Theatre Chain Criticized for All-Female Screenings of Wonder Woman, so....

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The number of screens, is not all that important, you have the candy shop and perhaps only one projectionist, nor the number of screenings or theatres it effects.
It is whether it is right or wrong, and IMHO two wrongs dont always make a right ( sometimes they might though? I honestly don't know the awnser here.

Is it really a wrong we're talking about here?

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
My gut says it's right but i am a scientist to some extent so i don't trust it
(maybe if one looks at the greater good?)

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just feel like a more progressive company like the Alamo Drafthouse (which is cool, by the way) should strive to be more gender-blind, and not actually draw lines about when/where their employees can work, based on their gender. Why create barriers when we should be breaking them down?
I also don't feel like reverse discrimination is usually a positive thing, even if it feels fair at the time.

Yes, you are probably right.

The number of screens, is not all that important, you have the candy shop and perhaps only one projectionist, nor the number of screenings or theatres it effects.
It is whether it is right or wrong, and IMHO two wrongs dont always make a right ( sometimes they might though? I honestly don't know the awnser here. ( bottom line if it's legal it's probably ok )

I swear, every time anyone tries to do anything to celebrate a female or PoC milestone, or try to uplift female and/or PoC voices, there are always people who cry "REVERSE DISCRIMINATION" and "shouldn't we strive to be gender/color-blind"? It's getting pretty bloody tiresome.

Here is why Reverse Oppression is not a thing.

only oppressed people experience all of that and institutionalized violence and systematic erasure. See, and that’s why it’s not possible to be sexist against men. Because you can stereotype men. And you can be prejudiced against men. And you can also discriminate against men. And none of that is okay! But oppression – because it is institutionalized and systematic – is another level entirely.

[SNIP]

When people in power are stereotyped or discriminated against – awful as that is – it isn’t the result of subjugation, regardless of what the dictionary tells you. Those negative attitudes toward privileged people aren’t pervasive, restrictive, or hierarchal.
That is, they aren’t losing out on anything just because someone’s words, actions, or beliefs were hurtful – or even harmful.

And that’s a significant difference.
Oppression cannot exist without a force of power behind it. And this is exactly why the idea that a dominant group being subjugated is so laughable – because what force is driving it?

I'd like to highlight this point: they aren’t losing out on anything just because someone’s words, actions, or beliefs were hurtful – or even harmful.

So you guys, tying yourselves up in knots about this being reverse discrimination, it is ONE company, with a HANDFUL OF SHOWINGS. Men are literally NOT losing out. They are welcome to watch the movie at ANY OTHER TIMES, or even boycott this ONE COMPANY and watch it at other cinemas.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

This just kind of couldn't sound more condescending. What greater good?

Just btw, it's not one projectionist and a 'candy shop' worker. Alamo is a dinner movie place. Any theatre would have ushers, etc., but at Alamo it's chefs, waitstaff, busers, etc., etc. to run a show in addition to everyone at a normal theatre.

The whole "backlash" is the equivalent of a dad explaining that tomorrow, the kids are going to make mom breakfast and do something nice for Mother's Day (or vice versa Father's Day) and the kids asking 'why is there Mother's Day? That's not fair! When's kid's day??'

Last edited:

Beanie5

Registered
Reaction score
Ok I'm fine with that discrimnation is ok stuff thanks i thought it was ok. Like positive discrimnation, I only bought in when they said the projectionists had to be female for the life of me i couldn't see why that was neccasary and made me uneasy.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Ok I'm fine with that discrimnation is ok stuff thanks i thought it was ok. Like positive discrimnation, I only bought in when they said the projectionists had to be female for the life of me i couldn't see why that was neccasary and made me uneasy.

The projectionists, chefs, waitstaff, ushers, busers, cleaners, etc., are all going to be female because... that's the point of the event?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I'm all for it, but i remember seeing the first female supreme court judge saying equality meant you had to take the good with the bad? So i guess my heart says yes and my head says maybe not.

I only just saw this - the first of the four female SC justices we've had said that?

Ok, uhm, when the U.S. achieves equality, I guess we can discuss the whole Wonder Woman thing again then?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
The whole "backlash" is the equivalent of a dad explaining that tomorrow, the kids are going to make mom breakfast and do something nice for Mother's Day (or vice versa Father's Day) and the kids asking 'why is there Mother's Day? That's not fair! When's kid's day??'

That's like all those whingers on Twitter who bleat 'What about the menz?' on International Women's Day. Richard Herring does sterling work responding to those tweets with the date of International Men's Day. I think he might have handed over the job to a bot now, but, my goodness, he's dedicated to the job.

It would be lovely to have one thing -- just one thing -- without all these tiresome blokes complaining about it. At least, if there are going to be tanties, perhaps they could have the courage not to wrap it up in faux concerns about 'equality'.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

Because...that's a man's job?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
That's like all those whingers on Twitter who bleat 'What about the menz?' on International Women's Day. Richard Herring does sterling work responding to those tweets with the date of International Men's Day. I think he might have handed over the job to a bot now, but, my goodness, he's dedicated to the job.

It would be lovely to have one thing -- just one thing -- without all these tiresome blokes complaining about it. At least, if there are going to be tanties, perhaps they could have the courage not to wrap it up in faux concerns about 'equality'.

Nicer than my parents, who said "the other 364 days of the year."

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Out of curiosity, could you explain why exactly that particular point made you uneasy?

ETA: I would also love to know, from one scientist's PoV, how this is bad in terms of "the greater good".

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
So... we get to celebrate a superheroine film in one way, but that one way is unacceptable to men? Do mansplain some more.

Beanie5

Registered
Reaction score
I am happy with a celerbration of being female and all that entails . there is a point determined by good taste where the line perhaps should be drawn and i understand that this varies for different people , I do not endorse unneccasary discrimination is the point I am trying to make please i am out from here.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am happy with a celerbration of being female and all that entails . there is a point determined by good taste where the line perhaps should be drawn

What defines "good taste", though? That seems like a very unscientific and arbitrary term, especially coming from someone who said he's approaching this as a scientist. :-/

and i understand that this varies for different people , I do not endorse unneccasary discrimination is the point I am trying to make please i am out from here.

Oh well. I was expecting an actual scientific reasoning here. Mr. Putt is a physicist and we sometimes disagree on social issues, whereupon he'd sometimes back up his opinion with very interesting science-based arguments which I would never have thought of (sometimes he doesn't). Terms like "good taste", and "unnecessary discrimination" (when you haven't proven why reverse discrimination is actually a Thing) are about as useful here as a marshmallow teapot.

I must say, I'm disappointed, especially when you stated your PoV "as a scientist" and claimed you were suspicious because you were seeing things in terms of "a greater good".

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I am happy with a celerbration of being female and all that entails . there is a point determined by good taste where the line perhaps should be drawn and i understand that this varies for different people , I do not endorse unneccasary discrimination is the point I am trying to make please i am out from here.

I, for one, am delighted that we have been given permission to celebrate being female -- as long as we don't don't venture beyond the boundaries of necessary discrimination, of course.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
For god's sake, people, why work so hard at trying to hunt up problems with this? There are multiple screens in any Drafthouse. All they'd have to do is assign women to the ONE screen for the women-only showing, and any male employees can work one of the several other screens. No one is going to lose out on work over this.

Because boys are being excluded. ​That makes it the apocalypse.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Because boys are being excluded. ​That makes it the apocalypse.
Yeah, women get all the treats. I'd be mildly miffed if that was the only show in town for weeks on end.

Oh wait. The movie is Wonder Woman?

Sure. Have it all.

-cb

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
So... we get to celebrate a superheroine film in one way, but that one way is unacceptable to men? Do mansplain some more.

Probably from the same guys who were incensed that the new Ghostbusters film had a female team.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I just have one question...how are women going to understand the movie without men there to explain superheroes to them? Girls don't read comics!
Don't you see? Their diligent menfolk will all have to 'splain things to them afterwards, something which could be done during the movie if it wasn't for this terrible apartheid.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Don't you see? Their diligent menfolk will all have to 'splain things to them afterwards, something which could be done during the movie if it wasn't for this terrible apartheid.

Diligence AND True Love[SUP]©[/SUP], because nothing says 'splaining like pontificating about a movie one hasn't seen.

*sighs*
*clasps hands under chin*