The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Novellas?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin pschmehl's Avatar

Novellas?

I didn't see a section for novellas. Apparently they are the black sheep of the publishing industry. Unfortunately, that's what I've written (22,978 words), so I'm having a hard time getting any agent interest.

Am I in the right place? Is there another place specifically for novellas?
    Retired
    Writing Christian fiction for those who are searching
    http://www.paullawrencebooks.com
    @paullawrencebooks
    My first book is out - Prayers Were No Help and on Amazon.

Sterkte en een dikker knuffel AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Novellas are a form of short fiction, so you are in the right place. And though I don't know what genre you write in, novellas are having a bit of a renaissance in SF/F. Do not despair!
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    Number Thirty-Nine Skink, short story, Asimov's, Mar/Apr 2017
    Pinned, Poem, Asimov's, May/Jun 2017
    Winner of the AnLab Reader's Award for Best Novelette of 2016, and the Asimov's Reader's Award for Best Novella of 2016.
    Nominated for the Eugie Foster Memorial Award

"Nolite te bastardes covfefendum" -- Anon.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Alternatively novellas function as short novels, in the genre rooms. Most of my works are novellas but the issues are mostly the same as for novels.
    Emily Veinglory

I would say most novellas are going the self publishing ebook route these days. Agents and publishers seem to prefer novels, specifically in the 60-80 word range.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Most of mine were non-self-published ebooks when they debuted. I wrote novellas because it was the most efficient way to turn words into money in my genre. The highest $ per word being in the 30-40k range.
    Emily Veinglory

The force is strong in this one. williemeikle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DamienLoveshaft View Post
    I would say most novellas are going the self publishing ebook route these days. Agents and publishers seem to prefer novels, specifically in the 60-80 word range.
    I've sold 11 in genre presses for print and ebook, 5 of them in hardcover in the past couple of years, and been paid pretty well for them too, so it's not all self-publishing / ebook

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    I agree that agents usually don't have a lot of interest in repping just a novella. But there are small presses that take them so it's not impossible for them to see the light of day even if you don't want to self-publish.
    _________
    A.G.C.

OF LIPS AND TONGUE
    "Don't pick it up if you have important things to do today."
    "...the story itself is a masterpiece of horror, paranoia, love, and introduces a startling heroine that people should flock to."
    "If you like dark, unsettling, gorgeous Southern Gothic books with a taste of Southern Fried X-Files, this novella might be your cuppa."
    OF SHADE AND SOUL: Available now!

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

Undistractable (on deadline) mccardey's Avatar
    Agents and publishers seem to prefer novels, specifically in the 60-80 word range.
    If wishing made it so...

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still on the fence about self publishing, but I'm trying to learn as much as fast as I can. My first book is less than 23,000 words, so it doesn't even quailfy for a novella at some of the publishers that accept novellas.

The problem is, the story is done. I don't want to add fluff just to meet a word count quota. My second book, which I'm now working on, is probably going to be in the 30-40K range, so I may have more luck getting an agent for that.
    Retired
    @paullawrencebooks

Sterkte en een dikker knuffel AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    All my novellas have been professionally published at pro rates.

As I said above, it varies widely by genre. Blanket statements about publishing that don't take that into account, no matter how helpfully intended, are rarely meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by pschmehl View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm still on the fence about self publishing, but I'm trying to learn as much as fast as I can. My first book is less than 23,000 words, so it doesn't even quailfy for a novella at some of the publishers that accept novellas.

The problem is, the story is done. I don't want to add fluff just to meet a word count quota. My second book, which I'm now working on, is probably going to be in the 30-40K range, so I may have more luck getting an agent for that.
    You may find it more useful to start a discussion in the room for your genre (I'm guessing Christian from your sig, but I know most of us hop genres now and then so I don't want to assume) to get more specific info about novella prospects, as people there will be a lot more familiar with those markets and can share their experiences more directly. You may also find it worthwhile to get feedback from a beta reader, if you haven't already, who could tell you where your 23k one could be expanded without just adding fluff. Or they could tell you your instincts are right and keep it just as is. Either way, the additional perspective can be nice to have.
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    Number Thirty-Nine Skink, short story, Asimov's, Mar/Apr 2017
    Pinned, Poem, Asimov's, May/Jun 2017
    Winner of the AnLab Reader's Award for Best Novelette of 2016, and the Asimov's Reader's Award for Best Novella of 2016.
    Nominated for the Eugie Foster Memorial Award

"Nolite te bastardes covfefendum" -- Anon.

Thank you, sanzjan. I will check out both of those avenues. I was not aware there were beta readers that might give advice.
    Retired
    @paullawrencebooks

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    Most of mine were non-self-published ebooks when they debuted. I wrote novellas because it was the most efficient way to turn words into money in my genre. The highest $ per word being in the 30-40k range.
    I didn't know that. interesting!