• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Not exactly writer's block--more of a confidence block

Status
Not open for further replies.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Nice point. I'm trying to be self-aware on the whole fear thing, since being in control of myself is a priority for me. I had other complicating factors like illness making me less physically competent, and family challenges that don't seem like they can be overcome at the present time. I'm thinking those helped give this whole thing more weight.

I'm trying gardening to get back in shape--lying on my back for two months impacted me even without the virus I picked up. And I went to counseling over the family stuff. I'll revise when I can and get a beta reader I trust to give me a critical look. There is a solution out there. I just have to keep my head until I find it.

Talking it out in this forum has helped. Thanks so much, everyone who contributed. :)

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
I think sometimes you should just take a break, not look at it, not think about it, no worry about it. Two months away. Then back.

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
I don't want to put out drivel and think it's good.

To some extent, we're all going to do this. That is, there is always going to be someone out there who thinks your writing is drivel. It's basically inevitable. The point mainly should be to please yourself. Yes, your story should of course be understood by others, but to me a good book is one that conveys clearly and well the author's emotions/thoughts. That is, it is something that only the author could have produced. So when you write, make sure you're happy. You can't please everyone, and by pleasing yourself you gather readers who empathize with how you feel/think.

Actually, I think your family issues may be a bigger problem than betas. It can be really hard to write when you feel like you're surrounded by pain. Yeah, maybe a break is in order. If you like, I'll beta for you, if you're feeling up to that.

AAbboud

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Cathleen and PastyAlien!

Cathleen, I hope that you're feeling better about everything. Feeling frozen is such a miserable experience. At the moment, I can't seem to write the last two chapters of my WIP. I'm terrified! It's such hard work. That's why I really appreciate PastyAlien's great advice, especially about getting out and enjoying yourself and nurturing the artist in you. Sometimes, at least for me, it's hard to have fun because I feel guilty about not writing every spare moment I can. But creating should not feel like slavery. Have you ever tried writing a scene just for the fun of it, something that won't be in the book? Just to let the characters have at it or just to indulge yourself? Or to write something fun that's completely unrelated? Those little side-trips can fuel the soul.

I wish you the best!

Last edited:

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a confidence crisis, too. I've been reading and writing more, and now I'm suddenly starting to panic and fear about the reality of being a traditionally published author (since literary agents want to sign authors who plan on writing a lot of books for their career): having to visit schools and give readings; having to make an author's website and watch my public persona, for fear of unintentionally, accidently saying something that readers or parents might feel upset about (I've seen them complain and give one-star reviews on author's books.)

I'm suddenly starting to question whether I'd really want a life that like; I'm an introvert, so my mind really only liked fantasizing about writing at home, alone, and having others read what I've written, themselves.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Okay,.it's overdue, but thanks to ecerberus, Nerdilydone, and AAboud. I'm not blocked anymore--I'm just stuck in editing hell right now. I'm getting ready to publish another book (hurray, hurray) so that means I'll only have nine in my damn-it-I've-got-to-get-these-things-published pile. Eight novels and a short story collection. Ugh. But one collection will be leaving the stack, and that's a very good thing.

And novicewriter, you don't have to make public appearances to write. About the only thing I see on your fear list that seems non-negotiable (and others will disagree) is watching your online persona. I agree that visiting schools isn't worth the risk to reward ratio. I'm no longer teaching because schools have so many vicious people who ruin lives as a pastime. Steer clear would be my advice.

If there's something that people recommend doing that you absolutely can't do, then realize that, and don't do it. Maybe you can work up to it in time, and maybe you can't. For now, I'd concentrate on doing what you can do. Write. Edit. Produce tales that you're really proud of. And then build on that success. Do the best you can and try to be happy with it. :)

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Okay,.it's overdue, but thanks to ecerberus, Nerdilydone, and AAboud. I'm not blocked anymore--I'm just stuck in editing hell right now. I'm getting ready to publish another book (hurray, hurray) so that means I'll only have nine in my damn-it-I've-got-to-get-these-things-published pile. Eight novels and a short story collection. Ugh. But one collection will be leaving the stack, and that's a very good thing.
First, congrats on the new book! :hooray: And I'm glad you've smashed that damn writer's block, because I love reading what you write.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
...And novicewriter, you don't have to make public appearances to write....

Oh. I wasn't sure. When I asked an intern for one literary agent about it, he said that publishers would expect me to work up to doing that. And since I've seen famous authors, and not-so famous ones, give public readings at bookstores and schools, it gave me the impression that it's what literary agents and publishers want, and expect, from all writers, (but especially children's book writers) because it seemed to be one of the main ways or part of what an author has to do to sell their books.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, tri. That's not good.

You might like to try something that usually works for me.

Google "self compassion meditation". Find a guided self compassion meditation you can sit along to--you want a voice which makes you feel safe and comfortable, not one that sets you on edge. There are loads of guided meditations you can download for free, lots on YouTube; it doesn't have to cost you any. Look for a few which take five, ten, fifteen minutes. Short ones. That's what you want. Then every day, do at least one of those meditations, and then sit with yourself for a while after.

After a while, I find it gets me to a point where I can write. It's definitely worth a try.

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever felt confident in anything I have pursued but it gets done at a snail pace and pieces expand into landscapes and what I find there reflects a lot that I feel is vital for my personal growth and curiosity and it just churns and accumulates and I get to purge and paint. I just get on with it as much as I can, I am confident that it serves a purpose, I don't even consider that it will ever do much more but that's fine. If you get something from writing, I think that comes first, you've gotta have a lot of courage to put anything to paper or keyboard and try to translate what is bubbling within, that's pure swagger!

Status
Not open for further replies.