Createspace AND Smashwords? Or only Smashwords?

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
I've written my first work of fiction, a novella at just under 23,000 words. I'm finidng that getting it published commercially is quite difficult. So, I've been researching self-publishing. This is all new to me, and I confess I'm grossly ignorant of the publishing industry in general. Smashwords will produce numerous ebook formats but publishes only in epub. My understanding is that I could put the mobi version on Amazon. Is that correct? Is there any advantage to having a print version as well? Could I publish as an ebook first and create a print version later if the sales justify it?

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
My understanding is that I could put the mobi version on Amazon.
Kindles use the proprietary Mobi file type, yes. But you can also upload a properly formatted ePub file to Kindle Direct Publishing, so if you just want to create one ebook file, go for ePub.

Could I publish as an ebook first and create a print version later if the sales justify it?
Yep.

Is there any advantage to having a print version as well?
There's really no disadvantage to having one (other than figuring out the formatting and publishing process), so why not give your readers an option?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Smashwords will accept ePub files, as SCB noted, but if you want an online preview and sampling for the Smashwords Direct website, you have to upload a properly formatted Word document. You can do both; the ePub will be distributed to retailers, and the Word document will be converted to all the other formats that Smashwords Direct sells.

Createspace is for print only, so the two are completely different. Formatting for print is also very different from formatting an e-book, so you may want to check out a few of the stickies in this forum.

My workflow is to create an ePub (using Sigil, a free ePub editor) and upload that directly to KDP. For books not enrolled in KDP Select (which requires that the e-book remain exclusive to Amazon), I upload the ePub (with a cover page added) to either Smashwords or D2D for distribution to all the other major retailers. I also upload the same ePub to Google Play, but it's been closed to new authors for a while now.

In short: don't bother with a .mobi file; just use a validated ePub.

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
Kindles use the proprietary Mobi file type, yes. But you can also upload a properly formatted ePub file to Kindle Direct Publishing, so if you just want to create one ebook file, go for ePub.

Yep.

There's really no disadvantage to having one (other than figuring out the formatting and publishing process), so why not give your readers an option?
Thank you. The requirements for print books are a lot more confusing. I think I'd have to have help with that. Is that something you do?

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
Smashwords will accept ePub files, as SCB noted, but if you want an online preview and sampling for the Smashwords Direct website, you have to upload a properly formatted Word document. You can do both; the ePub will be distributed to retailers, and the Word document will be converted to all the other formats that Smashwords Direct sells.

Createspace is for print only, so the two are completely different. Formatting for print is also very different from formatting an e-book, so you may want to check out a few of the stickies in this forum.

My workflow is to create an ePub (using Sigil, a free ePub editor) and upload that directly to KDP. For books not enrolled in KDP Select (which requires that the e-book remain exclusive to Amazon), I upload the ePub (with a cover page added) to either Smashwords or D2D for distribution to all the other major retailers. I also upload the same ePub to Google Play, but it's been closed to new authors for a while now.

In short: don't bother with a .mobi file; just use a validated ePub.
Thanks. That's very helpful. One more question.

I used calibre to create an epub and it validated. But the TOC isn't linked. Is that something you have to do before you upload it to Smashwords? Or does their monster thing add the links automagically?

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
The requirements for print books are a lot more confusing. I think I'd have to have help with that. Is that something you do?
Yes, that's what I do. You can visit my website (link below) for more information.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that Smashwords' Meatgrinder will add links to your TOC. I use Calibre, but not for creating ebook files (for that I use Sigil). So I'm afraid I can't provide direction on fixing it. You can contact me through my website if you'd like to discuss your project.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
An Amazon print version of under about 100 pages can lead to negative reviews, but there are ways around this.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For example an illustrated novella can be very well-received, or the inclusion of other added featured exclusive to the printed edition like a bonus related short story.

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
For example an illustrated novella can be very well-received, or the inclusion of other added featured exclusive to the printed edition like a bonus related short story.
Thank you.

BTW, I just checked. In ePub, the book is 131 pages.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Thanks. That's very helpful. One more question.

I used calibre to create an epub and it validated. But the TOC isn't linked. Is that something you have to do before you upload it to Smashwords? Or does their monster thing add the links automagically?

Calibre is not the best way to create an e-book, unless you know exactly what you're doing (and even then, it can make a mess in the underlying HTML/CSS). I recommend using Sigil.

OTOH, if you're using Smashwords, you could simply upload a Word doc. Just make sure to download their style guide and follow it exactly, especially the method of creating a manual TOC.

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
Calibre is not the best way to create an e-book, unless you know exactly what you're doing (and even then, it can make a mess in the underlying HTML/CSS). I recommend using Sigil.

OTOH, if you're using Smashwords, you could simply upload a Word doc. Just make sure to download their style guide and follow it exactly, especially the method of creating a manual TOC.

I'm not going to mess with what it takes to get Sigil built on my Mac. Too much work. The calibre epub passes the validator. If it's ugly under the hood, I'm not enough a purist to care. I now have a formatted Word version, so we'll see if that passes inspection.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I'm not going to mess with what it takes to get Sigil built on my Mac. Too much work.
What work? I downloaded the installer on my Mac, double-clicked, and it was done. You don't have to build a binary from source.

But yeah, try the Word doc at Smashwords, as long as you've followed their style guide to the letter. I prefer working directly with HTML, but plenty of people upload Word docs.

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
What work? I downloaded the installer on my Mac, double-clicked, and it was done. You don't have to build a binary from source.

But yeah, try the Word doc at Smashwords, as long as you've followed their style guide to the letter. I prefer working directly with HTML, but plenty of people upload Word docs.

Sorry, I went to github and didn't see binaries. I've now found one and installed it, but it appears that Sigil can only work with epub files, not docs or docx. I need something that can convert Word docs to ebooks. Calibre does that.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Sorry, I went to github and didn't see binaries. I've now found one and installed it, but it appears that Sigil can only work with epub files, not docs or docx. I need something that can convert Word docs to ebooks. Calibre does that.

If you're already working in Word, don't bother converting to anything. Both KDP and Smashwords accept .doc uploads, although I believe Smashwords doesn't like .docx. Any kind of push-button conversion is going to produce some level of garbage, of course, but you can minimize that by formatting the Word document correctly.

As for Sigil, I simply copy my text from Scrivener and paste it into my predesigned ePub template.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Avoid Meatgrinder. Upload your own EPUB. Headache free.

Yup. I used to upload Word docs along with the ePub, which was a lot of extra work since I don't use Word to write. The main reason for doing both is that ePub uploaders are treated like second-class citizens on the Smashwords Direct store: no online previews/sampling, and no conversion to other formats.

However, after doing ePub only, I found it didn't make much difference to sales on the SW Direct store.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, it seems there are a lot of different opinions floating around as to how to do this, which is fine. It's all about what works.

Both Amazon and Smashwords recommend loading Word documents, in Smashwords' case a doc instead of docx or rtf. But you won't use the same file. That would be way too easy for real life.

The Smashwords free ebook on how to format is truly excellent. I have to look it up every time I need to make a linked table of contents.

One of the main blarts you need to avoid is using the tab key, if you're old enough to have learned on a typewriter. If your manuscript is already full of tabs, the Smashwords book can tell you one of the easiest ways to fix this.

Createspace has templates you can use for each size of book they offer. That's the main difference between ebook and print. Ebook is fluid. Slip in a section break between chapters or short stories, and you're good to go. I do this as I draft now.

The createspace templates are the way to go for me, and they're in Word. The nice representative on the other end of the phone actually told me they prefer Word docs. I don't see any reason to go loading epubs and mobis if you don't have to mess with them. But I'm mildly tech-averse. I'll usually take the least intimidating path in this area.

A print book, unlike an ebook, has set pages, with page numbers and headings. I can now do the headings almost without thought, but I had many days of tooth-grinding frustration to get there. Be sure to center the page numbers on the bottom, like in the template. I'm telling you this as a friend. It's not worth the frustration of trying to put the page number on the top outside margin, which is a different side for odd and even pages.

The good news is that it's way easier to get a hold of a createspace tech on the phone than a KDP representative. Just a heads up, when I recently replaced my createspace file, I had to use Mozilla Firefox. That's apparently their preferred browser, so if you don't use it (I usually use Chrome), you might need to download Firefox to transfer your files.

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Right now I'm experiencing some angst over D2D with respect to covers. I ended up downloading Sigil, but I am finding that it is very daunting to me. I figured out that I can export my Word document to a filtered HTML file, read it in to Sigil and the formatting is mostly intact. Importing at a plain text file erases an unacceptable amount of formatting (italics, indentation, etc...). I know, this is a Smashwords thread. I'm getting to it.

My problem is how to integrate the cover. The help files on Sigil appear to be botched, and the research I have done suggests that incorporating the cover image is a very convoluted process involving editing the hard coding itself. F that.

So, I'm back to the drawing board. As far as I know, the two uploads I did to Smashwords a couple years ago incorporated the covers correctly. I really don't feel like spending the time to created a bookmarked TOC for Smashwords. I would if it was only a couple books but I need to port eight right now.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
The Smashwords free ebook on how to format is truly excellent. I have to look it up every time I need to make a linked table of contents.
Yes, if you use Word, I highly recommend it. In fact, I even recommend it if you're uploading Word files to KDP.

The createspace templates are the way to go for me, and they're in Word. The nice representative on the other end of the phone actually told me they prefer Word docs. I don't see any reason to go loading epubs and mobis if you don't have to mess with them. But I'm mildly tech-averse. I'll usually take the least intimidating path in this area.
Actually, Createspace recommends uploading print-ready PDF files for best results. And I don't think anyone was suggesting using an ePub for Createspace. ePub/mobi are e-book formats, not print.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
My problem is how to integrate the cover. The help files on Sigil appear to be botched, and the research I have done suggests that incorporating the cover image is a very convoluted process involving editing the hard coding itself. F that.

I realize you're not planning on using Sigil now, but just in case...the process isn't convoluted at all.

1. Add your cover image to the images folder within the ePub file.

2. Go to Tools: Add Cover. Select the image you just added.

3. Done.

---

Edit: It sounds like you're overthinking the cover issue. As I mentioned in your other thread, the cover file you're attempting to use is huge. Try resizing it to something like 1800 x 2700 pixels, and you should be fine just using a Word doc.

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I realize you're not planning on using Sigil now, but just in case...the process isn't convoluted at all.

1. Add your cover image to the images folder within the ePub file.

2. Go to Tools: Add Cover. Select the image you just added.

3. Done.

---

Edit: It sounds like you're overthinking the cover issue. As I mentioned in your other thread, the cover file you're attempting to use is huge. Try resizing it to something like 1800 x 2700 pixels, and you should be fine just using a Word doc.

Yeah but I have no such option under Tools. Maybe I have a watered down version of Sigil?