Hello! How did I not know about AW until now?!

weekendwarrior

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've just been introduced to Absolute Write by a friend over the weekend and I can't believe I've only found you guys now... I feel like I've been living under a rock!

Anyways, I thought I'd say hi! I've been writing in my own little cocoon for the last 5 years or so and so am really excited about the community that's here. As I've put in my bio, I write spy-ish stuff with a very light sprinkling of the supernatural (think John Le Carre if he were to write the X-Men - except obviously nowhere near as amazing that would be!).

As I'm new I thought, I'd start with a question that I've been struggling with for years: as somebody who's got a day job, I often struggle to carve out time for writing (weekends being the best bet) - if you're in that same situation, how do you manage your routine to stay productive and on track?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you!

I've known a handful of working people who got up early to write for a half hour before anyone else was up. Not that I could possibly have done that, but there are those who can.

Years ago I knew two people who arranged to alternate nights for meal prep with a spouse or roommate so they could write on the night they weren't cooking and roomie or spouse had a similar hour of me-time. Both did this Monday through Thursday only. I guess it worked for them and nobody ever resented that on my night I made a healthy dinner that involved lots of chopping up and on your night you made Hamburger Helper again. (That's how it would have gone at our house.)

I know at least one person here who goes off alone on her lunch hour and writes, usually 1500 to 2000 words. Think how7500 to 10,000 words each and every week adds up!

With technology being so cooperative, you might be able to "write" by recording the words during your commute, assuming you drive alone. The other folks on the bus may not care to hear your first draft.

Ultimately, you'll find a plan that works for you.

Maryn, glad to have you join us

weekendwarrior

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys - very nice to meet you too!

Maryn, that's great advice. Morning are not great for me either but I really like the idea of alternating meal prep. And yes, being able to put down even 1000 words a day adds up pretty quick! For a while I use to write on my commute (typed it out very slowly on my iphone on the bus) but now that's changed a bit so I've got to look for other pockets of time.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Nice to meet you and welcome to the group!

About your question, all you can do is make it important, like any other activity. People who want to exercise, for example, make it a priority, make a schedule to stick to, and carve the time out of the other things they do during the week. Writing is no different.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! The description of your story genre sounds great. :)

As for getting words written daily, you might like this thread that has been very active lately: Word Wars! That link goes to the latest page of it. Members arrange to write at a certain time for a specific length of time (e.g. 30 minutes), and then compare their word count at the end. It's full of mutual encouragement, and might be a nice way to build a routine for yourself. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome :snoopy:

I'm lucky in that my kids have grown and fled (take that any way you like :) ) and my husband is extremely tolerant, especially when he's hypnotized by the Hypnotoad TV.

(Also, there's no keystroke monitor on my computer at work, so...)

E. Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, w.w. :banana: Glad you found AW while living under a rock. When my kids were young, I'd be up at 4 a.m. to write before they claimed a seat in my lap. Now I'm retired and grandkids are too big for my lap, so I write throughout the day as opportunities allow. I understand the early morning doesn't work for all, including you, but if you are motivated, you can find a little time. Good luck.

weekendwarrior

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm going to keep hacking at it and hopefully with a bit of help from here I can finish up my first novel a little faster!

Yarns

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum WeekendWarrior! I wish I had good advice for you, but I don't. Yet perhaps someone else here may have some good advice!