Is there any site where I can use one word substitution?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with your English from the posts I've read. A Thesaurus might help but sometimes two words can create a better image. Can you give some examples. Is it related to the use of nouns or verbs?

In your post you mention 'a couple of' words- you could have said 'two' words, but that's not an error at all.

You said 'to find' - and you could have said 'finding'. Again- no real problem there.

Experience is as good a guide as any.

I think you may be fretting unduly. :Hug2:

Last edited:

theunderdogwriter

Registered
Reaction score
But sometimes I write words which might not be best suited to describe what I want to convey. Like while writing fighting scenes, I face dificulty to tell about how he dodged or swayed his sword. How can I learn to write the correct word to suit the given action?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading how others have done it, and experience, I'm afraid.

Or a language dictionary if you know the word in your native tongue.

But sometimes I write words which might not be best suited to describe what I want to convey. Like while writing fighting scenes, I face dificulty to tell about how he dodged or swayed his sword. How can I learn to write the correct word to suit the given action?

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
If the couple of words are also in English, you might google "synonyms for 'whatever words'". Make sure the phrase you want to replace is in quotation marks. That's often worked for me.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
In your position I wouldn't look for alternatives. Instead, I'd use the simplest, most straightforward words possible. Often, simple is best.

Altiv

Chasing the dragon...
Registered
Reaction score
English isn't my first language, too, so sometimes I also find myself looking for a word that exists in Spanish (my mother tongue) but that I don't know in English (funnily enough, it's usually the other way around). What I think has helped me a lot is reading (and in your particular case, reading a lot of fighting scenes) and using a thesaurus to look up any words I don't know the meaning of. But if you are looking for a website, I can recommend you wordreference.com it's an online dictionary/translator that also features a forum where non-natives ask natives for specific words. The people there usually offer many options for any given word and also different ways to phrase ideas and you can ask them in your native tongue.

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
Use some caution when using a thesaurus. After finding a word there, I always look it up in the dictionary to make sure its meaning is the meaning I want to convey. There can be subtle differences in the meanings of words listed together in a thesaurus.

shizu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for, but there is a reverse-lookup website for those moments where you can't put your finger on the word you want, even though you know what you mean.

It's slightly different to a thesaurus in that you can put in more descriptive phrases, so maybe in the case of your fighting scenes you could look up "swing a sword" and it'll give you examples of words that could mean that action. You can sort the results by verb/noun/adjective etc., and you can look up the context of the word (with definitions and examples) to make sure -- as others have said -- you're using it correctly.

Echoing the advice that reading widely and seeing how other writers make their word/phrase choices is a great idea too!

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
I have similar problems with nuance of definition when writing in or translating from Dutch. One of my go-to tools is Context Reverso, which uses a body of translated sentences to provide a better view of the shades of meaning that words have. Some of the translations are terrible, but overall, I find that it gives me more nuanced meanings for words and phrases than a dictionary. (It's particularly useful for figures of speech.)