So he's gone and done it: Trump pulls US from Paris Accord

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
My son (14) has been designing green energy engines in his spare time. Now, the fact is, he needs to understand far more about thermodynamics before any of his plans are going to be at all useful, but engineering new energy solutions and cleaner-operating generators and engines is his passion.

He asked last night if we could move to France RIGHT NOW because America doesn't want him. That's what he hears from our President. If you don't fit his vision, America doesn't want you.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My son (14) has been designing green energy engines in his spare time. Now, the fact is, he needs to understand far more about thermodynamics before any of his plans are going to be at all useful, but engineering new energy solutions and cleaner-operating generators and engines is his passion.

He asked last night if we could move to France RIGHT NOW because America doesn't want him. That's what he hears from our President. If you don't fit his vision, America doesn't want you.

Trump has no interest, for the moment Trump has any idea about any of this -- fun fact, he apparently called a FOX News anchor to ask her opinion about the Paris Accord before deciding what to do yesterday -- but America, you might remind him, voted firmly for the person in favour of progressive energy solutions.

America's population is largely in the cities whose mayors are signing up to uphold the Accord's promises. Governours as well, btw -- NY's Gov. Cuomo said this and had NY monuments lit up green last night to symbolize it -

World: the Empire State stands with you. New York shines green for our planet, our health and our children's future.

Apparently now 30 states and two dozen large companies are on board as picking up the promises of the Accord. He's wanted and needed.

Thirty states and scores of companies said Thursday that they would press ahead with their climate policies and pursue lower greenhouse gas emissions, breaking sharply with President Trump’s decision to exit the historic Paris climate accord.

In a pointed rebuttal to Trump’s announcement in the rose garden of the White House, New York’s governor Andrew M. Cuomo unveiled a plan to invest $1.65 billion in renewable energy and energy efficiency on Thursday, the largest ever procurement of renewable energy by an American state.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Apologies if someone's already posted this, but The Weather Channel's ticker was priceless after his announcement.

weather-channel-homepage.jpg

You know you're doing something wrong when the bloody Weather Channel starts trolling you!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know you're doing something wrong when the bloody Weather Channel starts trolling you!

Wow, those headlines. I'm loling at the trolling, but also going ARGH because ... argh!

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Wow, those headlines. I'm loling at the trolling, but also going ARGH because ... argh!

I'm right there with ya.

It's heartening to see so many US mayors/governors/companies standing up, though.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

He hears accurately, I fear. 45 is mostly a mouthpiece for the TeaOP (they stopped being Republicans or a "Grand" Old Party when they let the extremists hijack the party, IMHO), with all the attendant greed and intolerance. Which especially sucks as the majority of us are NOT okay with it (as many of us expressed at the voting booth, little as that matters anymore), but they've seized sufficient power and wield sufficient influence to distort the nation's future, and they've made their vision quite clear: regressive policies and social structure all the way, future be damned. He might well want to consider international college, if feasible at that point. (Has he looked into Canada?)

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
45 is mostly a mouthpiece for the TeaOP
Trump is the Founder, Leader, President, CEO, and Head Honcho of the Trump Party(tm). His political views can be summed up in three words: me, myself, and I.

-cb

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump has no interest, for the moment Trump has any idea about any of this -- fun fact, he apparently called a FOX News anchor to ask her opinion about the Paris Accord before deciding what to do yesterday -- but America, you might remind him, voted firmly for the person in favour of progressive energy solutions.

America's population is largely in the cities whose mayors are signing up to uphold the Accord's promises. Governours as well, btw -- NY's Gov. Cuomo said this and had NY monuments lit up green last night to symbolize it -

Apparently now 30 states and two dozen large companies are on board as picking up the promises of the Accord. He's wanted and needed.
Buildings light up green in solidarity with Paris climate accord
Buildings in the US and in other countries lit up bright green Thursday night in support of the Paris climate accord.

I predict the asshole will soon be claiming credit for motivating countries to step up, falsely claiming, based on his alt-fact studies, that only the US would have lived up to the Accord if he hadn't acted. :rant:

CNN and MSNBC are fact checking the speech and reporting on the world and local leaders' reaction. Fox pundits were whining about the hypocrites that fly around in jets telling poor people to buy expensive light bulbs. My LED lightbulbs were as cheap as incandescent and my biggest problem now is what to do with the extra florescent bulbs in the drawer that I bought because there was a great deal on a case of them.

Next time I channel surfed to Fox they were berating Clinton who gave a talk on the 31st, claiming the Democrats wished she would go away, we don't. Unbelievably, one of the women pundits actually said, "that tunic". And you wonder why we have a lunatic running the asylum.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Trump is the Founder, Leader, President, CEO, and Head Honcho of the Trump Party(tm). His political views can be summed up in three words: me, myself, and I.

-cb

Very true on his personal views, but those didn't get him into that office, and aren't keeping him there. As I see it, he was put there by the Republicans as puppet and distraction, and they're heavily involved in pulling his strings - and, since he is all about "me, myself, and I", he doesn't know or care so long as he gets the spotlight and the attention, not to mention a cut of the profits. So his announcements and executive orders and such are most definitely furthering the TeaOP agenda; this decision not only furthers the war on science that's been fundamental to the fundamentalists on the right (and the oil men they're so fond of), but it goes toward the isolation of our country - "America First" as "America Alone - And Keep Yer Foreign Ideas and International Cooperation Off Our Land!"

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
What a difference four years makes. From the L.A. Times today:

When Gov. Jerry Brown flew across the Pacific four years ago to meet with leaders and business executives in China, the world seemed much different. President Obama had committed to fight the warming of the planet, while China remained a reluctant actor yet to take a firm stand. On Friday, when the seasoned California governor heads back to China for a series of business and government meetings, the political roles will have reversed.

Now, it's China that is poised for global leadership. And as President Trump retreats from the nation's previous path on environmental policy, Brown has the distinction of being America's unofficial ambassador on climate change.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-jerry-brown-china-trip-20170601-story.html

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Michael Bloomberg antes up and pledges to stand in the U.S. gap to the tune of 15 million dollars.

You know, my perspective's likely skewed after the recent budget stuff throwing around huge numbers in the billions (not to mention me being a general idiot), but 15 million seems pretty cheap as international commitments go. That's it? That's all the US was expected to contribute financially? Barely a drop in the bucket, it seems...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm right there with ya.

It's heartening to see so many US mayors/governors/companies standing up, though.
Lenore Taylor has a good article on this in Guardian Australia.
[FONT=&quot]To make the ridiculous case that abandoning Paris was good for the US economy, Trump didn’t just have to ignore science, but also the pleading of the US business community he was purporting to defend – [/FONT]the 630 business leaders who wrote to him in January demanding that he keep Barack Obama’s climate plan and stick with the Paris deal[FONT=&quot], and the [/FONT]long list of businesses and business leaders[FONT=&quot] who have attacked his decision, including the chief executives of Tesla, Goldman Sachs and Disney and companies including Nike, BP, IBM, Apple, Google, Twitter, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, Adobe, Morgan Stanley, Unilever and Mars.[/FONT]

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apologies if someone's already posted this, but The Weather Channel's ticker was priceless after his announcement.

weather-channel-homepage.jpg

In his tireless quest to purge the plant of every last remnant of the Obama Years, President Smilin' Steve Bannon yanks the U.S.A. out of an international accord even the Democratic Republic of Korea signed. Yes, even crazypants Kim Jong-un gives at least one shit about breathing air you can't see than Bannon and his orange-haired sock puppet.

Welcome to the cursed Earth
. :evil

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Add Ben and Jerry's to the list of those trolling Trump

Link

AW Admin

Administrator