monsterjazzlicks

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
RE: Basic Newbie Grammar Questions

Hi folks,

I have been trying to find out the reasons why authors make the decisions to present certain grammatical/language features which they do. I have watched many You-Tube tutorials but it does not seem to be too often that people respond to viewers questions.

Firstly, what is (please) the main reason behind a long-list of nouns. I think the intended effect is to cause the reader a sense of feeling 'overwhelmed':

eg. "They carried tables, chairs, books, shoes, coats, bedding, curtains, cushions and paintings into the lobby".

Secondly, I guess this falls under 'alliteration', but what is the technical term for the application of starting consecutive sentences (in the same paragraph) with the same letter:

eg. "He walked in. Home was home. Having been away for so long it felt strange to Harold. Here he was back again. Heaven had answered his prayers."

In addition the this particular question, you can see there is the repetition of the letter 'H' buried within some sentences! I think this is called 'Paroemion'?

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here . . .

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)

<btw: these questions are in relation to my imminent GSCE English exam!>

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The long list of nouns is less a rhetorical figure, and more a trope; it's called cataloging. It's an archaic feature in a lot of epic poetry. Google "epic catalog" and you'll see what I mean. There's a famous list of ships in Homer's Illiad. It's pretty common in Medieval romance too.

Paroemion is a sibling of alliteration; it's essentially extreme alliteration, so yep.

monsterjazzlicks

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thank you AW,

So it's more towards a 'trope'. I never knew it is called 'cataloging' either. I made up the term 'listing, and I think some people refer to it as a 'laundry-list' also.

Is the colon optional please:

eg. "They carried: tables, chairs, books . . ."

Secondly (please), what is your opinion of whether or not an 'and' is required and the end of the cataloging:

" . . . curtains, cushions and paintings into the lobby".

Lastly, do you think the desired effect of using 'cataloging' is to overwhelm the reader, please?

Much appreciated.

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi AW,

eg. "He walked in. Home was home. Having been away for so long it felt strange to Harold. Here he was back again. Heaven had answered his prayers."

In addition the this particular question, you can see there is the repetition of the letter 'H' buried within some sentences! I think this is called 'Paroemion'?

Thanks, I knew it was called something like 'Paroemion'.

But let's say there were less 'H' letters in the paragraph; say a couple or so in every sentence. Then could you say that the letter 'H' was a grammatic-motif (to coin a phrase!)?

Ta,

Paul

monsterjazzlicks

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi again,

<new question> :idea:

I understand that you have 'formal' and 'informal' texts. For instance, a job interview letter would be formal, whereas a letter to a local (say) library would be 'informal'. These both fall under 'Transactional Writing' - I am certain you know this already!

However, I am unclear as to how to classify the same parameters within the contexts of fiction/non-fiction stories.

For example, I am working through some GSCE pass-papers and one of the questions (relating to the text: "The Yellow Wallpaper" - Charlotte Perkins) asks if the writing is 'formal' or 'informal'. Because there is no slang, apostrophes or abbreviations then I assumed the story is 'formal'? That is my logical thinking, but admittedly this is not concrete.

In short, could one assume that most '19thC Classics' are all 'formal' writings (eg. Invisible Man, Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice) for the simple reason that their respective authors were accomplished in their field and that a 'formal' style was very much appropriate for this particular genre?

Ta,

Paul

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In short, could one assume that most '19thC Classics' are all 'formal' writings (eg. Invisible Man, Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice) for the simple reason that their respective authors were accomplished in their field and that a 'formal' style was very much appropriate for this particular genre?

The distinction between "formal" and "informal" is pretty arbitrary when it comes to fictional narrative, especially in looking back at things published a century or more ago. And probably a useless exercise. The novels you cite were written in a style standardly appropriate for their day; as just one example, Wells' novel The Invisible Man is a good deal less "formal" in style than is Austen's Pride and Prejudice, published sixty or more years earlier. Styles change, according to readers' preferences, over time. But even in more recent times, we have the examples of the very informal style of Kurt Vonnegut contrasted with the very formal styles of, say, Thomas Pynchon or John Barth. In the 19th century, we have examples of the very informal Mark Twain and the standardly formal William Dean Howells, who was Twain's close friend.

In short, write in the style appropriate to the story you are writing, and try not to obsess with critical theory while you do it.

caw

monsterjazzlicks

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks Blacbird,

I appreciate your response.

My question is really in relation to an 'analysis' question which is very likely to appear in my looming English exam; rather than it being something I am trying to define for the purposes of my own fictional-writing (I would never even attempt to try and write something in the style of '19thC' because I am only a basic novice!).

To borrow your terminology, perhaps I could make three distinctions (for the purposes of the exam): 'formal', 'less-formal' 'informal'?

Ta,

Paul

(btw - I never seem to receive notifications that a response has been posted to my threads?). :(

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
monsterjazzlicks I suggest you contact your teacher; we're not a tutoring service.

monsterjazzlicks

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
RE: Basic Newbie Grammatical Questions

Hi AW,

Thank you for your reply.

I have been very polite and most grateful to the members who have replied here. But there seems to be a particular attitude on this site in that only certain types of people/questions are welcome?

My GCSE English exam is next Monday and we are currently on half-term (therefore I can not seek additional academic assistance as you sarcastically suggest). I did explain my questions were of the revision type (I do not see anything wrong with that personally?). I suppose your reply makes a change from the usual: "just Google it".

This is the second snotty reply I have received in my two personal threads. I trust 'locking' a member's thread gives you a great sense of power and satisfaction.

Therefore, can the Moderators please close down my Absolute Writers account asap!

AW - thank you for nothing.

Goodbye.

Paul

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought you flounced three months ago after you were asked politely to turn off capslock when posting. Do you mean it this time?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.