Painter for 20yrs. Writer for 6. Can I combine both in an author's site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turniphead2

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hi

I want to develop an author site, but I used to paint and have a lot of press articles for painting and pics too.
Can I have an author site and combine it with my history as a painter, or would showing the paintings distract from the author PR. And will it leave people thinking: 'Well, is this guy a painter or a writer?'

Painting was a big part of my life and I had some good success with it. I'm tempted to have an 'all round blog'
But would this distract from my writing. I already have a wordpress site that's a blog - I blog about writing, but there's a section for my paintings too.

I'd like to put some of the press articles I enjoyed as a painter and obv have a top menu with 'Author Page' or something like it.

Any thoughts?

Turnip

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you need a separate website from your blog? If you have a WordPress site, you can create static pages.

Personally, I think a website/blog is better. The blog keeps changing as you add new posts, so there's a reason for people to come back. If they keep coming back, they'll know when you have new releases.

I don't think there's a problem with having your paintings up, but it's up to you what the focus of your blog is. If you have a section on paintings, but most of your posts are about writing, I don't think people will be confused. Writers who are also visual artists aren't a super-uncommon thing.

I'm a painter, too, although most of my current work is story-related. I'd rather paint my own kelpies, unicorns, dragons, etc. than use someone else's work. I think the best way to tie the two together is to use your artwork with your posts, if that's possible for you. We all need graphics for our posts anyway. Maybe you can write stories to go with your art.

If you're going with tabs across the top, you can always put your art in its own section. :)

Daffyjkl

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with including writing and painting on a single website. Just keep unique pages for both. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.