• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Critique partner requested: Plots for children's animal stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Routhwick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
constantnoble.miraheze.org
...Or should it be "critique mentor"?

Evening again, scribes; currently developing Unspooled, a tentative six-book middle-grade series featuring fully dressed animal characters, and set in the Caribbean and Africa during 2009-11. After a QLH session that went up in flames last night, I'm taking a chance here instead.

At the moment, I'm focusing on two stories in the series; the lead characters are raccoon cousins from the Caribbean island of Dominica. One--the inaugural main installment (#1)--is aimed towards middle-grade readers; the other, a side story (#1B), skews pretty younger. Plot-story available for #1; story elements available for #1B.

Specifics for the main installment's plot-story:

• Genre: Adventure / Light Mystery
  • Age level: Middle grade
  • Word count: 2,794
  • Feedback desired for: Plot progression/development
  • Link: QLH thread (posts #1 & #10)
  • Criticism tolerance: Light to moderate
  • Summary: A 12-year-old boy raccoon from Dominica unwittingly turns things around for a kindly homeless bloke, whose decades-old passport he recovered.

And for the side story notes:

• Genre: Adventure
  • Age level: Elementary (5-8)
  • Word count: --
  • Feedback desired for: Plot progression/development
  • Criticism tolerance: Light to moderate
  • Story details (chief plot point bolded):
    A peach-allergic 6.5-year-old raccoon from suburban Roseau, Dominica spends his first summer in the island's northeastern village of Marigot. Among the friends he meets there: A voracious ring-tailed cat, a mouse who can only speak simple words, an otter of Irish ancestry, and a Muslim squirrel. He also spends his time inside an old cottage where cats dwell.​

The side story is higher up the priority queue, since I've only got a week to write a sample chapter or two. (Also, there'll be a second book where the older raccoon kit meets local Girl Scouts and a Québec orphanage class.)

A big bonus if you've written for kids before; can relate to animals; come from the Caribbean; or any/all of the above. Reply within, PM or otherwise.

And before you ask: A market for stuff like this exists. May I refer you to Disney's Zootopia?

P.S. Only posting this to beat Memorial Day.

Last edited:

Sara Raynott

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Routhwick,

I'm new to these forums, but I'd love to help you out if I can. I haven't written anything in the children's genre before. However, I have volunteered over 500 hours in elementary school libraries and I have 1 middle and 1 elementary school aged children. I spend my volunteer hours reading to children, reading books they enjoy, and (my favorite) discussing books with them. I can also relate to animals as I have several pets and would have more if my husband was as crazy about animals as I am.

May I say that your different animal types and backgrounds sounds like a great way to teach kids about diversity and inclusion? I'm kind of hoping for that angle after reading your description.

I understand if I'm not quite what you are looking for. But, I am interested in being helpful if there is a way that I can give advice.

Thanks,
Sara

Routhwick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
constantnoble.miraheze.org
Hi Routhwick,

I'm new to these forums, but I'd love to help you out if I can. I haven't written anything in the children's genre before. However, I have volunteered over 500 hours in elementary school libraries and I have 1 middle and 1 elementary school aged children. I spend my volunteer hours reading to children, reading books they enjoy, and (my favorite) discussing books with them. I can also relate to animals as I have several pets and would have more if my husband was as crazy about animals as I am.
You've got my approval already!

May I say that your different animal types and backgrounds sounds like a great way to teach kids about diversity and inclusion? I'm kind of hoping for that angle after reading your description.
As has partly been the plan all along. I'm one of those who's aware other cultures, nations, and fandoms exist; it's even showed in the five years I've posted on Google+.

Status
Not open for further replies.