Also, if this works, then... "Too, is this sentence right?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creep

Banned
Reaction score
I have a friend, this maniac, who writes like this all the time. Example :

"Too, the meaning of a word or phrase is not limited to its original or most popular meaning."

This "too" drives me mental. I know you can say things like:

"Also, I write pretentious sentences."

But her "too"?

It's going to make me smash something. I hope somebody can tell me it's wrong, but I suspect it's probably allowed. Too, some people might even like it. But it makes my eyes rattle.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen anyone use it, not once in my life, even from the worst writer.

I'd bet money that it is not an acceptable way of writing. Or talking.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard older (like my grand and great-grand parents' age) people *say* that when their grammar goes up on stilts, but I have never, ever, ever seen it written.

Too, I never want to.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't wrong, in the (descriptive) sense that it is a usage that occurs and is attested in lots of texts dating back quite a while. But you are not alone in disliking it. Here's one interesting blog post (and comment discussion) about it.

ETA: The post I linked notes that according to the OED, it was in common usage centuries ago, and then became obsolete, after which it seems to have had a bit of a 20th-century revival, chiefly in American usage.

Last edited:

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I've seen it in a published novel by a respected author. It stood out because I'm not used to it, but it didn't grate on my nerves.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I've not seen it either, but then there's a lot I haven't seen. It does seem archaic usage and would jolt me from a text. Could be it's being used to reflect the time period/generation, in which case it would be okay(ish), but... hmmm, it sounds like an author footprint if it's across multiple texts. Again nothing wrong with that, but sometimes a comprise is needed for a more natural flow that doesn't take the reader out of the work over word choice. But that's like telling my son to stop 'Basically' at the start of most sentences, lol. We all have our kinks and quirks over language.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I've seen it following a corresponding sentence. John O’Brien’s Leaving Las Vegas--

Common wisdom would indicate that she should be a little apprehensive but her instincts tell her differently; this person wishes her no harm. Too, she hasn’t felt inclined toward apprehension lately. She has quickly faded into an observational fatalism — or is it bland apathy? She doesn’t really care.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
If it is suppose to purposely annoy the reader or go What the .. I'd say it does a pretty good job.

P.S. note the use of purposely

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I know someone who says, "And, too, ... " to emphasise what they're about to say. And another person who says, "Plus as well, ..." Neither exactly help my blood pressure. I wouldn't use either, nor would I use "too" in the way quoted in the OP. But I'm not sure it's wrong. I've read it in a few places.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend, this maniac, who writes like this all the time. Example :

"Too, the meaning of a word or phrase is not limited to its original or most popular meaning."

This "too" drives me mental. I know you can say things like:

"Also, I write pretentious sentences."

But her "too"?

It's going to make me smash something. I hope somebody can tell me it's wrong, but I suspect it's probably allowed. Too, some people might even like it. But it makes my eyes rattle.

Does she start the preceding sentence with "Won"? It could be simple spelling error :):evil

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I frequently hear (and have used in casual speech myself) "Then too, ...etc." I think starting with "Too,..." is just a shorter version of that. At any rate, I see it as a colloquialism, and there's nothing actually wrong with using it in dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.