Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last week was fairly busy - I ended up having to go on in one of the ensemble roles I understudy, with less than 45 minutes notice. Whenever I go on, it gives me an adrenaline "high" that lasts several hours after the curtain's come down - which translates to not sleeping. My sleep patterns were already screwy enough due to a late-night train trip home to DC, then a train back to NYC which got in late and caused me to really have to scramble to get my stuff moved out of my friend's apartment and back to my sublet. I'm settled back in now (and actually slept until nearly 11 this morning), so I think my internal clock is back to normal.

Input on Book #4 from all three betas is in and incorporated where appropriate, so that's done. I finished Raising Steam as well as another book (Erik Larson's Thunderstruck) and started a new one (Atomic Accidents, A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters). Did no writing, and am still on the fence about whether to participate in the July Camp. As far as my social media push for the release of Book #1, I started creating some graphics to drop into my feeds on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram on a once-a-week basis (one is posted below if you're curious). Still waiting to hear from the publisher regarding the pre-sale date for KINGLET, which will coincide with the release of its book trailer. Also still waiting for said publisher and my agent to wind up negotiations for Book #3. Book #2 comes out in early November, and the plan is for subsequent books to release every three to four months after that. It hit me this past week that if all goes as planned, the entire series will be available for purchase by winter of next year. This is a series that I started writing in fall 2009. My mind is slightly blown over the fact that nearly ten years of work can be on the shelves in a little more than a single year.

1. Incorporate beta feedback for Book #4 as needed - 3 out of 3 DONE
2. Explore NYC with at least two more jaunts to places I've never been
3. Read five books - 4 of 5
4. Finish reading "My Writing Day" essays from The Guardian series - DONE
5. Get at least 10k words written on rough draft of Book #5 - currently 1,511
6. Decide whether to participate in July Camp NaNo
7. Start planning my social media push for the release of Book #1 in August -
in progress

2b9c125c-be88-47cc-860e-630f7f498205.jpg

Last edited:

SKStark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skstark.com
Okay, not to be spammy, but I made a Camp Cabin and a thread in this forum for anyone who wants to join me! Reppies if you're interested! :D

I am signed up for Camp but don't yet have a cabin. I'd like to join!

Not going to lie, I'm feeling somewhat intimidated by the whole camp/cabin thing and have no idea what to expect or do, other than try to write somewhat fast to meet a goal. I'm hoping it's more than that though, because I can write somewhat fast on my own. What I'd like it to try and improve on the "write GOOD" part. :)

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
This is a series that I started writing in fall 2009. My mind is slightly blown over the fact that nearly ten years of work can be on the shelves in a little more than a single year.
This is awesome. Congratulations. You've definitely earned some reps ;)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Writing
[6k] Write 10k of new WIP.
[3k] Write 10k of m/m project revision.
[10k] 30k total wordage.

Reading
[ ] Beta-read one book.
[x] Read three books.

Health
[x] Weigh-in at 145lbs.
[x] Hit -55lbs lost.

TV
[x] Catch-up with Steven Universe
[ ] Catch-up with Sense8
[x] Watch OITNB.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
EMaree, you are killing those goals (congratulations especially on the weight loss - jealous as I've got a few excess pounds I'd like to shed myself)!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is awesome. Congratulations. You've definitely earned some reps ;)

Thanks. It just doesn't seem possible (and if I don't get cracking on Book 5, it won't be :greenie ).

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I am not doing a good job this month :tongue

[ ] Clean my office.
[ ] Make some webpage updates.
[ ] Finish short story.
[x] Pick July Camp NaNo Project.

Constant Goals:
[ ] Changing sleep cycle.
[24] Write 1K words a day (for 52 weeks).

SKStark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skstark.com
I'm in the same boat, bdwilson. This month is proving very difficult to stay on top of for me, too.

My job is currently trying to crush me slowly under an ever-growing pile of ridiculously complicated projects for clients whom I can't even be cathartically annoyed with because they're so dang nice.

My progress:
1. One blog post per week (4 total)
So far . . . still 2 (I haven't done one this week yet)
2. Write 17K words on my current WIP (this is a weird number, but many maths went into it)
So far . . . 10,800 (And about 1K of that is a rewrite because I got completely lost at my second plot point)
3. Finish reading Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
So far . . . I've read another 1/2 a chapter. On the plus side, though, I've nearly finished The Protector's War . . .
4. Start reading Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress once I finish #3
Don't see this happening. Sigh.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Last night I wrote a sort of vague outline/synopsis for two projects that have been paused for the past several years. I was surprised to find that in the intervening time I'd figured out a lot more of the plot than I thought. One of them is only missing an ending and just after finishing the other I finally spotted the gaping hole in the plot. It turned out to be my biggest weakness: I had no answer to the question "Why this character?"

So now if I can't figure out how to get myself unstuck in the current project before July 1, at least I could probably switch to one of these two for Camp NaNo and get some writing done. Progress on something else is better than doing nothing at all, right?

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
Curious about July Camp, but I'll be off to London, at Wimbledon and watching the tennis, doing corrective pilates and travelling, so no regular access to a computer for two months. I don't lug my laptop all over the galaxy.

Alpha crit beginning of novel for my beta
-done.

Submit query letter to Beta Project 2017
-done today.

Submit it to query letter hell
-working up the guts. I had never subbed anything to AW before, so I expect to be slaughtered.

Correct exams-sigh. Just started.

Put up grades-already students are so screwed because of the bell-curve system. One student is getting a C+ when she ought to be getting a B+. Not happy!

Deal with complaining students-pending. What a nightmare that will be.

Pack for London-pending.

Obtain betas for LEGION-one down, two to go.

Crit stuff on here-yep, some.

Cut down a bunch of words from the 1979-80 historical, which may of may not be YA. Change title from 'D-Grade Person' to 'Defective', perhaps.
Not doing so well-I keep thinking up subplots, now it's at 93k! A YA is supposed to be about 80k, yeah? Thing is, it's got important adult characters, such as gangsters, ex-CIA agents, and her parents. Yeah, I need a beta for this one, too.

Drum up enthusiasm for writing a fantasy set thousands of years into the future on a one-time colony world. A king purges the planet so he can annex it in order to prepare for the invasion of the sky people (Earthlings), who would bring with them pestilence (don't all colonists?) and dragons. Thing is, it's not so much about war and court intrigue, it's a family drama set in the small town from whence he came (he's monarch of a foreign kingdom he had left town for when he was fifteen).

Haha, writing that down might help come query time. :D

Finish my Federer drawing. :D

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, folks. We're in the mid-month crush when it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Do what you can do and remember: it's summertime! Enjoy it while you can.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I'm in the same boat, bdwilson. This month is proving very difficult to stay on top of for me, too.

My job is currently trying to crush me slowly under an ever-growing pile of ridiculously complicated projects for clients whom I can't even be cathartically annoyed with because they're so dang nice.

*LOL* That's always more difficult. Hopefully things clear up soon :)

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
A somewhat late check-in, though most of my progress was derailed due to unforeseen life events:

1. [5k] Write 15k more in book #2
2. [done, plus 1.5k written] Complete the full outline for my newest plot bunny, a dark fantasy novel

Doubtful that I will get another 10k written before July, but I did finish two chapters and got them sent out to my alpha readers, so that's something positive at least. :) Good luck in the last 10 days, everyone!

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
A somewhat late check-in, though most of my progress was derailed due to unforeseen life events:

1. [5k] Write 15k more in book #2
2. [done, plus 1.5k written] Complete the full outline for my newest plot bunny, a dark fantasy novel

Doubtful that I will get another 10k written before July, but I did finish two chapters and got them sent out to my alpha readers, so that's something positive at least. :) Good luck in the last 10 days, everyone!

Hope the life events aren't too serious.

Won't be subbing to QLH for LEGION. My beta got back to me, and she was excellent and tore my MS to pieces. I shall either rewrite it from scratch or trash it.

Maybe I'll need alpha readers for D-Grade Person instead of betas, since it's still a WIP.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep pushing forward, folks - the last week of June is just ahead!

My week was busy - we were rehearsing a replacement cast member which meant my time was limited, but I still got a bit done. I'm still reading Atomic Accidents, A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters, which is long and dense and complicated and yet weirdly funny (the author has a great, dry sense of humor). Got a bit of writing done. Still on the fence about the July Camp. No progress on the "explore NYC" goal, although I might go do something on Monday if I don't have an audition (waiting to hear about that). Still waiting on my publisher for that damn pre-sale date, but I did another little social media push this week for Book #1 and picked up another couple of Twitter followers - for what that's worth.

Heading home to DC for another quick visit next weekend since we don't have a show on Tuesday the 4th of July. This will entail a very early morning train trip back to NYC on Wednesday (like 4 AM, since we have a 2 PM matinee that day and I have to be in town early just in case I have to go on). Looking forward to spending Independence Day at home and grilling a bunch of meat.

And at the moment I'm drinking a lovely glass of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, in anticipation of this week being over soon.

1. Incorporate beta feedback for Book #4 as needed - 3 out of 3 DONE
2. Explore NYC with at least two more jaunts to places I've never been
3. Read five books - 4 of 5
4. Finish reading "My Writing Day" essays from The Guardian series - DONE
5. Get at least 10k words written on rough draft of Book #5 - currently 2,160
6. Decide whether to participate in July Camp NaNo
7. Start planning my social media push for the release of Book #1 in August -
in progress

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
... I feel like I picked goals for the month I then had no interest in completing.

[ ] Clean my office.
[ ] Make some webpage updates.
[ ] Finish short story.
[x] Pick July Camp NaNo Project.

Constant Goals:
[ ] Changing sleep cycle.
[25] Write 1K words a day (for 52 weeks).

SKStark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skstark.com
I've been trying to deny it for a little while, but I think my current project is officially doomed. Which seriously sucks because it was supposed to be the first full-length project I finished, and I'm over 35K in. I had it outlined, thought I had a good grasp on the characters, was certain I could keep it simple and neat . . . but the deeper in I've gotten, the more problems I've discovered with the plot and the POV and the main character's basic "nature/being/species/whatever." I was okay with just finishing it, no matter how poorly written, but now it just feels broken in the very foundation. And it's highly unpleasant to keep writing on it. Like, zero fun.

But it's killing me to leave yet ANOTHER project unfinished. So. Frustrating!

Okay. Sorry. Rant over.

My progress:
1. One blog post per week (4 total)
So far . . . 3 (Still owe one more for this month)
2. Write 17K words on my current WIP (this is a weird number, but many maths went into it)
So far . . . 14,000-ish (DOOOOOOMED!)
3. Finish reading Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
Nope!
4. Start reading Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress once I finish #3
Double Nope

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
@SKStark I have a similar problem with not finishing things, and also with hating a lot of the things I've pushed on and finished anyway. What I've worked out is this: there's a certain point in writing where it's a really good idea to stop and take a critical look at the plan and what you've written so far. Unfortunately, it's sooner than I think - often in my push to get consistent daily wordcounts I run straight over the sensible pausing point and end up in an insoluble tangle. That probably doesn't help, but this bit does:

Imagine you're a member of a really permissive forum that lets you post story explanations thousands of words long, but that nobody on the forum knows anything about what you've been working on. So, you have to describe what's happened in the bit you've written, what's supposed to happen in the rest of the story and all the little details about what's working and what's broken, and any ideas you might have about how to fix those things. It's also a good idea to add comments about what you thought the story was going to be like compared to what it's actually like.

If you're like me, this 'explanation' will be too long, too messy, and probably too full of swearing and despair to actually be shared with anyone, but you'll have enough information to start developing a new plan of attack. You'll also have a much better grip on where the problems really are, so you'll be able to condensed descriptions of individual problems and start asking for help and support. Also, a lot of problems sort of solve themselves when you get them into actual words rather than just ideas swirling around my head, which is weird but awesome.

...and now I should probably go and take my own advice, because I haven't managed to add any words to my current WIP since the 11th and my problems there are starting to spill over into a more generalised block.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Hah, this thread really is full of my people. <3 I've had to put aside my WIP of the last few months, because my revisions were starting to do more harm than good.

I am *raging*. I was so close to querying! So close! Feels like if I could just get my shit together and edit it I could be out there, but I've fallen at the final hurdle.

No advice here, just sympathy and much gnashing of teeth.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
My tiny tablet keyboard is not working out for me writing-wise, nor is the touch-screen only interface. I can barely make 400 words in an hour on the tiny keyboard, and editing is a pain. :'( SO, I bought a new writing device on which to write that has a mouse! :O Now it just has to arrive...

Anyhow:
My goals:
[x] Finish the damnable second section of mah novel already, like, geeze, dude... DUDE!
[ ] Read a book. (I'm so slow about reading it's really not productive, maybe I should go back to audio... :/)
[ ] Write at least 20k total in anything!
[x???] Beta for people with the hot intensity of ten thousand sunsbecause they need it and I need it and it's generally a mutually beneficial thing to do -- helping people improve -- because I learn from teaching others as much as from being taught.
[x] Be better about replying to people in a timely fashion.... :eek:

Not bad for having a dead laptop and only being able to write on a tablet. Definitely didn't manage 20k, or even 10k. Oh well!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't beat yourselves up, folks. If you don't achieve a goal this month, there's always next month (and the month beyond that, and the month beyond that...).

We have a couple of bomb-sniffer dogs who come to our theatre through the week and I was watching one of them work the other day. The theatre was clean, but then the trainer hid a "target" in one of the seats so the dog had something to find. I understand this is important to do so the dog doesn't become discouraged. The dog still did the work, but there was a result at the end of the exercise.

I think we need to give ourselves a couple of achievable goals along with the one that require real effort, just so we can look back at our month and say, "well, I didn't get that finished, but I did do THAT."

:: Donna, who would play with the bomb dogs all day if allowed ::

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I have been doing game prep at the expense of real writing, which is not great, but I'm in a bit of a mental slump there so... at least I'm doing something? I did manage to do a proper writing day and finish up the third novel chapter yesterday. I started on the next too, and I'm hopeful about getting it finished over the next few days.

A story was rejected in time for it to be submitted for goal 3.

I finally started (and finished) Rivers of London. I'm over halfway through Moon Over Soho now. The MC's stupidity in this one actually brought the plot holes of the first into higher contrast for me, oddly, but overall I'm enjoying them. I'll probably finish it today since I have a few hours in a waiting room happening in the afternoon.

I'm not going to get four more books read by the end of the month though >>

1. Edit four chapters. 3/4
2. Read eight books. 3/8
3. Write/Edit/Choose a short story. Yes.
3a. Bonus flash edited
4. Game stuff. Yep.
5. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day. Ticky so far.

SKStark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skstark.com
The theatre was clean, but then the trainer hid a "target" in one of the seats so the dog had something to find. I understand this is important to do so the dog doesn't become discouraged. The dog still did the work, but there was a result at the end of the exercise.

So here's where my brain is at: I had a fun little moment of imagining asking my husband to hide a fake Looney Toons bomb somewhere in the house so my cats and I could sniff it out and feel like accomplished heroes for saving him from the bomb he planted. And then the "bomb" wound actually turn out to be a chocolate cake decorated like a bomb (still deadly, but also delicious), and happy endings for all! (Cats would get canned food treat for their "help." i.e. Constant attempts to trip and kill me with spontaneous belly stretches). This 100% made me feel better.

Hah, this thread really is full of my people. <3 I've had to put aside my WIP of the last few months, because my revisions were starting to do more harm than good.

Sounds like you deserve a slice of death bomb cake. :Cake:

@SKStark What I've worked out is this: there's a certain point in writing where it's a really good idea to stop and take a critical look at the plan and what you've written so far. Unfortunately, it's sooner than I think - often in my push to get consistent daily wordcounts I run straight over the sensible pausing point and end up in an insoluble tangle. That probably doesn't help, but this bit does:

Thank you, Siana. You are totally right. I wrote straight through the problems because too focused on word count goals. I'm definitely going to try what you said though, and just write out what it is, what I wanted it to be, and what I think is not working. I've kind of started that process, and have it down to 3 questions I need to answer (answers which will ultimately change the story in drastic ways, but I've accepted that it's inevitable if I'm going to finish it). I hope you find a way back to your WIP. If you ever want a sounding board, I'd be happy to help!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Death Bomb Cake. I need a recipe. Now.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to work out the kinks in the stories, aside from one, so I haven't made much progress, but I'm still trying to get in what I can. I do have a long weekend for 4th of July, so I'm hoping to make some headway then, even if it won't be counted for this month.

Are we going to have a Camp cabin?

Status
Not open for further replies.