Question about Createspace

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
I setup an account and started a new project for my book. I used their template and pasted the unformatted text from my book into the template. So far, so good. While I was working on it, I took note of the grayed-out lines at the top of the pages—on one side AUTHOR and on the other side BOOK TITLE.

As those filled in automatically during the processing of the file? They still show up in Interior Reviewer, so I'm unsure. Do I need to do something in the template to get those to fill in properly?

Bonus question. It appears that you can now publish both mobi and print at KDP. So why use Createspace? Would it make more sense to use KDP for both?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
1) You need to open the header and fill those in.
2) Createspace distributes outside Amazon and is less buggy as a process.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Bonus question. It appears that you can now publish both mobi and print at KDP. So why use Createspace? Would it make more sense to use KDP for both?
In addition to what veinglory said, Createspace gives you a proof copy and subsequent author copies at cost; KDP Print Beta doesn't

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
Oh, also Creativeness will give you a free proof copy.

I'm not sure what this means. Creativeness?

CreateSpace doesn't provide a free proof copy; the author/publisher must pay production and shipping costs. But KDP Print doesn't have this option at all. The author/publisher can only obtain KDP Print copies by paying full retail price through Amazon.

Can you please explain what Creativeness is and what it has to do with this thread about CreateSpace and KDP?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what this means. Creativeness?

CreateSpace doesn't provide a free proof copy; the author/publisher must pay production and shipping costs. But KDP Print doesn't have this option at all. The author/publisher can only obtain KDP Print copies by paying full retail price through Amazon.

Can you please explain what Creativeness is and what it has to do with this thread about CreateSpace and KDP?

I suspect it was an autocorrect mistake re CreateSpace. I don't think we need to harp on about it.

I thought CreateSpace did provide free proof copies. It's useful to know that they don't. Thank you for that.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I thought CreateSpace did provide free proof copies. It's useful to know that they don't. Thank you for that.

I used the PDF proof, which is free, for a first-pass check, but yes, CreateSpace charges production+shipping for the printed proof.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CreateSpace has two options for digital proofing. You can also order a physical proof copy at cost plus shipping.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It s technically a "cost price" proof copy, but KDP Print does not offer this. You can only get proofs at full price, although you get the royalty back they keep their share f the price above cost.

I have produced paperback books by both systems, both are adequate but Createspace is better.