AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not exactly writer's block--more of a confidence block

Nice point. I'm trying to be self-aware on the whole fear thing, since being in control of myself is a priority for me. I had other complicating factors like illness making me less physically competent, and family challenges that don't seem like they can be overcome at the present time. I'm thinking those helped give this whole thing more weight.

I'm trying gardening to get back in shape--lying on my back for two months impacted me even without the virus I picked up. And I went to counseling over the family stuff. I'll revise when I can and get a beta reader I trust to give me a critical look. There is a solution out there. I just have to keep my head until I find it.

Talking it out in this forum has helped. Thanks so much, everyone who contributed.

Website/blog: The Beauty of Words
    Twitter: @CathleenTowns

figuring it all out
    I think sometimes you should just take a break, not look at it, not think about it, no worry about it. Two months away. Then back.
    First time writer. Go ahead, rain on my parade!

Sailing in a sea of mushroom... Nerdilydone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CathleenT View Post
    I don't want to put out drivel and think it's good.
    To some extent, we're all going to do this. That is, there is always going to be someone out there who thinks your writing is drivel. It's basically inevitable. The point mainly should be to please yourself. Yes, your story should of course be understood by others, but to me a good book is one that conveys clearly and well the author's emotions/thoughts. That is, it is something that only the author could have produced. So when you write, make sure you're happy. You can't please everyone, and by pleasing yourself you gather readers who empathize with how you feel/think.

Actually, I think your family issues may be a bigger problem than betas. It can be really hard to write when you feel like you're surrounded by pain. Yeah, maybe a break is in order. If you like, I'll beta for you, if you're feeling up to that.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hi, Cathleen and PastyAlien!

Cathleen, I hope that you're feeling better about everything. Feeling frozen is such a miserable experience. At the moment, I can't seem to write the last two chapters of my WIP. I'm terrified! It's such hard work. That's why I really appreciate PastyAlien's great advice, especially about getting out and enjoying yourself and nurturing the artist in you. Sometimes, at least for me, it's hard to have fun because I feel guilty about not writing every spare moment I can. But creating should not feel like slavery. Have you ever tried writing a scene just for the fun of it, something that won't be in the book? Just to let the characters have at it or just to indulge yourself? Or to write something fun that's completely unrelated? Those little side-trips can fuel the soul.

I wish you the best!
    Last edited by AAbboud; 07-11-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12