• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a few betas for a finished Urban Fantasy novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaneStryfe

Recluse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writerinawarehouse.wordpress.com
I'm looking to find a couple of beta readers for a novel that I finished some time ago. I've worked the damned thing over and over again and have come to the point where it's as good as I can make it without help. I've tried to start new drafts of the story several times now, but each one gets a little... off track.

Genre: The book is easily Urban Fantasy, though I've tried to stay away from the usual suspects like vampires. Magic and mages are the most prominent source of the 'fantasy' in the novel. One other thing to note, that may make or break and potential reader, is the fact that the main character is transgender. More specifically, she is genderfluid - meaning she sits more in the middle of the spectrum instead of trying to be only male or female. This may be an issue for some readers and there isn't much I can do about that. This is not something about the main character that will be changed. Just putting that out there.

Category: The book is Adult, with some adult situations. No sex but a fair deal of violence. I wouldn't consider it gruesome.

Word Count: the story is complete at 78550 words

Feedback: I am looking for help in making my story better. I know it flops in some places, I know it slows down, I know parts are redundant. I've tried to pull those apart as best I can. I also know I'm very blind to my own flaws when it comes to writing. I have a thick skin (I like to think) and would prefer to be told straight instead of beating around the bush. If something makes you want to stop reading, I want to know. I want to know how far you push to continue before you chuck the thing into the metaphorical garbage. I need insight, I need information. I am a research addict and I need information to make better decisions.

Publishing: The ultimate goal of mine is to be traditionally published. I am not looking to self-publish at this time. This is not an invitation to try to persuade me to do so, I've already had threads hijacked with that intent. Respect my decision, please.

Credentials: All I ask for is enthusiasm and confidence enough to be sure you know what you're talking about. There may be things we disagree on--that's okay. If I get the same note from multiple readers, then clearly something needs to be changed. I will take everyone's opinions at face value and proceed as needed.

I posted two heavily-edited versions of the opening chapter here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...0-words-Urban-Fantasy-Profanity-warning-(14A)
The opening in that post is not the same as what is on the book right now. I am using the newest complete draft mostly because I could not make the newer openings work with the rest of the story.

Lastly, I am willing to trade beta-reads. I enjoy most genre-fiction, particularly Urban Fantasy, Heroic Fantasy, and Sci-Fi. I have troubles getting through world-heavy or character heavy books like Game of Thrones or science-heavy sci-fi, but if you've got a great action-y story to tell with fantastical elements, I'd love to read it. Fair warning, however: I work two jobs and have little time outside my own writing for reading. If given a story to read I will make it a priority, but there are other priorities on top of that, so it might take me a bit longer to get through and critique.

That all being said, thank you very much for getting through all the words and I hope to hear from some people soon. Feel free to pm me or reply in-thread, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
::raises hand::

Me? I read a lot of fantasy and SF, and was a technical writer and editor so I can cover the "does this work" as a fantasy and "is this literate" grammar stuff.

Send me files or something.

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for much the same things as you are with my own finished UF. I read your opening in SYW and I liked your voice. Would you be interested in trading for betaing?

My UF is about: A werewolf and her brother have been in hiding for years, when the hunters who killed their parents show up and start dropping bodies. He would want to run if he knew, so she won't tell him. She's not a little girl anymore; she's been hunting hunters for years and gotten damn good at killing what used to haunt her dreams.

Multi POV, mostly queer characters, modern Earth setting, supernaturals (mostly werewolves and witches) have been out of the closet for the last 14 years. Parts of it are rather violent. One of the characters owns a cannabis dispensary. 91k words with a few explicit (but no actual sex) gay scenes.

PM me for trading info, if you're interested.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you still need a beta please PM. I don't have time for a line-by-line but could give you some overall feedback.

BaneStryfe

Recluse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writerinawarehouse.wordpress.com
I realize that I haven't really given any sort of info about the book, so I'll give a bit now.

Transgender mage Lily has spent the last three years trying to build a normal life. When that life blows up in her face, she finds herself on the run not only from the human police, but from the mages who want to take her back to her family. As if that weren't bad enough, a group of rogue mages are trying to open a mystical prison that would unleash hell on earth. They need a Runecaller to open that prison. Lucy is the only one left.

The book is first person POV, the main character is genderfluid. I try not to get too much into the whole gender thing but I do make it effect the storyline because, let's face it, it's going to affect people's reactions to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.