POV character uses. So long as in your narrative you don't trash the product - you'll be OK. When did you last read of a rich guy character driving a made-up brand of car?

Let common-sense prevail.

Last edited:

LeftyLucy

Registered
Reaction score
You can't possibly do this worse than Dan Brown, so as long as it's in keeping with the story/character and not disparaging the brand, I'd say go for it.