Wonder Woman

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Everyone is going to have different likes and dislikes. For me I loved the third act, am quite happy for it to be effects heavy. The CGI was well-done to my taste. More, it showed Diana evolving into a demi-goddess, a superhuman, who in later years could face off against Superman pretty much on an equal basis. It wouldn't have worked for me, however, if the first parts of the movie hadn't shown Diana growing as a person. She was still human as well as a superhuman.

I saw it twice and have pre-ordered the Blu-ray disc.

The first time was Thursday night in a regular theater because I'm leery of 3D. The house was full but with stadium seating and a considerate audience, so the crowding wasn't a problem.

The second time was Tuesday morning in a 3D theater. If the 3D wasn't to my taste, I was willing to walk out and write off the premium price as the cost of a learning experience. However, the 3D was neither overdone nor underused, and I quickly forgot the effect and again became immersed in the story. (I do recommend seeing any 3D movie on an IMAX screen as I did, because IMAX is bright enough to counteract the darkness 3D tends to give to images.)

Now I'm curious to see what threats Diana is going to have to deal with in the sequel. I can't see that another world war movie would work very well.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
...to be fair, he didn't in the movie either. (He punches an actor wearing a Hitler costume in a USO show.)

Well, I was thinking more of the comics. Both Wonder Woman and Captain America fought a *lot* of Nazis and did things that weren't a reflection of our history in the early comics. Because, yanno, they exist in a different version of Earth. (Well, two separate versions of not-our-Earth, since they are from different universes/publishers.) But, my recollection is, that used to be a pretty common thing with the early comic books is that they would reference stuff that seemed like it was so very similar to our world, except the superhero would be there making things right.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Wonder Woman and loved it. DC actually managed to get it right with their movies this time. Who's going to see the Justice League?

I am! I'm really excited to see Cyborg. I loved him in Teen Titans. of course, he's probably going to nothing like the version I know

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Saw Wonder Woman and loved it. DC actually managed to get it right with their movies this time. Who's going to see the Justice League?

Not I.

DC is not a monolith, and the people who made Wonder Woman are not the same as the people who are making Justice League.

The people making Justice League are the ones responsible for the execrable Superman and the awful Batman who will be characters in the film. They have histories of superhero group movies that sideline and objectify female characters (Hello, Black Widow. Hello, my daughter yelling in frustration "Give the spear to Wonder Woman! She's right there!").

It may turn out well anyway. In that case I will probably take a look. But I'm not all eager to see it just because Wonder Woman will be present.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Wonder Woman is the first superhero film I've seen in the theater since Batman Begins. I don't have a lot of interest in the rest of them. (Although I have caught a few on TV or via Netflix.) And it's not because I dislike action scenes or superheros, but watching female characters sidelined will ruin a film for me. Every. Fucking. Time.

Rumor is they might redo some of Justice League to increase Wonder Woman's role now that her solo film is such a hit, but that may not be enough to make up for the trailer which shows her falling on her ass and being rescued by Batman.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I am very interested in seeing Wonder Woman. I have as much interest in seeing Justice League as I have in seeing Captain Underpants and that's no interest at all.

When we only getting one or two superhero movies a year it was easy to choose which one was worth purchasing a ticket for and which was worth passing on. In 2017, we have Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, The Lego Batman Movie, Justice League and oh yeah, Captain Underpants.

I'm a fan of superhero movies, but I'm not an addict. Wonder Woman looked great. Justice League doesn't. You gotta pick what looks like a real winner and what smells like a sure loser.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Not I.

DC is not a monolith, and the people who made Wonder Woman are not the same as the people who are making Justice League.

Well, that's not really true. DC is a monolith and there's a huge crossover of people involved in Justice League who also made Wonder Woman. The biggest WW influencer who is not involved in JL is Patty Jenkins, and she's said she was given a lot of autonomy to make this film. I believe she's a huge part of this film's success but to ignore the crossover in producers and screenwriters isn't realistic.

But even JL is slowly breaking away from MoS and BvS. With Joss Whedon taking over post production and (scheduled, normal) reshoots for Zack Snyder, there are changes in the works for this entire franchise. It doesn't mean we're getting a different JL movie than what Zack made but we're slowly getting new people (like Patty Jenkins) putting their stamp on Zack's vision for the franchise.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still going to wait for the reviews of JL, all things considered.

I do appreciate that they got around a lot of the Aquaman "hate" by casting Jason Momoa. Definite appeal to female-gaze. (Even though not every woman finds him attractive, obviously.)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still going to wait for the reviews of JL, all things considered.

All things considered, didn't you say the same thing about Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Just Awful? :e2tomato: How'd that work out for ya?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I do appreciate that they got around a lot of the Aquaman "hate" by casting Jason Momoa. Definite appeal to female-gaze. (Even though not every woman finds him attractive, obviously.)

I am officially sick of people making fun of Aquaman. The dude controls most of the planet, is super-strong, and has kraken at his disposal. I've said this before, but I will say it again!

All things considered, didn't you say the same thing about Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Just Awful? :e2tomato: How'd that work out for ya?

Quite well - every critic I saw savaged the movie with vicious talons of word-hate. I avoided it and have never been happier!

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry sub-mariner is way coolrer

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
I am officially sick of people making fun of Aquaman. The dude controls most of the planet, is super-strong, and has kraken at his disposal. I've said this before, but I will say it again!

Haha. I'm not familiar enough with the character to say. I just know he's a common target to make fun of. And when they were first starting to talk about Justice League I was talking another author and he was like "Well, it'll have Aquaman. I don't know about that. He's not really a favorite character for a lot of folks." And I said, "But he's being played by Jason Momoa." And his eyes got really big and he was like "Oh, wow. That's smart."

(Interesting too, because I had not too long before read an article that talked about male vs female gaze in comics that argued that Aquaman has always been more female gaze oriented.)

I'll also add that even folks I know who really disliked BvS said the "directors cut/extended edition" was actually much better because there were a number of sequences that had been edited for the theater in such a way it left out key details. (Like "How did that character get from here to there?" or "Why didn't he stop that thing?") It didn't make up for the new slant on the characters, but it made the movie plot more cohesive. So... egh. Directors/screenwriters really need to learn how to write and direct something at feature length (120 minutes) or fight to have all of it put in theaters because they keep shooting too long and then presenting truncated versions that don't hold up.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

You can keep saying it, but Aquaman won't stop being lame and no matter how hard DC tries to turn him into a bad ass, he's still the only Super Friend who was more useless than Gleek.

Henry Cavill looks something like Superman. Ben Affleck looks something like Batman. Gal Gadot looks something like Wonder Woman, but Jason Momoa looks nothing like Aquaman.

That is not an accident.

Zoombie said:
Quite well - every critic I saw savaged the movie with vicious talons of word-hate. I avoided it and have never been happier!

I can dig it. During a free HBO preview, I watched some of Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor/Evil Mark Zuckerberg shtick and I said, "Check, please."

Granny's Peach Tea, my ass. :e2moon:

I heard that Aquaman can't act.

As long as he can swim, take off his shirt, flex his pecs, and talk to his finny friends, it won't matter. :e2shrug:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Whenever I think of Aquaman, it's the one from the Justice League cartoons who cut off his own hand to save his son.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
You can keep saying it, but Aquaman won't stop being lame and no matter how hard DC tries to turn him into a bad ass, he's still the only Super Friend who was more useless than Gleek.

Henry Cavill looks something like Superman. Ben Affleck looks something like Batman. Gal Gadot looks something like Wonder Woman, but Jason Momoa looks nothing like Aquaman.

That is not an accident.

I dunno, I'd argue Cavil stopped looking like Superman when he snapped Zod's neck and didn't give a shit about collateral damage and comitted genocide, all within the same 20 minutes.

And if that doesn't really underline one of the main reasons why WW succeeded, nothing else would.

For all of my problems, I will say that they at least got the BASIC FUNDAMENTAL ASPECTS of Dianna's character down.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
The more superhero movies come out the more selective we get, or at least me. I've no interest in seeing the coming Avengers duology, for instance. JL, only slightly; will wait for the cheap DVD from RedBox. (I will NOT listen to critics as some say they do. I care what I think, not what someone else does.)

WW 2, def looking forward to it.