The future of feminism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a member of or contribute monthly to over a dozen different organizations which support efforts to fight discrimination of any kind. But it seems to me that we need some kind of umbrella organization to help us coordinate our efforts. Nothing very formal perhaps, or prescriptive. But some way to stand together.

Because as Franklin said, "We must hang together or we'll hang separately."

We don't stand together. I would contribute to NARAL, but fuck if NOW would get the shine off a dime from me and god knows there's someone out there who thinks the reverse. In this and areas I'm more interested/involved in, there are orgs I'm happy to work with/for, and ones I don't want to be associated with, even though they seem like they're doing the same thing. I'm sure there are people who would march to save a zoo while I'm protesting outside of it. We do not stand together; our efforts can't be coordinated. There are things a lot of us may want, but then we can all come together for that.

A common vocabulary might help create that. Perhaps we could retire "minority" since women are a majority by a few percent. "Disadvantaged" is more inclusive, but it's a bit clumsy. Maybe a substitute for LGBTT2QQIIAAP which is an example of an acronym getting way out of hand.

Why? What's the point? How does it help anything?

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking more of the British decision to trade opium for goods from China. A decision which would eventually influence the rise of Mao as China sought to distance itself from the corruption of the West. (Which in turn led to re-education, and the internment of intellectuals as political prisoners who were seen as operatives for the West.) The fact that the British never established a proper colony on the mainland did not mean the effects of their efforts to colonize were not destructive or that there was no backlash against those attempts.

Of course, Taiwan - a holdover from the traditional, pre-Communist government in China - has hardly been a bastion of personal freedom either. So, again. Alternatives to repressive regimes are not always less repressive/better, just different. And stability achieved through oppression does not always lead to equality when it eventually is overthrown.

Trade of opium is not equivalent to colonisation. Ergo: China was NEVER colonised, and "Post-colonial China" is NOT a thing!

No, the British never did get a proper foothold on the Mainland, on the continent itself. But they got HK Island, which is a strategic harbour. And over the years, they managed to get concessions so they expanded "HK" into the New Territories, which are actually on the continent itself.

And Taiwan not part of China? Next I'll be told that Taiwan deserves its independence and needs to be recognised as an independent nation from a Western viewpoint. But, there again, history and relationships are murky, and as clear.

Regarding personal freedom... wow... must be nice to have such an informed viewpoint when not living in, and actually experiencing life in a country that Western media and various political figures have painted oppressive, 'cos, yanno, skewed negative media coverage.

You know what, never mind. Insult added to injury and all that. Just... no.

/derail.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I think part of becoming a good ally is becoming comfortable with that discomfort of having to constantly re-evaluate, re-assess, and re-learn.

Absolutely.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Trade of opium is not equivalent to colonisation. Ergo: China was NEVER colonised, and "Post-colonial China" is NOT a thing!

No, the British never did get a proper foothold on the Mainland, on the continent itself. But they got HK Island, which is a strategic harbour. And over the years, they managed to get concessions so they expanded "HK" into the New Territories, which are actually on the continent itself.

And Taiwan not part of China? Next I'll be told that Taiwan deserves its independence and needs to be recognised as an independent nation from a Western viewpoint. But, there again, history and relationships are murky, and as clear.

Regarding personal freedom... wow... must be nice to have such an informed viewpoint when not living in, and actually experiencing life in a country that Western media and various political figures have painted oppressive, 'cos, yanno, skewed negative media coverage.

You know what, never mind. Insult added to injury and all that. Just... no.

/derail.

I apologize for not being more detailed. History is complex.

I still believe that the efforts of the British to colonize China played a major role in the shape of their government even though they are not post-colonial in the exact fashion as, say, India. (Because the effort was there - Britain wanted the Chinese mainland but couldn't make it happen so they settled for Hong Kong and port access.) Perhaps there's a better term for that though.

I'll point out that the US in a post-colonial government too, although I doubt most people would think of it that way since we've not been a colony for quite some time. We still have a long history of white, straight, abled, cis men talking about ending oppression, but really just putting themselves at the top of the power structure and then things carrying on much the same or worse for everyone else.

I apologize for trying to insert some sort of Western commentary on your corner of the world without further clarification that, personally, I find it to be part of a larger pattern. It was not my intent, but clearly I misstepped and I'm sorry for the insult and injury that occurred.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
While working together is important, an "umbrella organization" sounds like bureaucracy, which seems antithetical to to the goals of activism.

I often say "marginalized peoples".

When I do say "minority", I often say "underrepresented minorities", which is an important distinction. For example, US universities often tout "diversity" by pointing to their population of international students while ignoring underrepresented minorities domestically. International students are often minorities, but they are rarely underrepresented on college campuses.

As a sidenote...

"An umbrella organization." "A common vocabulary."

These are things which would make things easier for outsiders, so I understand why they are appealing. But I also can't but help but notice and feel like they're also indicative to a certain mindset.

People who rail against "political correctness" often ask for rules, and criticize how it's so hard to know what's right and isn't right when it comes to respecting women and underrepresented minorities. Because context is so important. Because we have too many identities. Because change is hard.

I don't remember if it's in this thread or the cultural appropriation one, but someone pointed out how marginalized peoples have to be familiar with the customs and expectations of the majority, but the majority doesn't have to be familiar with the customs and expectations of the minority.

And that's part of the point of intersectional feminism. That it isn't easy, and there can't always be common rules. There can't even always be common vocabulary, because context always matters. The LGBTQ+ community is a perfect example of this. The choice of whether to use the word "queer" or not depends completely on one's audience. If you don't know what pronoun to use, then ask before presuming.

Women and underrepresented minorities often don't have the luxury of assuming. We have to learn to speak the language of the oppressor, and adapt to his expectations. We have to constantly question and interrogate the situation.

I think a major goal of intersectionality is leveling that playing field. Allies are used to feeling safe, and want to know "the rules" for what to do to be a good ally. But it can never be that simple, and I think understanding that is step 1 in being a good ally.

I think part of becoming a good ally is becoming comfortable with that discomfort of having to constantly re-evaluate, re-assess, and re-learn.

It is really strange that intersectionality isn't an obvious concern of everyone. That seems to be a consequence of the bloody strange desire many people have for there to be simple rules.

As you say, context always matters. There can't be simple rules because there are no simple situations. The universe is extremely complicated. Arguably, everything that happens in the universe consists of many processes unfolding in evolving contexts.

We are sapient biochemical beings interacting in societies while trying to live in this complex universe.

I'd argue that our kind of sapience would only evolve in a universe that cannot be dealt with by simple rules.

If the universe could be dealt with by simple rules, then a non-sapient thing that follows those rules would survive whereas an intelligence that can create models of complex reality would be left in the dust.

People who want simple rules for things are saying that they don't want to think about those things and therefore that they don't really care about those things.

But we're talking about human lives. Someone who says they don't care about the lives of others is writing themselves out of the human race.

The privileged aspects of people's lives are those in which they demand simple rules, and which they will not bother to work for if they are not given them.

The oddest part of all of this is that it is this very complexity and nuanced variety that makes humanity beautiful and interesting. It is the very lack of simple rules that will "work" with everyone that makes meeting and interacting with people worth the time and thought.

Bigotry asserts that if you've seen one of a type of person, you've seen them all.

What the bigoted are revealing is that they haven't even seen one.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I agree with kuwi on an "umbrella organization" because I haven't seen one yet that sets priorities I can fully agree with. Somebody is going to get short-shrifted because of resources and no one should be left behind in this movement. It has to be inclusive at all times. Prove to me an umbrella organization can do that and I might change my mind.

I have a different take on having a vocabulary or lexicon: I think one is needed, even though I recognize it can get messy. We need a common language to communicate with each other to locate our own tribes (our major points of intersection), to communicate with other tribes, and also to communicate with those outside—allies and those who would be allies. Take the word intersectionality; it's a word (a concept) that is easily understood. It's not a perfect word because it can never be nuanced enough. New injustices and new loci are being identified all the time. I've seen intersectionality likened to a pie; I see it as a multitude of intersecting starbursts. Still, "intersectionality" works as well as any word possibly could, imho. Almost everyone understands the concept of intersecting points.

So.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I agree with kuwi on an "umbrella organization" because I haven't seen one yet that sets priorities I can fully agree with. Somebody is going to get short-shrifted because of resources and no one should be left behind in this movement. It has to be inclusive at all times. Prove to me an umbrella organization can do that and I might change my mind.

I have a different take on having a vocabulary or lexicon: I think one is needed, even though I recognize it can get messy. We need a common language to communicate with each other to locate our own tribes (our major points of intersection), to communicate with other tribes, and also to communicate with those outside—allies and those who would be allies. Take the word intersectionality; it's a word (a concept) that is easily understood. It's not a perfect word because it can never be nuanced enough. New injustices and new loci are being identified all the time. I've seen intersectionality likened to a pie; I see it as a multitude of intersecting starbursts. Still, "intersectionality" works as well as any word possibly could, imho. Almost everyone understands the concept of intersecting points.

So.

In my head intersectionality looks like a really complex Venn diagram.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Just revisited this thread. Saw the following, and realized that it was that time again for me to contribute something to AW for all the good info I've received here for the last 4+ years.

… I would contribute to NARAL, but fuck if NOW would get the shine off a dime from me …
You sound so vehement. Something wrong with NOW?

As for your general message: I can agree with it. We all have limited energy, time, and money to spend. We have to select the one(s) we feel most strongly about.

However, I suggest we need to at least morally support many movements. Women and minorities of all kinds, from the aged and LGBT+ to immigrants and people of color, all face the same hostile forces of conformity and prejudice, of hatred of the different.

Right now, I agree with kuwi on an "umbrella organization" because I haven't seen one yet that sets priorities I can fully agree with. Somebody is going to get short-shrifted because of resources and no one should be left behind in this movement.

True - if you're thinking of some huge formal group which exercises control over all members. I'm thinking more on the lines of a loose confederation which shares plans so that we can work together and not at cross purposes.

An example of that working together is today right here in L.A. The people behind the annual Gay Pride Parade coordinated with other organizations to turn it into the Resist March. It has a larger turnout than previous years.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Just revisited this thread. Saw the following, and realized that it was that time again for me to contribute something to AW for all the good info I've received here for the last 4+ years.

You sound so vehement. Something wrong with NOW?

As for your general message: I can agree with it. We all have limited energy, time, and money to spend. We have to select the one(s) we feel most strongly about.

However, I suggest we need to at least morally support many movements. Women and minorities of all kinds, from the aged and LGBT+ to immigrants and people of color, all face the same hostile forces of conformity and prejudice, of hatred of the different.

I'll just leave this here. The levels of wtfuckery in the entire thing put them on my shitlist for life.

This, and the other, are why no, I don't think we need to morally support many movements. If I say I support "animal rights," the people at Sea World will tell you the same, see, and we do not share the same beliefs, or goals, or pretty much anything. I do not want any association with them, and would not join any group that counted their org as a member, in any way.

True - if you're thinking of some huge formal group which exercises control over all members. I'm thinking more on the lines of a loose confederation which shares plans so that we can work together and not at cross purposes.

An example of that working together is today right here in L.A. The people behind the annual Gay Pride Parade coordinated with other organizations to turn it into the Resist March. It has a larger turnout than previous years.

There are many ways in which we are at cross purposes. If two, or more, groups want to get together for a thing, cool, great, the more the merrier. Umbrella orgs that cover a whole bunch of groups under the guise of 'we're all in this general thing together?' Personally, I'm not down.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to say - I didn't see LC's OP as 'lecture-y'; I saw it as his understanding of things, and in invitation to others to voice theirs...

Olika

Fall Down Kid
Registered
Reaction score
I'll just leave this here. Aside from the fact they did not apparently understand the stupid joke -- and that THEY are referring to a pregnant 18-year-old as a goddamned 'girl,' this bullshit? No.

I can't with the levels of stupidity and offense. He told a joke because he felt threatened by her? Also, NOW would like to bring up that they think she's beautiful? And the liberal thing? The levels of wtfuckery in the entire thing put them on my shitlist for life.

This, and the other, are why no, I don't think we need to morally support many movements. If I say I support "animal rights," the people at Sea World will tell you the same, see, and we do not share the same beliefs, or goals, or pretty much anything. I do not want any association with them, and would not join any group that counted their org as a member, in any way.

There are many ways in which we are at cross purposes. If two, or more, groups want to get together for a thing, cool, great, the more the merrier. Umbrella orgs that cover a whole bunch of groups under the guise of 'we're all in this general thing together?' Personally, I'm not down.

This post confuses me. The quote you've pulled is attributed to Wendy Wright in the article you linked. Wright isn't associated with NOW, as far as I can tell? The article identifies her as the president of Concerned Women for America, which is a conservative Christian group. NOW's statement appears later in the article:

The National Organization of Women also blasted Letterman for inappropriate "jokes" on its Web site Thursday.

"Comedians in search of a laugh should really know better than to snicker about men having sex with teenage girls (or young women) less than half their age," NOW said.

"The sexualization of girls and women in the media is reaching new lows these days — it is exploitative and has a negative effect on how all women and girls are perceived and how they view themselves."

Seems like an appropriate response to me. Am I missing a connection between NOW and Concerned Women for America? I've worked with a lot of NOW archival materials and have a lot of respect and affection for the women I've met while doing so, but I have to admit I know almost nothing about what the organization is currently doing.

As for the larger topic at hand, I actually think the road ahead is quite rocky for feminism, for reasons a couple of people here have already identified. Conceptions of sex and gender are changing; popular and academic understanding of concepts like privilege and oppression are shifting; social media has created a space where radical political activism and mundane personal life intermingle in ways they often couldn't before.

I think that an awareness of and a dedication to intersectionality is an absolute must for socially progressive organizations going forward, and I think that the flawed and uncomfortable history of western feminism (and the outright racism of many of the movement's early heroines) as well as the persistence of radical sects who demand adherence to a strict gender binary ("women born women" only groups, etc.) and even more moderate groups who don't know how to reapproach long-held standards (do we continue to call issues like abortion, access to hormonal birth control, and access to gynecological care "women's issues" even though they are vitally important issues to the many people who have vaginas and uteruses, but are not women? Are workshops or movements that try to empower women by confronting taboos surrounding the vagina and menstruation alienating to women who don't have vaginas and have never menstruated? etc.) will continue to cause friction. This is especially true because I think today's public is less willing to compromise generally on just about any political matter, and (as cornflake expressed above) people are rightly mistrustful of even groups that seem to share common goals.

So I don't know what feminism will look like going forward. Different, certainly. Probably more fragmented, potentially less politically powerful because of it, but also potentially more powerful if real (and successful) efforts towards creating inclusive and intersectional organizations and institutions are made. I think whatever transformation occurs, it will be somewhat painful.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, yikes, that's obviously my bad. Thanks for telling me. That's what I get for clicking on a Fox link and skimming.

Here's their statement, from their website, in which they refer to her as a girl and characterize the joke as somehow part of the sexualization of women in the media. They do not call her beautiful; I still think their response was utter bs.

That's not the only position of theirs I have trouble wiith -- it was just the end.

Olika

Fall Down Kid
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, yikes, that's obviously my bad. Thanks for telling me. That's what I get for clicking on a Fox link and skimming.

Here's their statement, from their website, in which they refer to her as a girl and characterize the joke as somehow part of the sexualization of women in the media. They do not call her beautiful; I still think their response was utter bs.

That's not the only position of theirs I have trouble wiith -- it was just the end.

They refer to "teenage girls (or young women)." The phrasing makes me think they used both to cover both the unintentional reality of the joke (Letterman unintentionally suggesting that a 14 year old--a teenage girl--had been "knocked up" by a baseball player) and the intented, explained, and semi-apologized-for joke (same joke, but with an 18 year old--a young woman). That's how I took it, anyway; phrased that way, it reads to me that they think both jokes are inappropriate, and I agree. In fact, the thing that bothers me most about their statement is actually that they specify the "half their age" part. I think it's generally inappropriate to mock and deride the totally theoretical sex life of most people on national television, regardless of age.

I confused how going after the sex life of a politician's daughter isn't part of the media's sexualization of women. Can you elaborate? I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but their response seems really measured to me (especially the part about Chelsea Clinton and how different the response was when the media commented on her appearance), so I'd like to hear another perspective. And I think it's messed up that mocking Palin's "slutty" appearance is a go-to insult for a woman who has so many awful real qualities, and is also evidence of sexism in the media.

Like I said, I'm not super familiar with what NOW is up to these days, and I think their role as a long-running women's rights group doesn't grant them any special leeway or guaranteed respect. So I'd love to hear more about your problems with the organization, if you'd be willing to share them. I'm looking at their website now and I appreciate how they have specific sections for economic justice, racial justice, and LGBTQ rights...but nice website subheadings don't necessarily mean they walk the walk in terms of outreach, support, alliship, etc. After all, only a few of those issues seem to have made it onto their action program.

I guess this is kind of what I was talking about earlier, though. Feminism was probably never as cohesive a movement as hindsight has led me to believe, but it does feel really fragile and unstable right now. I look at NOW I see a group that's making, if nothing else, a good faith effort--and that effort is going to be fundamentally incompatible with a lot of feminists, for a variety of reasons, some of which I'd probably completely understand and agree with and some of which would probably make me think, "good, don't let the door hit you on the way out." And I feel like ten years ago, I would've been more willing to embrace those people in the second group in spite of our differences and work with them. Now I just have no time, no patience whatsoever for them. Feminism will be intersectional or it will be garbage.

And I know that's nothing new, there has always, always been activist infighting and sometimes it has galvanized movements rather than tearing them apart. It feels sometimes like we're approaching a threshold that could fracture us completely, for better or for worse. Maybe I just feel that way because Trump is in office and the stakes feel higher right now, plus current politics might just have me feeling apocalyptic, I don't know. But for me, on a personal level, it's...I don't know, it kind of scares me, lol. I've changed and the movement has changed, And I wonder and worry about the future of feminism, if it can survive at all, if it SHOULD survive at all, if I've been hiking up the wrong path for all these years and it doesn't actually lead to greater equality, just a different kind of inequality. And if that's true, how do I help fix it?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
They refer to "teenage girls (or young women)." The phrasing makes me think they used both to cover both the unintentional reality of the joke (Letterman unintentionally suggesting that a 14 year old--a teenage girl--had been "knocked up" by a baseball player) and the intented, explained, and semi-apologized-for joke (same joke, but with an 18 year old--a young woman). That's how I took it, anyway; phrased that way, it reads to me that they think both jokes are inappropriate, and I agree. In fact, the thing that bothers me most about their statement is actually that they specify the "half their age" part. I think it's generally inappropriate to mock and deride the totally theoretical sex life of most people on national television, regardless of age.

I confused how going after the sex life of a politician's daughter isn't part of the media's sexualization of women. Can you elaborate? I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but their response seems really measured to me (especially the part about Chelsea Clinton and how different the response was when the media commented on her appearance), so I'd like to hear another perspective. And I think it's messed up that mocking Palin's "slutty" appearance is a go-to insult for a woman who has so many awful real qualities, and is also evidence of sexism in the media.

Like I said, I'm not super familiar with what NOW is up to these days, and I think their role as a long-running women's rights group doesn't grant them any special leeway or guaranteed respect. So I'd love to hear more about your problems with the organization, if you'd be willing to share them. I'm looking at their website now and I appreciate how they have specific sections for economic justice, racial justice, and LGBTQ rights...but nice website subheadings don't necessarily mean they walk the walk in terms of outreach, support, alliship, etc. After all, only a few of those issues seem to have made it onto their action program.

I guess this is kind of what I was talking about earlier, though. Feminism was probably never as cohesive a movement as hindsight has led me to believe, but it does feel really fragile and unstable right now. I look at NOW I see a group that's making, if nothing else, a good faith effort--and that effort is going to be fundamentally incompatible with a lot of feminists, for a variety of reasons, some of which I'd probably completely understand and agree with and some of which would probably make me think, "good, don't let the door hit you on the way out." And I feel like ten years ago, I would've been more willing to embrace those people in the second group in spite of our differences and work with them. Now I just have no time, no patience whatsoever for them. Feminism will be intersectional or it will be garbage.

And I know that's nothing new, there has always, always been activist infighting and sometimes it has galvanized movements rather than tearing them apart. It feels sometimes like we're approaching a threshold that could fracture us completely, for better or for worse. Maybe I just feel that way because Trump is in office and the stakes feel higher right now, plus current politics might just have me feeling apocalyptic, I don't know. But for me, on a personal level, it's...I don't know, it kind of scares me, lol. I've changed and the movement has changed, And I wonder and worry about the future of feminism, if it can survive at all, if it SHOULD survive at all, if I've been hiking up the wrong path for all these years and it doesn't actually lead to greater equality, just a different kind of inequality. And if that's true, how do I help fix it?

Ok, so -- and I was wildly pissed off about this when it happened, and spoke to a NOW person about it and yeah... so happy to explain my position.

This is what he said in the monologue, about them:

“Sarah Palin went to a Yankees game yesterday. There was one awkward moment during the seventh-inning stretch: her daughter was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez.”

"The toughest part of (Palin's) visit (to New York) was keeping Eliot Spitzer away from her daughter."

Palin claimed those jokes were about Willow, the 14-year-old (at the time), because Willow was at the game, and thus Letterman was "threatening." a child, advocating child rape, whatever.

The first joke is somewhat about Bristol, who was then 18 and had announced she was pregnant. It makes no sense if the joke is about Willow, to begin with, as Willow was a child, barely in the news, certainly not in the news for being pregnant, and the awkwardness around Bristol's pregnancy came from her mother's stance on abstinence. It's mostly, however, a joke about A-Rod, a noted serial dater (and star fucker), but with legally-aged partners.

The second joke is a little about Palin and the rest entirely about Spitzer, full stop.

I don't think either joke is inappropriate. Neither, I'd wager, did Palin. Here's a fun list of comics cracking jokes that involve Bristol being pregnant. Among them is Jay Leno, who said:

Gov. Palin announced over the weekend that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant. And you thought John Edwards was in trouble before! Now he has really done it.

That joke? Very similar to Letterman's. Also, about John Edwards. Leno was thought of as very friendly toward Republican candidates and office-holders; Letterman was not. I don't know what prompted Palin's, or her camp's response to one thing and not several others, including comparing Bristol to Jamie Lynn Spears. I have a guess, but it's likely biased. *shrug* I realize Willow was the one at the game, but presuming the writers/Dave knew that and specifically crafted the joke to mean that, when it doesn't make a ton of sense if it does mean that, and the joke is, again, mostly directed at A-Rod ... seems a stretch to me.

As to mocking people's sex lives -- I don't think he was mocking anyone's sex life but A-Rod's and Spitzer's, and the mocking isn't about people's sex lives in comedy; it's about hypocrisy. Using Bristol and the knocked up with Palin and awkward is a joke because it's awkward that Bristol got pregnant when her mother spent so much time going around preaching about abstinence being the best way to prevent teen pregnancy, and being against birth control. Awkward. Spitzer's sex life isn't anyone's business until he might have mishandled government funds to pay for his prostitutes. Hypocrisy. A-Rod was a target because he was, at the time, under attack for being more interested in his off-field activities than doing his job.

Limbaugh calling Chelsea Clinton the WH dog because he thought she was unattractive isn't comedy. There's no joke there. It's just saying you think a child is ugly. That's not funny unless you're the type of person who finds that funny, I suppose. Saying the toughest part of Palin's visit to NY is to keep Spitzer away from her kid is a joke. It's not a high-bar, reaching-for-the-stars, finely crafted joke, but it's a semi-decent daily monologue joke. It hits on both the idea that Palin doesn't do actual political policy-type work, and that Spitzer had a problem with seeking sex that ended his career. That's all, but it's a joke.

So, all that said, the point is that I don't think he was going after Bristol's sex life at all. I do think he had every right to joke about her being pregnant in the context he did (her mother's attitudes/policies, etc.), as Bristol was an adult who put herself into the media. She spoke to the media. She was not, like the Obama girls or Chelsea, held back away from the press, and not engaging of their own accord except in very specific circumstance.

As to how it's the media's sexualization of women to mention her -- is it sexualization of men to mention A-Rod and Spitzer? I don't see a difference there. It's not as if Bristol had some body of professional work he was not discussing in order to focus solely on her pregnancy. She had done nothing public besides announce she was pregnant.

The Palin slutty airline attendant thing I'll grant you -- it was one of the Top Ten that night -- and slutty isn't helpful, is shaming, etc. The number of jokes he told about Palin over the time she was in the spotlight was large, and not focused on language like that, though sometimes it did focus on her appearance. He used to say she looked like a Lenscrafters model a lot; he also made jokes about her policies, very specific stuff she said, etc. Appearance is but one thing to joke about.

He also commented on Obama's appearance a lot, Bush's, Clinton's, etc. He's a comic. That is not, in any way, a thing that he did just with women. Slutty was the wrong way to go, a word that shouldn't have been used, but never commenting on anyone's appearance is just not a thing in comedy. Maybe someday it will be, but it's not today, and women are not the sole recipients of the jokes, ask Chris Christie, Bill Clinton, etc.

I don't think everything NOW does is bad; I'm sure they still support things I support. This -- their immediate leap to criticize him when Palin came out swinging and saying he made a joke about raping a child -- was infuriating to me. As above, Leno made basically the same joke, as did several other comics, late-night hosts and otherwise. It read to me as Palin criticized him and they came right to her defense, sort of without considering, well, anything. Not ok.

In a general NOW sense, for a long time, they've been against legislation that moves toward promoting shared custody as the default, and against ending alimony. This is a Salon piece noting the history of some of it. This is a very recent Fla. statute they fought. They also do stuff like support cheerleading being defined as a sport, glossing over what I'd think are the kind of inherent feminist issues with it.

Someone may totally disagree with me on those things, which is why, as above, I don't think an umbrella org works. Someone might also think of themselves as pro animal rights and be in favour of Sea World or hunting culls. Got me. People are crazy all over. ;)

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Cornflake, this is a little like asking "What's the future of anti-racism?" by concentrating on Black Lives Matter, and whether their statements are always internally consistent or in line with the asker's personal views on racial justice.

Feminism isn't controlled by NOW, or college professors, or any other group. It's a response by women (and men interested in fairness) who have noticed that there are many things that appear unfairly weighted against women. This response is individual, although many individuals going in one direction makes a movement.

So, I'd say the "future of feminism" is for a lot of thinkers to say various things, generally inspired by the viewpoint that life would be better for all of us if women were treated fairly. Just as "anti-racism" will be a movement of people who believe in general that life will be better when people of all races are treated equally.

What that entails can range widely. People of good faith can argue minutiae about whether last night's standup routine was harmful or helpful to the cause. In fact, they can legitimately disagree on important issues, such as what "fairness and equality" really means. And the radical fringe will always lurk around to take any reasonable position to an irrational extreme. Guess what? These things aren't unique to feminism, or problems it must solve when other movements for social justice can ignore them.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I think, what with all of these different intersections and different perspectives, that some areas of feminism will be fragmented, while for other people, intersectional groups may be key for true equality in the future, I guess.

(I am personally for the more fragmented and more focused groups. Not all of us in the various spectrums have the same perspectives, or agree on the same goals, outside of the overall goal of being treated like human beings, or even agree on the same methods to reach said goal/s. I'm finding that I'm pretty conservative and religious in a few areas, so I wouldn't be for any all-around umbrella or broad intersectional groups. I have enough to deal with in my corner of the spectrum.)

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Cornflake, this is a little like asking "What's the future of anti-racism?" by concentrating on Black Lives Matter, and whether their statements are always internally consistent or in line with the asker's personal views on racial justice.

Feminism isn't controlled by NOW, or college professors, or any other group. It's a response by women (and men interested in fairness) who have noticed that there are many things that appear unfairly weighted against women. This response is individual, although many individuals going in one direction makes a movement.

So, I'd say the "future of feminism" is for a lot of thinkers to say various things, generally inspired by the viewpoint that life would be better for all of us if women were treated fairly. Just as "anti-racism" will be a movement of people who believe in general that life will be better when people of all races are treated equally.

What that entails can range widely. People of good faith can argue minutiae about whether last night's standup routine was harmful or helpful to the cause. In fact, they can legitimately disagree on important issues, such as what "fairness and equality" really means. And the radical fringe will always lurk around to take any reasonable position to an irrational extreme. Guess what? These things aren't unique to feminism, or problems it must solve when other movements for social justice can ignore them.

I wasn't arguing, or meaning to suggest, that NOW was the future of feminism, or shouldn't be considered feminist or involved in feminism or anything like that.

I was just saying I don't think an overarching umbrella thing coordinating 'feminist agenda' will work, as it does mean different things to different people and different groups have different agendas. I think at base, equality is the goal, but look in the Wonder Woman screening thread and see the issue that brings up.

The post w/re NOW was just me trying to explain my particular feelings about that particular org, in response to a question that followed my saying why I don't think everyone gathering under one umbrella will work. Same as anti-racism contains BLM and other movements that may be at odds with each other but all are invested in combating racism.

The future of feminism to me, at this point, in the U.S., looks pretty damn bleak after November.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think it looks no more bleak than fighting racism. Setbacks, in fact, are more likely to spur subsequent advances than complacency ever does. A holding pattern may be perceived as tolerable.

Many young women refuse to call themselves feminists, while accepting all the gains that feminists fought for centuries to achieve. I suspect this is because they genuinely don't know that these rights once would not have been theirs. If they have to roll up their sleeves and fight for their own rights, I suspect they will not be as afraid of offending delicate male sensibilities by claiming the title of feminist.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Women are just over half the population. Black people are roughly (obviously depending on many factors), about 14% of the U.S. population.

Black people got the right to vote in 1870. Women got the vote in 1920.

The Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964. The Equal Rights Amendment was passed...

A black man became president in 2008. A woman became president in....

Many, many times, when an issue is brought up, like the wage gap between men and women, the conversation becomes 'there's a wage gap between these groups too; income inequality is a problem for so many people, don't just focus on...' See the backlash Patricia Arquette got for her speech at the Academy Awards?

To me, looks far, far more bleak than fighting racism. Which is not to say racism doesn't still need fighting. I'm just saying something seems to keep getting pushed aside.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I think it looks no more bleak than fighting racism. Setbacks, in fact, are more likely to spur subsequent advances than complacency ever does. A holding pattern may be perceived as tolerable.

Many young women refuse to call themselves feminists, while accepting all the gains that feminists fought for centuries to achieve. I suspect this is because they genuinely don't know that these rights once would not have been theirs. If they have to roll up their sleeves and fight for their own rights, I suspect they will not be as afraid of offending delicate male sensibilities by claiming the title of feminist.

This is my view, too. The current situation is bleak, the near-term situation is bleak. But I don't think the long-term is bleak. We're experiencing a backlash and pushback greater than we've seen since the '70s . . . in some ways, greater than the '70s. We became complacent about the rights we'd won, forgetting that those rights have to be fought for everydamnedday. Women won the right to vote thirty years before I was born. I grew up expecting to vote when I was old enough. I took it for granted. So I don't blame younger women for being complacent about the rights won before their births.

We have more allies than we had back then and that's major. We're going to have to recover lost ground while still looking forward. I think it's going to get ugly before it gets better. That feels awfully bleak, yes. I still have hope for the future even though I expect to see only recovery in the time I have remaining.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
So NOW isn't perfect. Or more correctly some NOW members may screw up publicly. Big deal. I've been a member since 1965. I've seen plenty of examples. But I'm not giving up on the organization.

About bleakness for feminism. I've seen this too, advances then backlash. But I've also seen more advances then more backlash. Then the cycle repeated again. But in the long run I see progress.

A few trends I've noticed. Obviously these are only from my limited perspective.

More medical advances in family planning. More blacks and other racial minorities getting involved in organized activities. More men getting involved. A tiny few, true, but the message is slowly seeping into us just how our female family and friends get hurt by inequality. Too, that WE are hurt by it, though less so than women.

I also see an evolution in awareness of women's concerns in the books I read and the TV shows and movies I see. The progress is small and slow, but it's there, obvious to someone who lived through the literary and cinematic ambience of the 50s and 60s. From awareness eventually comes action, though slow and halting. Slow and halting is how every historical process has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.