Createspace AND Smashwords? Or only Smashwords?

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, Smashwords can be just plain ugly unless you're good at fudging things or can work in native HTML fairly well. It has it's place, but I try to avoid it anymore and go straight to KDP or possibly CreateSpace if I need a printed copy (fewer and fewer these days).

But, the suggestion to use Word, especially if you're writing in it (I am) and follow the style guide for whichever service you use is quite valid. It's the simplest, for the non-technical crowd at least, to get a good final product. Yes, you can do marginally better with other tools and skills, but you're supposed to be a writer, not a pseudo-programmer.

My other advice is not to use anything related to Apple, but that's why about a third of this planet hates me. Or at least one of the reasons. :)

Bottom line in all of this is you have a learning curve, and it does get steeper before it levels out some. But if you don't keep learning, you die. Or that's what my third grade teacher once told me.

Jeff

CaesarNaples

Collective intox
Registered
Reaction score
Smashwords has the original style guide I used to publish my ebook. It recommended converting the manuscript to text and converting to epub using their online epub converter I believe. I've also seen and used Calibre for converting to epub or mobi or a host of other formats. Lulu has an online converter that allows you to download the epub before publishing.

The great thing about Smashwords for me is the availability of the eBook hosting for sharing online. I've got a Smashwords ebook for my novelette in the signature. I put it up there 4 years ago.