Quality or quantity? Which one should you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananarama

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently created a blog article talking about quality vs quantity of books published. If you’ve been in the publishing or self-publishing business for any amount of time you will have eventually come across the extremely important question of quality vs quantity. Is it more important to publish less books that are of a higher quality? Or is it better to publish more books but sacrifice some quality in the mean time? In this blog, I’ll discuss the full impact of having a quality book and what things can be improved that make the most difference. Click the link below to view it:

https://pinn.cl/qualityvsquantity

I hope that you enjoy and learn from this article. If you have more ideas and questions, let's discuss!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing so because.. who has that discussion? Who the hell is in favour of lower-quality on purpose?

What is happening?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. This guy has been doing this on Kboards and Reddit too.

We're not even SPECIAL?

Hmph.

Holy god -- I looked. The post, at what purports to be a publishing site, is so rife with errors it's basically unreadable. A "publisher" who cannot put together a grammatically-correct sentence is not cute.

This is but a random snippet -- sic the world

If you bought a book under a specific publishers brand or authors brand and the book sucks. Then you’re not going to buy another buy from them. HINT: You’re customers feel the same way about your books

So something I’ve been seeing a lot with Amazon from the beginning and all, and some of the people who compete with me and with my books, I see this and probably the reason I win, I beat them is, or one of the reasons is because their books suck. They publish bad books.

By this, I don’t mean they’re a bad writer or that, any of that. I mean that they don’t put a lot of time and effort into the cover. They don’t put a lot of time and effort into creating a title. More importantly, they don’t put a lot of time and effort into the content of the book.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Dearie me. And I was railing at the use of less instead of fewer in the OP.

That's actually what prompted me to look.

He's got a scheme whereby he says he charges people $250 an hour (in four-hour packages) to listen to his, er, wisdom. I don't want to believe any of this works on anyone.

Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
That's actually what prompted me to look.

He's got a scheme whereby he says he charges people $250 an hour (in four-hour packages) to listen to his, er, wisdom. I don't want to believe any of this works on anyone.

I'll tell you if it works... if you pay me $500.

Sedjet

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
We're not even SPECIAL?

Hmph.

Holy god -- I looked. The post, at what purports to be a publishing site, is so rife with errors it's basically unreadable. A "publisher" who cannot put together a grammatically-correct sentence is not cute.

This is but a random snippet -- sic the world

That snippet kind of sounds like Donald Trump wrote it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you say 'discuss' do you mean 'drop a link to your business here and run away'?
To be fair, he's made two posts. Which is to say, dropped two links. Third time might be the charm.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Bananarama has left the building.

I too am boggling at the "advice" he gives on his blog. Blimey.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
To be fair, he's made two posts. Which is to say, dropped two links. Third time might be the charm.

I think he's made three, but one's been deleted. There was the initial post about crime novels; then another one, can't remember the topic, but we implored him to talk to us; and now this.

I see that Pinnacle's 'books' are mostly very short, seem to have similar structures, and are authored by people whose photos are labelled in the stockphoto catalogue with keywords such as 'senior glasses man' and 'young cool trendy man glasses smiling'.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see that Pinnacle's 'books' are mostly very short, seem to have similar structures, and are authored by people whose photos are labelled in the stockphoto catalogue with keywords such as 'senior glasses man' and 'young cool trendy man glasses smiling'.
Phone number?

ETA: Asking for a friend

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It's a shame, really. There are incredibly helpful communities out there full of indie authors willing to help for free. I guess these sort of services appeal to the "magic bullet" crowd.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
What about 'young cool trendy man glasses smiling'? Because in the world of stockphotos, this is exactly the same person.

If he wanted a young cool trendy man wearing glasses and smiling who writes books and he didn't come to me... well, I approve of that about as much as I do of his link dropping.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If he wanted a young cool trendy man wearing glasses and smiling who writes books and he didn't come to me... well, I approve of that about as much as I do of his link dropping.
If you'd had carrots it might have been different.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
So weer all agreed, pump em out as fast as your can and make a tun of monny. Get's my vote.

-Derek

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
This might be the sort of the advice that your $250/hr will get you:

Anyway, you’re going to want to create a book. The minimum publishing length for a book is 26 pages, I believe. Maybe 25 pages which is either way, it’s about 5,000 words. If you write a book, it’s 5,000 words in length. That’s all you need. Granted, that’s short. You might want to have a little bit longer of a book. I recommend at least 10,000 to 15,000 words which would be around 50 pages to 75 pages. You know, as a minimum length, that’s what I do as a minimum for my books. If you can go longer, that’s great. But you don’t want to go too long either.

Anything over 40,000 words, you’re getting a bit too long unless you have a very, very interesting book. You know, you’re asking people to read for hours, especially if it’s non-fiction. Most non-fiction people want to read their book quick and want to get a couple hours in and know what they want to know, what they’re looking for. You can either write the book yourself or you can go on another website like freelancer.com, upwork.com. I would recommend Upwork. You can put out another job posting and hire somebody specifically to write the book for you. Like I said, if you’re your own author, you can just write the book yourself. That’s totally fine.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
This might be the sort of the advice that your $250/hr will get you:
Anyway, you’re going to want to create a book. The minimum publishing length for a book is 26 pages, I believe. Maybe 25 pages which is either way, it’s about 5,000 words. If you write a book, it’s 5,000 words in length. That’s all you need. Granted, that’s short. You might want to have a little bit longer of a book. I recommend at least 10,000 to 15,000 words which would be around 50 pages to 75 pages. You know, as a minimum length, that’s what I do as a minimum for my books. If you can go longer, that’s great. But you don’t want to go too long either.

Anything over 40,000 words, you’re getting a bit too long unless you have a very, very interesting book. You know, you’re asking people to read for hours, especially if it’s non-fiction. Most non-fiction people want to read their book quick and want to get a couple hours in and know what they want to know, what they’re looking for. You can either write the book yourself or you can go on another website like freelancer.com, upwork.com. I would recommend Upwork. You can put out another job posting and hire somebody specifically to write the book for you. Like I said, if you’re your own author, you can just write the book yourself. That’s totally fine.

Good Grief

- - - Updated - - -

It's threads like this that make life worth living. :)

Certainly put a smile on my face this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.