Wonder Woman

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In the alley, there were only a few shooters. It's not that they were bad shots, but that she was incredibly good at moving to defend herself and Steve. Bad guys who can't aim, miss the target. These would have hit the target, except that she was faster than a bullet.

In No Man's Land she's facing machine guns, sending out a barrage of bullets at a time. She knows she can't move fast enough to defend herself from that many bullets at once, thus shield.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Just came across the following article in The Hollywood Reporter, titled "Why Patty Jenkins' 'Wonder Woman' Success Shouldn't Be Surprising." This especially resonated with me:

Jenkins also adroitly bonds the audience to her protagonists by making sure we understand where they came from. Much of Wonder Woman is dedicated to Diana’s origin story, so that by the time she’s striding alone into battle in No Man’s Land, we feel like we’ve grown up with her.

Exactly. She wasn't Wonder Woman, or just that. She was also Diana, someone I knew. A kid as much as a woman. Someone I cared about.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...s-shouldnt-be-surprising-guest-column-1012050

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Interesting. That's one of the places I thought they could have spent more time on. There had to have been much more subterfuge and sneaking around for Antiope and Diana. I almost felt like it was kind of hand-waved away. Then again, while I grew up crushing on Linda Carter, I didn't pay much attention to the background story.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
WW's box office dropped just 39% on its 4[SUP]th[/SUP] week, more evidence that it has long legs.

Another part of the movie I liked was how Steve Trevor was portrayed. He was courageous and competent, but even more his self-worth wasn't lessened by knowing a woman who was supercompetent in some areas.

Last edited:

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
WW's box office dropped just 39% on its 4[SUP]th[/SUP] week, more evidence that it has long legs.

Another part of the movie I liked was how Steve Trevor was portrayed. He was courageous and competent, but even more his self-worth wasn't lessened by knowing a woman who was supercompetent in some areas.

oh man, he was great! they were really sweet together his death was sad, but was great symbolically. a human died to teach her of humanity

Last edited:

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de

Yes! This always gets me when I see it in movies or shows. Used to be, women only got to lead because most of their supporting cast were dummies (or secretly the heroes, even worse). But taking second lead isn't a weakness, it's a strength. One that we guys aren't really that accustomed to and need to see more of.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! This always gets me when I see it in movies or shows. Used to be, women only got to lead because most of their supporting cast were dummies (or secretly the heroes, even worse). But taking second lead isn't a weakness, it's a strength. One that we guys aren't really that accustomed to and need to see more of.

This is one thing I liked about the foxhole scene vs. the old men discussing the battle scene.

There was no gasping at Diana's presence or the way she was dressed. It was a bunch of battle-weary guys who'd been pinned down for over a year. They saw someone making headway and they ran for the opening. Who cares if it's a woman dressed in what wouldn't even be considered underwear for that time period? She's drawing fire for us - GO!

The men at headquarters with their cigars might hem and haw and make sour faces about the female in their presence, or doubt her contribution even when she's able to read what they can't, but the men getting shot at couldn't care less. She's deflecting bullets. She's giving them a shot at advancing. That's all that mattered, and thankfully, no one inserted a moment where one of them felt compelled to give her their coat to cover-up and be "appropriate."

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org

I think I get what you are saying.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
At the end of the movie Diana is back in England. What will she do there? Where will she go next? The comics have rewritten her story so many times that just about anything is possible. What do you think?

Here are some possibilities I came up with.

She stays for a time in London, maybe with Etta Candy, Steve Trevor's secretary. Candy has been rewritten several times, making her more or less powerful and smart. In the movie she's just a secretary and sort of general manager of Steve's affairs. Steve is an American. Maybe has some trust fund or other money which makes that (maybe) more than a part-time job. She's put in charge of organizing the mission to the front that Diana and Steve go on. My guess is that Candy thus gets a start in some kind of secret agent job, maybe with MI6, maybe independently. So Candy can support Diana until she gets over the trauma of the war, gets a job herself, acclimates to Man's World, and makes some sort of life for herself.

Diana knows dozens of languages, some of them dead ones or at least obscure. So she could get a job as a translator, maybe for the government or a university. My best guess is the Louvre Museum, where's she's seen in the beginning of the movie. When she gets back on her feet she moves out to her own place, maybe near to her friend Candy. Eventually she gets restless, wants to see more of the world, sees problems she wants to get involved in. There were plenty in the years following the war. Maybe too many. In confusion and disgust maybe she just wants out, says a sad goodbye to Candy, and immigrates to America. There she visits Steve Trevor's family and shares with them some of her experiences with him.

Thanks to her Louvre connection, she gets a job there in a similar capacity. My favorite is New York's American Museum of Natural History, featured in the three Night at the Museum movies. It's across the street from Central Park, and two miles from Columbia University and Barnard College, which is co-located but was still separate from Columbia in Diana's time. It would be natural for Diana to enroll in courses there, or at least attend seminars. She couldn't help attracting a diverse entourage, including some non-students from nearby Harlem. The music from there and from Spanish Harlem would have attracted her and some of her entourage. She might have become a flapper, though viewing the role and life style with much amusement, given her alien origin and powers. Inevitably, she'd see injustices and fight them.

Wow! Lots of possibilities I couldn't help exploring in more detail than I'd intended. But there are so many more. What's your take?

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Diana knows dozens of languages, some of them dead ones or at least obscure. So she could get a job as a translator, maybe for the government or a university. My best guess is the Louvre Museum, where's she's seen in the beginning of the movie. When she gets back on her feet she moves out to her own place, maybe near to her friend Candy. Eventually she gets restless, wants to see more of the world, sees problems she wants to get involved in. There were plenty in the years following the war. Maybe too many. In confusion and disgust maybe she just wants out, says a sad goodbye to Candy, and immigrates to America. There she visits Steve Trevor's family and shares with them some of her experiences with him.
Wow! Lots of possibilities I couldn't help exploring in more detail than I'd intended. But there are so many more. What's your take?

Considering the Greek gods exist(ed) in her universe and the WW1 setting, I love the idea of Diana going up against Cthulhu and the other Great Old Ones. If anyone can stay sane, she can.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Fun fact!

In the DCU, the Thanagarians - the hawlike aliens whose numbers include Hawkgirl and Hawkman - created Nth metal, a special metal designed to fight their evil godlike rulers, The GREAT OLD ONES also known as...

IXTHULU!

*coughs* they...they weren't trying very hard to disguise their inspiration.

Last edited:

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
At the end of the movie Diana is back in England. What will she do there? Where will she go next? The comics have rewritten her story so many times that just about anything is possible. What do you think?

Here are some possibilities I came up with.

She stays for a time in London, maybe with Etta Candy, Steve Trevor's secretary. Candy has been rewritten several times, making her more or less powerful and smart. In the movie she's just a secretary and sort of general manager of Steve's affairs. Steve is an American. Maybe has some trust fund or other money which makes that (maybe) more than a part-time job. She's put in charge of organizing the mission to the front that Diana and Steve go on. My guess is that Candy thus gets a start in some kind of secret agent job, maybe with MI6, maybe independently. So Candy can support Diana until she gets over the trauma of the war, gets a job herself, acclimates to Man's World, and makes some sort of life for herself.

Thanks to her Louvre connection, she gets a job there in a similar capacity. My favorite is New York's American Museum of Natural History, featured in the three Night at the Museum movies. It's across the street from Central Park, and two miles from Columbia University and Barnard College, which is co-located but was still separate from Columbia in Diana's time. It would be natural for Diana to enroll in courses there, or at least attend seminars. She couldn't help attracting a diverse entourage, including some non-students from nearby Harlem. The music from there and from Spanish Harlem would have attracted her and some of her entourage. She might have become a flapper, though viewing the role and life style with much amusement, given her alien origin and powers. Inevitably, she'd see injustices and fight them.

There was that e-mail Bruce Wayne at the end.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com

Twick

Registered
Reaction score

I think that the casting was brilliant here. Chris Pine pulled off someone who was strong in his own right, not a male version of a damsel in distress, and had enough brains to realize that following Diana's lead helped him achieve his goals. He was attracted to her, but not to the extent of forgetting he was a warrior as well, and people's lives were depending on him.

It's odd in a way that the two recent movies that best showed men and women acting as comrades, not competitors, was this and Winter Soldier. Perhaps we have a lot to learn from comic books.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Hidden Figures is technically a 2016 movie, which is why it figured (ha!) at this year's Oscars.