Finding Music for Written Songs

Sara Raynott

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

My son wants to enter a song writing contest. He isn't done, but has most of his lyrics written. The problem we are facing is how to go about putting music to his words. The way he sings it is great and doesn't sound like any songs I know, but he can't write the music/instrumental part of that as he has no experience.

How does a songwriter typically get the background music for their lyrics? Or, is music/instrument writing going to be something he has to learn for himself?

Thank you for any advice,
Sara

DamienLoveshaft

Fudanshi
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.damienloveshaft.com
This is coming from someone who has had classical singing training. There's two viable option here.
A) I highly recommend taking up Piano if your son wants to learn to write his own music. It'll give him a very good foundation and pianos can really hold their own in many genres or be paired with synthetics.

B) He'll need to find someone to team up with. If there are any local music programs there might be students looking for partners or groups. This will require compromise of goals on a financial level.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
This is coming from someone who has had classical singing training. There's two viable option here.
A) I highly recommend taking up Piano if your son wants to learn to write his own music. It'll give him a very good foundation and pianos can really hold their own in many genres or be paired with synthetics.

B) He'll need to find someone to team up with. If there are any local music programs there might be students looking for partners or groups. This will require compromise of goals on a financial level.
+1 to both of these points. In the meantime, if he hasn't already done this, I'd suggest at least recording himself singing it on his phone, to capture the tune while it's fresh in his mind. (Voice of experience here, new melodies can be fragile and easily lost!)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
What Damien said. He either needs to learn to write his own accompaniment - I'd give a shout out to the trusty ol' guitar as an alternative to the piano, a bit cheaper and a lot more portable - or find a partner to work with. Being able to carry a tune already is a great start.

Pre-written backing tracks do exist but they are not usually high-quality. A song is not just music or lyrics - it's both coming together.

And seconding edutton - record EVERYTHING. Even the mistakes. Especially the mistakes. Sometimes the best things come out of accidents.

Sara Raynott

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for this wonderful advice. I really appreciate it!

I'd suggest at least recording himself singing it on his phone, to capture the tune while it's fresh in his mind. (Voice of experience here, new melodies can be fragile and easily lost!)

Great idea!

He'll need to find someone to team up with. If there are any local music programs there might be students looking for partners or groups. This will require compromise of goals on a financial level.

He is allowed to partner with others on the song. He's asked a few friends, but none know how to write music either. Looking for a local music program is an excellent idea.

And seconding edutton - record EVERYTHING. Even the mistakes. Especially the mistakes. Sometimes the best things come out of accidents.

I like how you put this! I may use this quote to him many times in the future (don't worry, I'll give you credit).

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, this is reminding me of one of my earliest memories. When my uncle, a guitarist left for New York, he left an old piano at my grandmother's house, where I lived. I'd be messing around on the piano, hearing tunes in my head, and as was said above melodies are easily lost. So in order to remember the masterpieces I was writing in my head I'd number the piano keys in crayon. I saw nothing wrong with this, of course. I agree with all the advice so far, but I'll just say that it might be a little easier to get competent on piano because it's all laid out in front of you. But see which one grabs him and go with that. My daughter started on piano when she was eight, then guitar, now she's excellent at both and competent on a few others. For this contest, you could find someone in town, a music teacher will do, and ask them to put your son's tune on sheet music. It's really great that he's interested, it will bring him a lot of joy.

Sara Raynott

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Maze Runner. I shiver at the idea of crayon on an antique piano, but love the creativity you had as a child to inspire yourself :)

Asking a music teacher to put his tune on sheet music is an excellent idea. He (or similar aged partners) have to do all of the composition themselves, but I don't think it would be against the rules to have someone write the notes for the tune he is already singing. I'll double check to make sure, but this seems like an excellent solution.

As my son is serious about singing, I do agree with all of you that he should learn to play an instrument. It could only help him as music does bring him joy.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it was less an antique than it was an old piano with a few dead keys. Still I was afraid that my uncle would be mad when he came home for Christmas, but he was cool. "Oh, yeah," he said. "Well, did it help you?" That was all he cared about, if it helped me at all. Just reminds me I have to call him. He's been ill, and he's one of the coolest guys I've ever known.

Singing was my love, too. Best to your son.

Sara Raynott

Registered
Reaction score
"Well, did it help you?" That was all he cared about, if it helped me at all. Just reminds me I have to call him. He's been ill, and he's one of the coolest guys I've ever known.

And best to your Uncle. He sounds like an awesome guy!