Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halyard Literary Agency (Alaina Grayson)

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar

Halyard Literary Agency (Alaina Grayson)

Another new agent on the block.
    http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/Delphic/

The Publishers Marketplace listing doesn't say anything about her previous experience and Google turns up very little.
    Anyone know anything?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Based out of Chicago, Halyard Literary Agency is a new agency on the lookout for authors who have the same passion for innovation that we do. Halyard is small, but provides assistance through every stage of book production. We're dedicated to building relationships with our authors, not just for one book or one year, but throughout their publishing life. Come grow with us!
    Well, I'm willing to bet she's the same "editorial coordinator" mentioned on MediaBistro. But that doesn't translate to any ability to sell books. And the "provides assistance through every stage of book production" makes me wonder about possible editing services. I'd hold off until there's more concrete information available (either on her website or in response to someone asking her for credentials).
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW
    I went ahead and sent her an email query.
    Last edited by ByGrace; 08-05-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Absolutely Fazed
    Could that be just an auto-mailer?

Heh. Successful use of autoresponse depends upon at least attempting to disguise the fact it's an autoresponse.

This post was previously recorded before a live studio audience.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Or of explicitly admitting that it's an autoresponse.

- Victoria

That would be the ideal thing, yes.

"Hello, this is an auto-response. We appreciate your query/question/submission/suggestion, and will give it our personal attention as soon as possible. Thank you, and have a nice day."

'Taint difficult, and leaves a better impression, IMHO.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 05-10-2006 at 09:37 PM.
    ICAO
    ---------

So what happened ByGrace? Did you get any further response?

I have not heard back yet, but it's not unusal to give an agent a few months to respond to a partial. I liked her very much. She seems personable and enthusiastic.

I asked a relative of mine who is one of the nations top romance writers about submitting to new agents. Her response was simple, if she adheres to the cannon of AAR ethics, if she doesn't charge a reading fee, and is pursuing membership into the AAR, try her.

I'm pretty confident Alaina Grayson will do well as an agent.

Quote Originally Posted by ByGrace

I asked a relative of mine who is one of the nations top romance writers about submitting to new agents. Her response was simple, if she adheres to the cannon of AAR ethics, if she doesn't charge a reading fee, and is pursuing membership into the AAR, try her.
    If I was related to "one of the nations top romance writers" I'd request a personal referral to her agent.

Just sayin'.
    I feel God in this Chili's.
    -Pam Beesley

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ByGrace
    One crucial addition to this list: "and if she has a relevant professional background." Does Ms. Grayson have any background in commercial publishing? Did she work for another (reputable) agency before setting up her own? If the answer to these questions is no, the odds are she won't have the skills and contacts an agent needs--which means the odds of success are slim.

- Victoria

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar

Wink

It does state that it's an auto-response.
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

Resident Bubble Girl bubblegirl's Avatar
    I like the cute little auto-responders when people are on extended leave. It saves authors wondering if their query was ever received.

Such as:

Thank you for your message. Currently, I am away from my office until ..... If you have an emergency, please contact someoneelse@ourcompany.com.

I've gotten those several times and I do appreciate them. Saves me wondering if they got the submission because my email definitely went to their box, but they may not reply for a while. I normally bank on a month after their return date; one can only imagine how many messages are waiting for their return!
    Season BubbleGirl

Author and motivation icon: housebound due to immune disease since 1997, yet still achieving!

www.bubblegirl.net - where individuality truly shines!

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar
    I was rejected...not for us...
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

I sent her a query in early June and got a personal response, not an auto-response. She mentioned things in her email that could only be known by reading my query. I'll let you know when I hear back from her.
    Mark

Want to learn about ETFs? Yours truly is the About.com Guide for Exchange Traded Funds.

I'm also the CEO of SEOM Interactive a Philadelphia SEO Company and I tweet at @markkennedysem

jdumais
    Heh. Lani's actually representing me. *grin* We knew each other via blog culture for about a year before she approached me; I'd been yammering about editing a novel and she said it sounded like just the thing she'd like to work with (YA historical). I've nothing but good to say of her; she actually helped me edit it first, then after we did a revision together she signed me. Admittedly, I'm a friend, which means I'm probably going to get slightly different treatment, but nonetheless.

Not only did she help me hugely -- she laughed when I thanked her for all her help, saying I was the one wrote the 75k novel, not her, but it wouldn't be nearly as good as it is if it weren't for her help -- she's been wonderfully supportive when I've had a few crises (my little brother was hospitalized, my hard drive died and I lost EVERYTHING, etc). As for industry contacts, she's only now getting off the ground as an agent, but she does work in publishing (and in fact first offered to pass it on to someone else if I weren't comfortable having her represent me), and had a woman from Puffin (Penguin's YA/children's chapter) call her looking for submissions. Which is where my sample and synopsis have been for about six weeks now. *crosses fingers*

At any rate. She *is* legit, though as she told me, there's no harm in someone else's wanting someone with a bit more experience on the representation side of things, rather than publishing/editing. Your mileage may vary and all that. For me, she's a perfect fit, though; I've nothing but good to say of her.

I'm sure Alaina is very busy since she put up her page at Publishers Marketplace. I sent her, at her request, my partial in June, but have not heard back from her. How long should I wait until I contact her asking about it?

If three months have passed then there is no harm in asking her if she received your partial - unless she acknowledged receipt at the time

I got THE nicest rejection letter from Alaina. She actually liked my pitch and my writing, it just wasn't her genre. At the time her website was under construction.

Anyone heard more on this agent? I've had no response for five months. Another agent has my partial at the moment, so I have not emailed Alaina to ask if she's had the chance to look at my partial. Her webpage has been up for many months, since April or May I believe with no change, just a page with the Halyard name.

This same thing happened to me. I emailed her and asked if she had read my partial. She explained that she had some PC problems over the summer. She apologized and read my manuscript over the following weekend. She kept her promise.

It wasn't for her, but the moral of the story is send a polite follow-up email since the same thing may have happened to your partial.

She was really cool and gave me some nice feedback. Good Luck.
    Mark

Want to learn about ETFs? Yours truly is the About.com Guide for Exchange Traded Funds.

I'm also the CEO of SEOM Interactive a Philadelphia SEO Company and I tweet at @markkennedysem

Does anyone know if she has made any legitimate sales?

Just noting that there's a website at http://halyardagency.com/index.html and a list of authors, but it isn't clear that any of the authors have books published or accepted by publishers.
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

practical experience, FTW AndreaGS's Avatar
    Any new info on this agency? I can't seem to find much online.
    Blog and Portfolio | Amazon Author Page | Twitter

Loose Changeling available on Amazon!

Songweaver's Awakening
    Epic fantasy. Free to read on Wattpad.

The Reeds of Torin's Field
    Free to read on Heroic Fantasy Quarterly

Represented by Juliet Mushens of United Talent Agency

Sales are indeed conspicuous by their absence. It's been two years, so there should be something out there if she has what it takes.
    ICAO
    ---------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast