• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

roman a' clef or creative non-fiction

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the waffling thread title, but I'm uncertain of which one it would be. Just interested in hearing anything you have to say on one or the other, on both if you'd like, as a reader and/or a writer.

I used to read a lot of non-fiction, but for the past few years, actually more, I've almost exclusively been reading fiction--and so I'm very fuzzy on writers or books I've particularly enjoyed, let alone what it was about them that I thought was so good. I'm hoping this thread can give me some parameters, and maybe spark some ideas as to what my approach should be.

I started on this project thinking it would be straight non-fiction, but now I'm not so sure.

Some of my specific questions might be: Can you point me to a book, or to a writer whom you believe does this very well? And if so, can you tell me what it was about it, about his or her approach that made the book work for you? And, of course, if you've written this stuff yourself, what was your approach? What were you trying to do? What are some of the pitfalls I should look out for? What did you learn in the process related to things you found effective and/or ineffective? Or what did you learn relating to anything actually? That's how blank I am right now.

I don't want to (actually am unable to) be real specific with regard to what I'm looking for, and would like to hear anything you have to say on this. You never know what's gonna trip a trigger and get you off the starting block. I know this may be confusing, so please ask and I will clarify whatever I am able to.

Thanks very much in advance.

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is what you are looking for necessarily, but I'd recommend pretty much anything by Hunter S. Thompson. Articles, books, whatever.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
You know, believe it or not (should be right up my alley) I have never read his stuff. Is it narrative at all? I just don't know.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I just had a look at a couple, actually right on-point, thank you. I'll definitely get one.

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy. Hunter S. Thompson is a joy to read. He's one of my top favorite writers.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you're overthinking this.

A Roman a' Clef is a novel based in facts. In Hemingway's A Sun Also Rises, it's real characters and real events with the serial numbers filed away, things fabricated, and a narrative created to enclose it all. Hemingway wanted to write the events of his life, but gussied them up a little and wrote a fiction novel of them. This differs from memoir because the fiction aspect removes the author as a character; they are now writing about a fictional character living similar details based in real events.

Creative non-fiction is an umbrella term to encompass anything from autobiography to personal essays and blog writing. It's not an actual genre with conventions; it's a group of genres.

I'm not sure how I can help you since I have no clue why you're asking. Read up on the Wikipedia articles on them.

IMO, FWIW, Oscar Zeta Ocosta is better than Thompson.

Last edited:

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
I've never read anything by Oscar Acosta (isn't that who Thompson refers to as Dr. Gonzo?) but that is a bold claim. I'll have to read some of his stuff.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy. Hunter S. Thompson is a joy to read. He's one of my top favorite writers.

His writing looks like something I'll love. Thanks for the suggestion.

It sounds like you're overthinking this.

A Roman a' Clef is a novel based in facts. In Hemingway's A Sun Also Rises, it's real characters and real events with the serial numbers filed away, things fabricated, and a narrative created to enclose it all. Hemingway wanted to write the events of his life, but gussied them up a little and wrote a fiction novel of them. This differs from memoir because the fiction aspect removes the author as a character; they are now writing about a fictional character living similar details based in real events.

Creative non-fiction is an umbrella term to encompass anything from autobiography to personal essays and blog writing. It's not an actual genre with conventions; it's a group of genres.

I'm not sure how I can help you since I have no clue why you're asking. Read up on the Wikipedia articles on them.

IMO, FWIW, Oscar Zeta Ocosta is better than Thompson.

Yes, thank you for clearing that up. I didn't know what the term meant. I guess when it comes down to it (thanks for making me clarify it in my mind) I'm only asking if a story based on actual events should be treated differently than one that's purely fictional? And if so, what are some of the things I should concern myself with?