Time required to learn martial art

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
All they wanted was my money. Did they really deserve to have their knee destroyed?

For what my opinion is worth: Yes. Seeing as he was willing to commit violent robbery. You're not entitled to other people's money just because you're big.

Fuck that guy, and his sports dreams.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I seem to have taken the thread off on a tangent here with my guilty admission so apologies. The only point was that as someone with very little skill, and not even meaning to hurt anyone, I had the unfortunate experience of possibly ending someone's career with a kick to the knee.

As to the several people who messaged me privately to help assuage my sense of guilt, thank you. The guilt comes from having caused serious and possibly life-changing bodily harm to someone who may not have even really hurt me. All they wanted was my money. Did they really deserve to have their knee destroyed?

It also had to have been somewhat humiliating for a high school brawny guy like him to have to admit to his family and friends that some scrawny little new kid in town took him out so quickly and heartlessly walk away from it without even really thinking about it or even putting much effort.

Anyway, back on topic, the point is even a relative rookie could hurt someone with some essential defensive training. To become consistently adept though, I'd still standby my original statement that it'd take a few years. Just my $0.02 :)

I hear ya, Jason. One of the things it takes longest to learn with any martial art is how *not* to hurt people.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
You might want to look up the suffragettes and the training they did. That is Edwardian but it was girls and women of all classes learning effectively street fighting.

Speaking as someone who has learnt fencing, (then much later did a bit of karate) - learning fencing teaches you the all important ability to track what is going on in a fight. If someone comes at you it isn't all a massive, muddled surprise, you can pick out movements and you are likely to try to parry on reflex. Which at least is smacking the attacker's incoming fist to one side and you might get some sort of riposte in. (Without a weapon, maybe not very effective, but could grab a handful of something painful). You also have an awareness of distance - as in the zone inside of which they can hit you, so you'd probably start to react, maybe duck the blow and run.
Which does mean if she has done years of fencing, and is then mugged, she would have put up a bit of a showing if they came at her from the front. Grabbed from behind, probably not.

Iron shafted parasols are quite popular as weapons in books set in the Victorian period - Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters, Gail Carriger's Tarrabotti urban fantasy.

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
You might want to look up the suffragettes and the training they did. That is Edwardian but it was girls and women of all classes learning effectively street fighting.

Speaking as someone who has learnt fencing, (then much later did a bit of karate) - learning fencing teaches you the all important ability to track what is going on in a fight. If someone comes at you it isn't all a massive, muddled surprise, you can pick out movements and you are likely to try to parry on reflex. Which at least is smacking the attacker's incoming fist to one side and you might get some sort of riposte in. (Without a weapon, maybe not very effective, but could grab a handful of something painful). You also have an awareness of distance - as in the zone inside of which they can hit you, so you'd probably start to react, maybe duck the blow and run.
Which does mean if she has done years of fencing, and is then mugged, she would have put up a bit of a showing if they came at her from the front. Grabbed from behind, probably not.

Iron shafted parasols are quite popular as weapons in books set in the Victorian period - Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters, Gail Carriger's Tarrabotti urban fantasy.

On the subject of suffragettes, this is also worth a look:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?306773-Purse-snatchers-beware!

Note that if you decide to research this further, there is a difference between Japanese jujutsu (often Anglicised as jujitsu or jiu-jitsu) and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Jujutsu is the original classical art, and the basis for later forms including Judo and Aikido. There's also a connection to Bartitsu, mentioned upthread. BJJ is one such later form, and is now popular and commonly used in Mixed Martial Arts contests, so if you search for "jiu jitsu" or "jujitsu" half of what you find will be BJJ- and MMA-related. I know this because I study the Japanese form...

Last edited:

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
A little late to the party, but I'm concurring with 2-3 years if you want her good in a more structured way. I was a pre-professional dancer until I was 18 and then a dedicated hobbyist after (an injury meant I could never go pro), and now I'm out of practice by 5ish years. If I were to go back right now, a few hours at a time for a few days a week, it would take me 2 years before I could do my tricks again, most likely (some people are just lucky and get it back faster). Some grueling training can see you get the physical abilities in 6-12 months, but she'd still have to train longer to get the instincts.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Victorian times, the western world knew nothing about the Asian fighting arts. "Martial Arts" was coined in out generations.

My recommendation is for her to be befriended by a Shizoku. I'll let you research it.

You might even through in Mitzubishi as an idea as the founder was grandson of a Samurai

rt

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A little late to the party, but I'm concurring with 2-3 years if you want her good in a more structured way. I was a pre-professional dancer until I was 18 and then a dedicated hobbyist after (an injury meant I could never go pro), and now I'm out of practice by 5ish years. If I were to go back right now, a few hours at a time for a few days a week, it would take me 2 years before I could do my tricks again, most likely (some people are just lucky and get it back faster). Some grueling training can see you get the physical abilities in 6-12 months, but she'd still have to train longer to get the instincts.

However, once you get the instincts trained in, they're there forever. I haven't trained seriously in years, but just this weekend I was horsing around with another martial artist, and we both started "rooting", that is, lowering our centers of gravity to make our balance more reliable, completely on automatic. At this point, I'd need a lot of brushing-up before I could do any of the fancier moves or even remember the more complex combinations, but the very most basic stuff -- how to center, how to make a fist, how to breathe, how to react -- is still right there. And sometimes those basics are enough to decide a fight, especially against an untrained opponent.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Eastern martial arts are peculiar to the Orient and would not have had much penetration into Victorian society until right before Queen Victoria's death. Here is one example of something that did cross over, Bartitsu (est. 1898) https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/bartitsu-the-steampunk-mixed-martial-art As a happy coincidence, they accepted women into their training schools.

Any one spending much time in the Orient or Brazil or seaports, if they were good at mingling with the natives of lower classes and other sailors, could have picked up a solid bunch of effective street fighting techniques of un-named schools. Brazil had capoeira, developed in the 1700s. The French had Savate by the 1800s. Jujutsu is early 17th century, with lots of joint locks and other nasties.

And there is the tessen - the iron fan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessenjutsu which sounds quite ladylike.

I seem to have taken the thread off on a tangent here with my guilty admission so apologies. The only point was that as someone with very little skill, and not even meaning to hurt anyone, I had the unfortunate experience of possibly ending someone's career with a kick to the knee.

You may also have kept him from a career as a common street mugger and thug. And jail, felony records, and the like.