Synopsis - Do you need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjdevlin

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's not to say I'm not preparing one - I am. I think it's important to have one regardless of your querying process but while I'm researching agents to query, I've seen some places where agents just want a query and the first ten pages etc.

Have you ever landed an agent without sending a single synopsis?

Are some agents loath to read the synopsis?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
If they ask for one, then yes, you need it.

If they don't, then don't.

I have 1, 2, 3, 5 and 10 page synopses ready to use. Yes, I've had agents, contests or editors ask for all these different lengths.

2gregory

Golden boy with feet of clay
Registered
Reaction score
You should definitely have one ready. Even if an agent doesn't ask for one with the query, they may well ask if they request pages.

gbhike

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is old but I was just searching for the topic and came across this. I've heard and have figured that having a synopsis handy is always a great idea, even if you never end up needing it. Better to write it out thoughtfully and not end up using it than to have one requested from you and have to scramble around at the last second.

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
i don't send them when asked. i state a simple truth--i would make JAWS boring in a synopsis. i just try to expose the bones/spine of what i've written, in a very brief paragraph or two without giving the twists and turns away. i want them to read the story, not the synopsis.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
i don't send them when asked. i state a simple truth--i would make JAWS boring in a synopsis. i just try to expose the bones/spine of what i've written, in a very brief paragraph or two without giving the twists and turns away. i want them to read the story, not the synopsis.

The point of the synopsis is to let the agent (or editor) see in quick fashion what the main beats and structure of the story are. It's not meant to be particularly interesting, it's meant to show exactly how the main plot unfolds.

Refusing to write one or send one, especially when *asked*, especially if you are actually telling folks "I don't do that." is very likely to get you a "Hard to work with" checkmark by your name.

Synopses are a pain to write, incredibly dull (even when they are exactly how they need to be), and a vital tool in your writers tool kit. (Any time you pitch a series? You'll probably need a synopsis for each sequel. Not always long, but a single paragraph/expanded logline may not
be enough. Especially if you are still early in your career/haven't proved you can write a series. Especially if the project you're pitching is complex.)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@ancon- I agree with Aggy. I would always send what they ask for because not following their instructions is not a good first impression. But you can always request help with it in SYW (after you get 50 posts).

Last edited:

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
i guess i like to be cantankerous at times! ha. i want them to read my novel, not a summary of it. they're trying to go down easy street scanning a synopsis. nah. don't like that. either read the story or don't. btw, a little bit of 'hard to work with' i believe is already checked by my name. i'm okay with it.:)

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i guess i like to be a bit cantankerous! ha. i want them to read my novel, not a summary of it. they're trying to go down easy street scanning a synopsis. nah. don't like that. either read the story or don't.

Well, you know how it goes though. He who has the gold makes the rules, right?

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
you don't have to obey the rules, though, with submitting, etc. you can if you want to. lots of paths to the top of the mountain, as the old saying goes!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
you don't have to obey the rules, though, with submitting, etc. you can if you want to. lots of paths to the top of the mountain, as the old saying goes!
Um - okay. But what if you want to be trade published? Which I'm assuming you kind of do because why would you write yourself a synopsis of your own self-published book?

ETA: I'm assuming you're not already a very successful novelist with a reputation for being worth dealing with despite the - yanno - Thing. If you are already a very successful novelist with a reputation for being worth dealing with despite the Thing, it would be a kindness to mention it, in case new writers read this and think your advice applies accross the board. Which it doesn't. Obvsly.

Last edited:

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score
i guess i like to be cantankerous at times! ha. i want them to read my novel, not a summary of it. they're trying to go down easy street scanning a synopsis. nah. don't like that. either read the story or don't. btw, a little bit of 'hard to work with' i believe is already checked by my name. i'm okay with it.:)

Agents often ask for a synopsis along with sample chapters. The excerpt gives an indication of the quality and style of your writing, while the synopsis demonstrates a complete narrative arc. Even if you're not subbing to agents, synopsis-writing is a skill to master as it can help you review the structure of your own work during revisions as well as planning future work.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score

Um, no. If an agent asks for something and you either don't give it to them or give them something completely different (especially if it's obvious you are doing so deliberately) guess where the MS goes?

If your goal is self-publication, then sure. You can, in a certain sense, do whatever you want. If you are searching for an agent, a person you will be entering into a business partnership with, then it is in everyone's best interest to supply them with the material they ask for. (A lot of agents don't ask for a synopsis because they don't like reading them any more than we like writing them. But if they ask, they have a reason for doing so. Part of which consists of, "Can I work with this person? Will they provide what I need in order to effectively pitch their work?")

Just like, if you asked an agent for a copy of their agency agreement and they said "No, I don't do those because all that legal language is boring. But it's mostly like what you'd expect," you would not consider them to be a reliable business partner.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
The underlying issue, is that most authors find a synopsis difficult.

It is.

It's the one thing that takes a lot of practice. Re the 'boring, bones' element. Once you've done it for a number of times, you should be able to also enter the emotional arc of the story, which I feel, it vital for a synopsis to carry impact.

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
i'll just stick with my statement that i am not a good synopsis writer or fly fisherman, and unfortunately i make a poor skillet of cabbage, salt pork and potatoes. i try to use my query letter, etc, to get a read. i try to stay away from submitting summaries, etc. if my query has a good hook and the novel has a good first page, they'll keep reading as long as the story stays interesting and true. gotta be true. i want a reader to read and feel the first page of the novel and not the first page of a synopsis. mine always read like wintertime in February. the taste of a bad first date. etc.

also, aggy, one time q few years ago i would not sign an agency agreement. didn't suit me.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
also, aggy, one time q few years ago i would not sign an agency agreement. didn't suit me.

And this has what to do with you not writing a synopsis? This actually underscores the point of having certain things in writing. They showed you the terms rather than expecting you would just be excited enough by the idea to jump all the way in. (Which is frequently why agents want a synopsis along with the sample pages. It gives them an idea if they want to spend the time reading the whole MS.)

First chapters are frequently more polished than any other part of the book. And a lot of books fall apart plot-wise - something that is frequently obvious in the synopsis. A good opening is good, but it may not be enough to convince an agent to spend three hours reading your MS when they have plenty of folks giving them good first chapters *and* an overview of how the book unfolds.

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
it has to do with us, as writers, not having to follow all the writing rules.

agree about your point, i think. :) my stuff can get a bit crumbly after about page 200. sometimes after page 2. i've been lucky to sell a couple of novels and i'm trying to sell a couple more (good grief it is a tough market), and know i'm getting boring, but i don't write summaries of my stories. i will write a paragraph or two (like what would be on a book jacket). i simply want them to start reading the mss (with a sense from my query of what sort of story it is, where it is heading, etc, stakes)

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever landed an agent without sending a single synopsis?
I have, but it was in the 1990s. It's different now. I just sent my latest off to my agent and she asked if I'd mind sending a synop as well because many publishers do like them. She was quite apologetic, but it took maybe 40 minutes and then maybe 30 more of polish. It wasn't difficult. Don't let it scare you :)

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score
i'll just stick with my statement that i am not a good synopsis writer

Who is? Not me. But you can get better. It's a craft. It can be learned and practiced.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who is? Not me. But you can get better. It's a craft. It can be learned and practiced.
I wonder - because I'm seeing a lot of people whose views I respect saying that it's hard - whether it falls somewhere along the pantser/plotter line. I find plotting almost impossible and terrifying and all the hard words - it's way beyond me. But once the thing's written, a synop is pretty easy. I just kind of write down what happened from the mc's point of view.

Query letters, though - they do seem like a special kind of hell.

Last edited:

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
i want them to read the real deal. the STORY. and they can choose to read it or not. up to them, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.