• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta readers needed for 110k YA urban fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! I’m looking for beta readers for my 110,000-word YA urban fantasy, WAKE THE SOUL. Quick teaser:

I skimmed through the paperwork. Apparently the school would not be liable for death, injury, serious psychological trauma or—“Loss of my soul?”

“Occupational hazard,” Frost said without a trace of humour. “You will protect our secrets. You will follow our orders. In essence, you will be property of the school.”

“Can you get me into Oxford after this?” Nobody would ever touch me if I went to Oxford. I could be a physicist and spend my time building superweapons.

“Miss Lancaster, if I wanted to get pupils into Oxford, I’d be running a preparatory school in the Home Counties. This is not that kind of academy. By the time I’m through with you, you’ll have the makings of an engineer, or a pilot, or a soldier.” Frost held out her silver fountain pen. “Either that, or you’ll be dead.”

I like to pitch this book as Harry Potter rewritten in the style of an airship Battlestar Galactica. 15-year-old orphan Cas Lancaster is living with an abusive foster family in London when she’s approached on the Underground and recruited into a magic school. She’s expecting a fantasy version of Eton, but it turns out to be an island fortress where teenagers train to become magic soldiers called Nightguards, who protect people from Eaters who feast on human souls. The plot turns around the wreck of a super-powerful Galactica-style airship belonging to the Nightguard, but I think the heart of the story is Cas’ fight to hold onto her hope, loyalty, affection and wonder in the face of monsters literal and figurative.

The manuscript has been through a previous round of beta readers, some of whom described it as "cinematic", "electric" and "visceral", and I’ve since done a thorough revision, adding around 40k of new scenes. I pitched this to agents at writing conferences last year and received full requests, so I’m now looking for volunteers to do a final read in the next few weeks before I send it out. If you're interested, please hit me with your email address. Thanks in advance! :LilLove:

Content warnings: Sexual violence in the opening chapter. Also stabbings, shootings, missile launchers, giant airship battles, angry gods and numerous attempts to eat the protagonist’s soul. Please come eager and ready for LGBT storylines :heart: and an emphasis on female characters.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, crikey, I'm already over committed thanks to Sage's beta project, or I'd put my hand up for this one.

If you're still looking for betas in a month or so, please PM me!

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my, this book sounds amazing. What sort of crits are you looking for? Line by line, or big picture? I'm a little worried that I'll get sucked into the story and will have no changes or crits.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, crikey, I'm already over committed thanks to Sage's beta project, or I'd put my hand up for this one.

If you're still looking for betas in a month or so, please PM me!

Just put it in my calendar to nudge you in a month! Thanks for your interest! :heart:

Oh my, this book sounds amazing. What sort of crits are you looking for? Line by line, or big picture? I'm a little worried that I'll get sucked into the story and will have no changes or crits.

Big-picture would be ideal. I can ask specific questions if you'd prefer. I added a ton of new stuff nobody has ever read before, so I'm sure there's plenty to tear apart. :D

neurotype

New Fish; Thick Scales
Registered
Reaction score
Count me on board! Would you be okay with a crit return in August? I am definitely available in the next couple of weeks but I signed on to beta for someone else last week, so I will have to split the time between you and I may not finish before I'm away on vacation. If around August sounds workable, I'd love to read. Shoot me a PM and we can arrange the handover.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just put it in my calendar to nudge you in a month! Thanks for your interest!
And if I'm free earlier, I'll nudge you: this sounds like a terrif book and right up my alley!

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Parametric, I don't mind giving you a quick continuity beta. Only thing is, I'm free after I finish an edit tomorrow, but then the edits come through pretty quick after that. Do you have an exact date for when you're sending out the script to betas?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm on the same boat as Unimportant -- really really up for this, it sounds amazing, but over-committed at the moment.
I'm posting so I can keep an eye on this thread and I'll reply as soon as I'm free. :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting the message that the book sounds fun, but the timing does not. Ha! No problem. I wrote the first draft around 2011-12, so waiting another month or two is no big deal. Just send me your email addresses when you're ready.

neurotype and Fallen, you have PMs!

tinyCirrusCloud

I'm not crazy, I promise.
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like it is right up my alley. If you're still searching for betas, I'd love to take a look. I already have a couple of betas lined up right now and some pesky Real Life Things to worry about, so I might be a bit slow at first, but my schedule will clear up at the end of the month.

hummingbird*

Registered
Reaction score
Good teaser. :) I'd be happy to beta for you and have availability now. I'll PM you my email and other info, if you still need readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.