Synopsis - Do you need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I actually loved my last synopsis. It made someone say, "Wow!" Twice. :greenie

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
not sure what all you're talking about, but i wasn't speaking about your sense of humor.

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
that's great sage! good luck with it!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I actually loved my last synopsis. It made someone say, "Wow!" Twice. :greenie
Mine, too :) Loved writing it and it hit the spot. Unlike a query letter, which would kill me - but we don't use them down here, I think.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
pretty tough group here. sense of humor is a bit...stiff as well.

I'm sorry, so your posts are just jokes? I thought you were being serious.

if i have had success with my method, what in the world is wrong with me telling other writers about it...

they certainly get bombarded by what you all preach.

Because you're being disingenuous. You didn't just post an anecdotal story about what worked for you. You've said things like, "they're trying to go down easy street scanning a synopsis," implying that agents are lazy. And, "you don't have to obey the rules," encouraging people new to this that submission guidelines aren't worth following.

So the other people here are concerned that you are spreading bad information and trying to correct it for the benefit of people who are new to this. You, as someone who is also not new to this, could realize that perhaps your experience is not easily reproducible, and perhaps not the best advice for newbies, so it should not be presented as such. It could be a very valuable to AW (because atypical stories have high value, too), just not part of the typical standard of how people get an agent.

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
your posts are definitely not jokes. ha!

i am sure my experience would probably not be easily reproducible (what a tough word to type) being my experience, like probably all writers, was very difficult to produce from the beginning. and took some time and great care to grow.

this place has an edge. always something i try to find in my own writing. where is the edge. i'm not trying to give the 'best advice' about anything because i have no idea what that is. just yakking with other writers about writing, methods, etc. i know as much about writing as the next writer...not too much. it is an evolving adventure.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So just to be clear (because I worry about the newbies) we have one writer saying that not following the guidelines worked once for that writer ten years ago, but is not necessarily reproducible,
i am sure my experience would probably not be easily reproducible
and whole lot of current writers and industry professionals saying it's best in general to follow the guidelines.

If that helps.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My advice to anyone submitting anything is to have a synopsis written and ready to go before sending anything out, and to follow submission guidelines to the letter. My friend, Nicola Morgan, has written a guide called Write A Great Synopsis, which I recommend, but other resources are available.

good thoughts from all for sure. more wise than mine. i bucked the system a bit this evening...had a delicious buck venison tenderloin biscuit. i mean, it was delicious. but i think it can help to not think of a dang bit of trying to get an agent/get published et al as a 'system' but more of a journey, a date, or a strange meal.

out in the city, at night, you walk the sidewalk, hold the hand of your new special, you love the feel of her hand, and you eventually find a restaurant where the service is pretty terrible but you sit at a table and love every moment of where you're at and what you're doing and the way she smiles and the way they keep your water glass filled, the smell from the kitchen smells good coming out the doors of some places you walk by on a cold night, and this place smelled the best to your special one. so that's where you went with her, even thought you were scared you couldn't afford it. after looking at the menu, you may have to go to the bathroom to check your wallet if you have the loot to eat there. your hands shake counting the ones and fives and the three tens. it is all you have. there is nothing else. will it be enough...anyway, i just made that up and it;s rough and stinks but it is hard to get stuff like that in a synopsis: stephanie and joe went out to eat. they held hands walking down the sidewalk. joe looked at the menu and didn't know if he had the money to pay for the meal.

pretty tough group here. sense of humor is a bit...stiff as well.

if i have had success with my method, what in the world is wrong with me telling other writers about it...

they certainly get bombarded by what you all preach.

not sure what all you're talking about, but i wasn't speaking about your sense of humor.

your posts are definitely not jokes. ha!

i am sure my experience would probably not be easily reproducible (what a tough word to type) being my experience, like probably all writers, was very difficult to produce from the beginning. and took some time and great care to grow.

this place has an edge. always something i try to find in my own writing. where is the edge. i'm not trying to give the 'best advice' about anything because i have no idea what that is. just yakking with other writers about writing, methods, etc. i know as much about writing as the next writer...not too much. it is an evolving adventure.

Ancon, I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove here because your writing is unclear and you contradict yourself (see the parts I've bolded above).

You're a writer. You should know that words count.

I think we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.