Finished Photography Book - What does an agent want to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I have finished a photo book and have a bunch printed up and a query letter outlining the proposal for the book and it's follow ups. I just can't find a lot of info on the google machine or here in the bowels of AW regarding the best way to submit to an agency when you actually can send them the prototype.

Should I send the entire book? I found a couple that said "go for it," but most agents have no guidelines for photography books including the ones who represent photographers. I've looked at query tracker and almost all "Submission Guidelines" are for manuscript books. There's no "If you are a photographer, please ......do this.."

Important to note that they are expensive and I'd rather not send out the entire book, except in rare cases. So, I hope there is a less expensive, more standard submission method that photographers use. Maybe just some photocopied prototypes with standard book proposal/query?

I know this post is a mish mosh. This is just very confusing.

Maybe I'll just self-publish. :Shrug:

Sincerely,
Frustrated in Mahattan

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Agencies won't want your prototype. What they want to see is a proposal, and your content. When publishers sign books of this type they do all the production work: the design, the layout, the jacket. That's not your job here. Just a proposal, and the content. That's all you need right now. And it's usual to submit things by email, so you don't have to worry about the expense of supplying printed copies.

Reaction score
Agencies won't want your prototype. What they want to see is a proposal, and your content. When publishers sign books of this type they do all the production work: the design, the layout, the jacket. That's not your job here. Just a proposal, and the content. That's all you need right now. And it's usual to submit things by email, so you don't have to worry about the expense of supplying printed copies.

What do you mean "and your content?" SHould I include some photos? Thanks!

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
Do you have a PDF of the interior? You could send that (or part of it, depending on length or if you're not comfortable sending the whole thing). Otherwise, send several of the best images from the book as part of your submission package.

Reaction score
Do you have a PDF of the interior? You could send that (or part of it, depending on length or if you're not comfortable sending the whole thing). Otherwise, send several of the best images from the book as part of your submission package.

I don't have a PDF, but I guess I can create one. That probably the best bet. Thanks!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
What you need, Billy, is to look up how to write a book proposal, and then do that; and put together a sample of your work. It does NOT have to be a PDF of the book: I wouldn't do that. The standard for most books--even heavily illustrated ones--is a proposal, which is usually a Word document, and a few sample chapters along with a sample of the illustrations.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Prototype #1 delivered to prototype welcoming publisher.

Now, on to all of the above. Appreciated.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to look for an agent, do not send anything to any more publishers.

Billy, you seem to be rushing at this. Step back. Take some time to learn how this works, so that you do it all properly. Otherwise you'll end up scuppering yourself.

Reaction score
There's nothing rushed. Rizzoli requests prototypes and proposals. They have it.

Nothing else is happening as of now. Thanks for concern and help.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for an agent, and you burn publishers, then the agent, who may have a good relationship at that publisher, can't pitch to them, killing your chances two ways in one.

Reaction score
Oh Jesus.

It's a photo book. For photo books, you want Rizzoli to be your publisher. Rizzoli requests full proposals and prototypes that will give their editorial board as close to an idea as possible of what it is exactly you would like them to publish.

So, I made them the book. Fully acknowledging that if they wanted to move forward, they would probably have their photo editors and graphic designers redo it to their standards. AS THEY REQUESTED, I've submitted the book. That's it. There are no burnings of publishers. There's nothing happening. It's a very straightforward concept. They like it, cool. They don't like it, fine. I will begin to look for agents to submit to the many other publishers out there who handle photo books.

Everyone please take a deep breath. SMH

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Of course there are other publishers which publish photo books.

No one has given you bad advice, or wrong advice. You are rushing into this, you don't know what you're doing, and you are not listening to the advice you've been given. You don't get to patronise AW's members, or shake your head at them, or dismiss the advice you asked for by opening this thread, just because you don't like the advice you've been given.

I wish you the best of luck with your book. But we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.